We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking of Upgrading Dining Plan Plus to Deluxe??

London, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Thinking of Upgrading Dining Plan Plus to Deluxe??

We thinking of upgrading our dining plan so that we may take advantage of several of the 2 credit restaurants....but Boy the price increase seems like a lot. Has anyone done this? and do you recommend it? We have a 5 year old and we are already booked in for the Castle meal which is 2 credits, and we have our eye on some others that require 2 credits. Maybe we should just pay the difference,,no idea what to think...any advice??

NJ
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thinking of Upgrading Dining Plan Plus to Deluxe??

We did it once and it was a lot of food. It was 2 adults and 1 little one. That said, we upgraded a free dining plan, so it was not a crazy amount of $. We went to a lot of 2 credit meals and we used some credits for counter service. It was fun, but we were tired of eating at the end! When we go with the whole family, we tend to stick withe the regular plan and pay out of pocket for the Signature meals. You can crunch some numbers on those meals and see what is worth it.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thinking of Upgrading Dining Plan Plus to Deluxe??

I had the same experience as the poster in 1. I upgraded free dining, and I would not do the deluxe again. To make it pay, we had to eat until we were ready to explode. Also, it requires lots of sit-down meals, which take up a lot of time that you would otherwise spend in the parks. As noted in post 1, if I were you I would crunch numbers to see if it would pay in your case, but don't assume that it always makes sense to upgrade.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,241 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thinking of Upgrading Dining Plan Plus to Deluxe??

Unless you are a Really REally REally big eater it is too much food.

But if you ate a 2 credit at least once if not twice a day you might make a week. No way you'd make a fortnight w/o a coronary bypass.

pa
Level Contributor
54,829 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Thinking of Upgrading Dining Plan Plus to Deluxe??

It really is a lot of food

There are so many wonderful 1 credit Restaurant options. We get the Refular Plan and always have enough to eat

If you have your heart set on a few Signature Dining Experiences, pay out of pocket for the least expensive one or ones

Keep in mind you can use snack credits for lots of breakfast treats and also, the counter service meals are quite a good size, we often share them, making your credits go a lot further

Snacks

www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3039087

Edited: 08 February 2013, 21:24
New Haven...
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thinking of Upgrading Dining Plan Plus to Deluxe??

I love deluxe dining for adult only trips- but with kids- I think it's just too much sitting in restaurants for the most part- unless you're a family that does a lot of high end restaurants at home and your daughter is very used to that. You really have to go to tons of 2 credit places to make the deluxe plan worth it.

What I would personally suggest is doing the regular dining plan and then pay for a couple extra out of pocket meals as well- I usually choose the least expensive places at Disney to be the out of pocket ones (like Via Napoli, Sci-Fi, The Plaza, etc. - buffets and character meals are always more expensive so those should definitely be dining credits).

Hope this helps!

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thinking of Upgrading Dining Plan Plus to Deluxe??

If you want to spent the majority of your time eating then go for it, but for most people this is too much food. Stick with the regular DDP, even this would be overload for us.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
669 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thinking of Upgrading Dining Plan Plus to Deluxe??

Like other people have said, I think you will find it far too much food.

We got the Quick Service Plan free with our booking and paid the extra to upgrade to the regular Dining Plan. We have booked some 2 credit restaurants. When we run out of credits, we'll either pay cash or, more likely, have a Counter Service meal instead.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Thinking of Upgrading Dining Plan Plus to Deluxe??

We really appreciate all the feedback! We are going to stay with our dining plus plan, and pay out of pocket if needed. It sounds like the deluxe plan requires more eating than we would normally eat. Thanks again everyone!

pa
Level Contributor
54,829 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Thinking of Upgrading Dining Plan Plus to Deluxe??

Good Plan

Be sure to make some more ADRs

Have a look at all those yummy 1 credit options :)

wdwinfo.com/disney-dining-plan-restaurants.h…

Fort Worth
Level Contributor
11,594 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thinking of Upgrading Dining Plan Plus to Deluxe??

We always use the deluxe dining plan and love it. We only eat 2 meals a day, however we enjoy character dining, signature restaurants and room service. Having an appetizer included is a bonus, as we always order an appetizer, with our evening meal. We often skip the dessert or take it "to go".

Counter Service meals are not for us. The long queues, searching for a table while carting food trays, eating outside in the heat of the day, etc. is just not our cup of tea. We enjoy having a reservation, in a climate controlled environment, away from the rushing crowds. It's a wonderful time to relax and regroup, not to mention enjoying the many charming dining venues Disney offers.

We use our extra "snack credits" for gifts, to take back home. We have crunched the numbers a million times, and know we save money with the plan.