We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending our first night near Orlando Airport

Cumbria
Level Contributor
535 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Spending our first night near Orlando Airport

For various reasons we will be spending our first night in Orlando somewhere near the airport.

Can anybody recommend a good place to stay for a family of 2 adults & 2 children. We land in Orlando mid-afternoon and will not have our own transport on the first day but ideally don't want to be confined to a hotel for our first evening. Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance

Special Offer
Coca-Cola Orlando Eye, Madame...
14 reviews
from US$51.99*
US$87.87
Special Offer
The Coca-Cola Orlando Eye Admission
53 reviews
from US$25.99*
US$29.29
Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,991 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spending our first night near Orlando Airport

Get something on International Drive, preferably with an airport shuttle, or take a taxi.

Cumbria
Level Contributor
535 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spending our first night near Orlando Airport

How much would a taxi be to International Drive? We need to get a hire car the next day and was thinking we needed to collect it from the airport but I guess we could pick up a hire car easily enough on International Drive?

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
10,162 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spending our first night near Orlando Airport

Taxi fare about $45 one way.

There are places on IDrive where you can collect rental cars. My own experience of these is that on both occasions I used them, a car of the correct type was not ready for me at the booked time and I had to wait several hours whilst the headless chickens found one and fetched it - a process that only began when I turned up with my paperwork. So, not good, really. I can't say if that's typical or if it was to do with the type of vehicle (large SUV). If I wanted to be fairly sure of a prompt getaway in the right sort of car, I think on another occasion, I'd consider picking up at the airport.

The thing is - there are hotels very close to the airport with free shuttles - but there isn't a huge amount of other "stuff" in that immediate area. Whereas I-Drive does have plenty of eating, drinking and shopping to keep you busy. The question is - which is the priority?

If you aren't in a rush, you can save most of that cab fare by catching a bus for $2 each to I-Drive.

Or how about choosing one of the handful of airport hotels that are on/around the N./Frontage Rd just off SR436 north of the airport?

You could, having dropped your stuff, hop on a bus to the Florida Mall for your evening. (Bus 42, every 30 minutes, last one back from the mall towards the airport at midnight.)

**NB** All the above assumes Orlando International Airport (MCO). If you are coming in to Sanford (SFB) then that's a very different place, and story!

Edited: 11 February 2013, 12:48
Rugby
Level Contributor
191 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spending our first night near Orlando Airport

Is it not possible to pick a hire car up at the airport on the day you land?

Orlando
Level Contributor
10,791 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spending our first night near Orlando Airport

I would rent the car from the airport on your arrival day. Either get a seperate rental or extend your existing reservation. If you are going to stay in Orlando, I agree with I Drive. I also agree there isn't much near the airport although there are a number of hotels choices.

If you are staying an extra night due to a cruise, I would look in the Cocoa Beach area and also rent my car at the airport.

Cumbria
Level Contributor
535 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spending our first night near Orlando Airport

Unfortunately we can't book into our timeshare resort on International Drive until the day after we arrive. Also my husband is a nervous flyer and likes to have a few drinks on the plane (& the holiday is also for his 40th birthday so he will no doubt be sampling the champagne!) so he won't be able to drive on the day we arrive.

So combining these factors together I was thinking staying at the airport until the following day would be the easiest option. But perhaps finding a hotel on International Drive with airport shuttle may work and make it feel like we're not wasting our first night.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,597 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spending our first night near Orlando Airport

There's a nice Hyatt Hotel right in the airport terminal, but it will be pricier (probably over $200) than nearby hotels just off-site. But, it is convenient to just walk out of the secured gate area and into your hotel.

Adjacent to the airport's north entrance, along Semoran Blvd (SR 436), there's a cluster of about 15 hotels. Take a look at the Staybridge Suites, which we like. Also consider the Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, Holiday Inn, Wingate Inn, and Ramada Suites; we haven't tried any of those, but they are nearby. All of these should be in the $100-150 per night range and most or all offer free shuttle service to the airport. Some also offer a comp breakfast.

We have also stayed at the Renaissance, which was nice but not as good a value as the Staybridge. In the morning, just have someone go over to the airport and pick up the car.

There are a few restaurants in the area -- some at the airport, some in the hotels, and some along Semoran Blvd. You could also take the bus over to International Drive. As I recall, the Staybridge had a shuttle bus over to the Florida Mall, which is about six miles west along Sand Lake Road, and is the largest mall in the area.

Edited: 11 February 2013, 14:00
Connecticut
Level Contributor
10,036 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spending our first night near Orlando Airport

I know the Disney haters will shoot me but I would book a night at s Disney value at a discounted price. Free magical express to and from the airport and then once there you can either take bus to DTD or if you have tickets spark.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
17,471 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spending our first night near Orlando Airport

PhotoTravels has given you a nice synopsis of the hotel situation near the airport. Here is a complete list: http://www.mcohotels.com/ There are a variety of restaurants within easy walking distance including a Bonefish Grill on the west side of Semoran Blvd. http://goo.gl/maps/Mh7ZF

Here is a very extensive review of that hotel: flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-gold-passport/1334…

You could also probably get it for less on Priceline or Hotwire. www.betterbidding.com/index.php…

Illinois
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spending our first night near Orlando Airport

We've stayed at the Embassy Suites near the airport in Orlando. They'll pick you up and deliver you back to MCO if you want to use airport car rental the next day, plus there's a restaurant within the hotel. It was a nice place with two-room suites. Sorry, I don't remember what's nearby for entertainment, but you have the pool and atrium area to get out of the room

Edited: 11 February 2013, 14:40