We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dining suggestions

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Dining suggestions

We're heading to disney at the end of August, myself, my wife, son (10) and daughters(10,6). We're doing the dining plan and I'm looking at mapping out our sit down dinner options.

Already planning to do the Royal Palace with the princesses, the Oahu breakfast and the T-Rex restaurant for sure. Wondering if anyone has any recommendations for other restaurants that are good for kids. I also wondered how the dinner shows are? Would rather not use two sit-down credits if they're not that great and use them to get some higher end meals. Any help is appreciated!

england
Level Contributor
4,901 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dining suggestions

Sci fi cafe is good for the athmosthere, Kids love it. The whole restaurant is set out like a drive in movie theatre and you sit at tables shaped like a car and watch old 50's style movies.

Breakfast with stitch is wonderful (i think thats what you may mean by Oahu) its ohanas at polynesian resort.

Coral reef has a giant fish tank which is great to watch.(epcot)

Possibily garden grill in epcot, that is a character dining and the whole restaurant revolves slowly as you eat so your view is constantly changing

Tellico Plains...
Level Contributor
631 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dining suggestions

Cape May Cafe is great for breakfast it is 1 table service dining credit. It is great to eat here the morning you are going to Epcot as you can walk out the back door and be there in 5mins. They are so close they do not have bus service to this park. They have Minni, Goofy, Donald for the characters dressed for the beach. Buffet has high end food such as smoked samon to Mickey Waffles and everything between.

For high end dining on 1 table service credit try Wolfgang Puck Cafe Down Town Disney. Family of 4 was over $200.00 and worth every credit. They do not have characters here but they have mouth watering delicous food and wonderful service. For me Coral Reef fell flat the service was top notch but the food was 2 out of 5. They was missing part of main ingredients for dessert and lobster mack n' cheese tasted like it was literally out of a box.

pa
Level Contributor
54,002 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dining suggestions

There aren't too many bad choices

Have a look at the options and the menus and make a little list of those that interest you, come back for feedback :)

The Dining Plan Restaurants and Menus

wdwinfo.com/disney-dining-plan-restaurants.h…

And just for fun, here are all the yummy treats you can use your snack credits on

www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3039087

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
994 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dining suggestions

My boys (13 and 7 last summer) enjoyed T Rex. They also liked Via Napoli, as it had nice dessert options.

Crystal Palace in Magic Kingdom is also fun. We like to do a 10 am breakfast on the Extra Magic Hours Day...that way, we can go to the park, take advantage of the early start, and then have a late breakfast that almost counts as lunch too.

We haven't done any of the dinner shows. We have trouble packing everything in as it is. :) Maybe someday.

We had our kids look at all of the menus and pictures of the restaurants, and each one got to choose a sit-down restaurant for us. It involved them in the process and they loved being the "expert" on their restaurant. Enjoy your planning!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dining suggestions

Thanks for all the suggestions... right now I think I'm considering:

T-Rex

Ohana's (breakfast with Stitch)

Sci-fi

Be our Guest

Crystal Palace

Cinderella's Royal Table

Coral Reef

Tusker's

Teppan Edo

Rose and Crown

Rainforest Cafe

We're there for 11 days with a parkhopper, staying at Art of Animation so getting around to different spots isn't an issue.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dining suggestions

I would cross off the Rose & Crown, the last couple of times we had awful food, not enjoyable at all. The last time we were there there was 4 of us we all ordered something different and no one enjoyed their meal. my friend ordered the curry and it was completely inedible. Go with Via Napoli, great food & great service.

england
Level Contributor
4,901 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dining suggestions

11 days? ou have 12 credits written down on your list...royal table classes as 2 credit dining, are you aware of this?

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dining suggestions

Yes I know there's more than 11 listed there, just trying to get some feedback on potential choices before I make my decisions since ill have to make my reservations fairly soon. Thanks for all the feedback,will ate Rose and Crown off the list.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dining suggestions

I agree that Rose and Crown should come off. I had one meal there, and the service was awful, and the food was nothing to write home about.

I guess you know there are 2 Rainforest Cafes (Animal Kingdom and Downtown Disney), and that they are owned by the same bunch that owns T-Rex. I like the animatronic elephants at RC, but don't like apes, so I ask for an elephant view - if your views are opposite, ask for apes. I like the RC at AK much better than the one at DD, as we always seemed to get some table with no space around us at DD (on the one visit, I wasn't even sure the waitress would be able to get to us).

Crystal Palace is $$$, so that is a good one if you are on the DDP. I guess you are aware that the characters there are from Winnie the Pooh (Pooh, Eeyore, Tigger, and Piglet), so it helps if at least one of your party is a fan of someone in the Pooh stories. My wife likes Eeyore, so she was always glad to see him.

As far as the Sci-Fi, I didn't like sharing a "car" (tables are arranged in groups by cars) with strangers, but with 5 people you should get your own car. I think Sci-Fi is worth doing once just to see all the unintentionally funny and cheesy sci-fi movies from 50 years ago.

Edited: 04 February 2013, 21:18
10. Re: Dining suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2014, 05:17