We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dim sum in Orlando?

Halifax Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
723 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Dim sum in Orlando?

Happy Chinese New Year!

Over breakfast we were lamenting the lack of dim sum here in our home town. (There's one good place, but you have to be determined to get a seat on Sunday morning, the only day they serve dim sum.)

So, I wonder, can we get dim sum while we're in Orlando? I know Orlando isn't exactly a hotbed of global cuisine, but maybe dim sum exists somewhere? We are staying at Emerald Island, but are happy to explore further afield.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dim sum in Orlando?

I can't even find a decent Chinese that serves ordinary Chinese food let alone Dim Sum, good luck with that!

"Gung hay fat choy"

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dim sum in Orlando?

Ming court has Great Dim sum.

In carts. old school ;-)

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dim sum in Orlando?

I hope their Dim Sum is better than there ordinary fare. Having said that we haven't been there for years so it may well have improved.

I've kinda given up looking for a good Chinese in America. Although I am gonna try one that carmela has recommended in Boston.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,083 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dim sum in Orlando?

USLovers, you need to go to a US city that has a large Chinese immigrant population - Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York. I'm sure some of those immigrants know how to make Chinese food. Unfortunately, Orlando is not a population magnet for Chinese immigration.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dim sum in Orlando?

galveston I have, all of the above actually. But thank you for the recommendations, I was referring to other places in America that do not have Chinatowns. We have eaten Chinese food in many many towns across your country but sadly apart from Chinatowns the quality is pretty poor compared to UK Chinese restaurants.

Halifax Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
723 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dim sum in Orlando?

Cart sounds good to me! Worth a look, thanks.

I agree, you need a large population that's not forced to cater to the mainstream (and Orlando has big profitable swaths of "mainstream"!), but occasioanlly you can find a gem. Hope springs eternal...

Edited: 10 February 2013, 17:09
London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dim sum in Orlando?

We had a great Chinese at Nine Dragons in China at Epcot, great food followed by amazing fireworks in the evening.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dim sum in Orlando?

Really, it must be me then I thought the food at Nine Dragons was mediocre at best.

Halifax Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
723 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dim sum in Orlando?

We aren't going into any Disney parks this time, not that I'd expect them to have dim sum.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dim sum in Orlando?

haven't eaten at the chinese in Epcot since they redid it, the italian either. So can't say abt quality.

what I can say, is that last time I was at Ming court on a WE (think it could have been sunday bt don't remember) the place was full of asian looking people having lunch en famille.

which is always the best sign in finding good oriental food in any western city I find.

Now, for diner a week on Friday, Hakkasan or Cocohan or Spice Market? I am still dithering on my london choice but know better than to ask there lol.