We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK drivers now need an International Driving Permit

Seaham, United...
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
UK drivers now need an International Driving Permit

I haven't frequented this forum much of late so I don't know if this has been mentioned previously.

I have just had an 'extra' newletter from www.tripwheels.com and it goes into great detail regarding UK visitors now needing an International Driving Permit. It now appers that it is written in the Florida Statues. The newsletter is copyright but the information can be obtained from the tripwheels website (bottom righthand corner).

Regards,

Deaconblue

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UK drivers now need an International Driving Permit

Thanks - we go in April and didn't know this - we'll make sure to get one

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Treasure Island, Orlando
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UK drivers now need an International Driving Permit

another money maker. it will be like turkey soon, paying £10 each at the customs to get in, as if the holiday hasnt cost enough, i know its only £5.50 but come on, all them mount up to a nice earner ,renewed every year....

isle of wight
Level Contributor
8,841 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UK drivers now need an International Driving Permit

From the Dibb.

Quote "I've also read this on another forum apart from the one linked above. The advice there is that an international drivers permit is just an English translation of the information contained in a foreign driving license. It verifies that you hold a valid driving license in your home country but it is the foreign drivers license, not the translation which gives you the right to drive in the US. If stopped by the police, the driving license plus the translation would need to be produced.

As such, it seems that any new ruling would only apply to those holding a license which is not in English. end quote .

I I have also checked and if you have a UK licence your fine :)

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
761 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: UK drivers now need an International Driving Permit

Thanks very much for the info. I had no idea.

Not sure I can afford the £5.50!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Treasure Island, Orlando
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: UK drivers now need an International Driving Permit

i read the tripwheels blog, looks like its real

isle of wight
Level Contributor
8,841 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: UK drivers now need an International Driving Permit

You dont need it Tony

Cumbernauld, United...
Level Contributor
447 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: UK drivers now need an International Driving Permit

Quote from Tripwheels Blog...............

What will happen to British drivers who drive without an IDP?

Without an IDP, a driver is therefore driving without a valid license and if stopped, law enforcement has the option of

1/ arresting the driver and taking him/her to jail

2/ giving the driver a citation with a mandatory court appearance." ..............

Think I'd rather pay the £5.50 than a chance meeting with some grumpy policeman :-))

Seaham, United...
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: UK drivers now need an International Driving Permit

There are still folks who are quite happy to use their UK Blue Disabled Parking badge in Florida, instead of getting the correct Red Temporary Permit. It doesn't make it right.

I for one would not take a chance of ruining my holiday for the sake of £5.50. The website gives clear information from the Statute.

Regards,

Deaconblue

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: UK drivers now need an International Driving Permit

Taken from http://london.usembassy.gov/rctour.html

"Will my British driver's license be adequate for renting a car?

The U.S.A. has an agreement with most countries whereby the renter's full national driving license may be used for a period of up to one year in the U.S.A. This applies to the full U.K. driving license. Provisional licenses are not acceptable.

Most car rental companies require that you have held a full license for at least one year, regardless of age. The minimum age for renting a car is normally 21 although it can be as high as 25. Often an additional charge is levied on drivers who are under 25 years of age.

International Driving Permits are generally NOT required in the U.S.A but it is helpful to carry one. If they are taken, they are only valid in conjunction with a full national driving license. They should not be accepted on their own. It is recommended that drivers who possess a full national license that is in script other than Roman, i.e. Cyrillic or Arabic, should also obtain an International Driving Permit (IDP).

Young drivers may wish to obtain an International Driving Permit to use as a photo ID, in place of a passport, for entry into bars and nightclubs where the minimum age for entry is 21 years.

If you have endorsements on your license, do check with your rental company that these do not present a problem.

We suggest that you check the requirements of your prospective automobile rental company by contacting them direct."

isle of wight
Level Contributor
8,841 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: UK drivers now need an International Driving Permit

fco.gov.uk/en/…united-states.

This is todays advice .

Road travel

If you intend to drive then an International Driving Permit is recommended. If you are on a fly-drive holiday then a UK driving licence is required for each driver. If you have a photo card licence you should remember to also bring the green 'paper' counterpart licence with you. You should also ensure that your car rental insurance covers occupants of your vehicle and any third party claims, including personal injury..

Again I will state you do not need a IDL if your on holiday in Florida .