We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just wondering. . .

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Topic
Just wondering. . .

There are so many great things to see and do in Florida: Universal, Legoland, Sea World, beaches, St. Augustine, waterparks, LaNouba, the space center, airboat rides . . .

Many times I see people who have never been to Florida before ask what there is to do and many times I see people advising them to spend every waking moment of every day at Disney parks and no place other than Disney parks.

Example: Q. We're going to be in Florida for seven days, what should we do?

A. You will have enough time to see all the Disney parks in those seven days.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Disney World just as much as the next person, but why do some members of this forum act like there's absolutely nothing else to do in Florida besides Disney World? What is their rationale? If they are travel agents in disguise, shouldn't TA boot them off for self-promotion?

You owe it to the hard-working people in the rest of these great places to suggest additional options.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
SeaWorld Orlando
SeaWorld Orlando
29,478 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just wondering. . .

If the question is posted on this forum then answers will be about Disney as this is the Disneyworld forum.

You are welcome to post your ideas to anyone asking :)

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just wondering. . .

BTW I don't think anyone "owes" anyone anything, people are not paid to respond to questions on here, they do it because of their love of all things Disney.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
7,947 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just wondering. . .

As USL said. This is the WDW Forum. There are other forums to ask about the rest of the area.

england
Level Contributor
4,901 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just wondering. . .

Like Prospect and usl say...if someone asks on the disney forum what they should do do during 7days then reply will be disney.

However if someone asks on the orlando forum what they should do during a 7day trip...there is no way they would fit everything on your list in!

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Just wondering. . .

Sorry about the comment about anyone owing anyone anything. I do realize this is the Disney forum but some people do ask about Orlando in general. I also realize you can't do everything on my list in one trip, but I think not to mention other options when asked an open-ended question about activities in the area is insinuating that there's nothing else to do in FL but Disney.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Elk Grove Village...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just wondering. . .

To me, which forum the question is asked in is very important. If people want a broader answer, there is an Orlando forum for them to ask it in. If someone is asking a question in the Disney World Forum, unless they say something to the contrary in their post, I assume they want an answer related to Disney World. While I offer advice more often than I ask for it, I do occasionally ask questions. When I want an answer specifically related to Disney World, I ask it in the Disney World forum. When I want an answer more broadly related to the Orlando area, I ask it in the Orlando forum. It is not unreasonable to assume that other people are doing the same -- at least until they suggest otherwise themselves.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
manchester
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just wondering. . .

I also assume if a question is asked on this forum that the person is interested in all things Disney.

Especially as mentioning Disney whatever the question is frowned upon in the Orlando Forum by a few posters.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
pa
Level Contributor
54,829 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Just wondering. . .

"Frowned upon" is putting it mildly Diane lol

Ventnor City, New...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando
Level Contributor
4,463 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just wondering. . .

The first part of my answer is going to be the same as most of the above, that because this is specifically a Disney World forum my first thought will always be to give a Disney answer.

Between 2005 and 2012 I took my young family to the Orlando area four times. With the exception of going to and from the airport, we were never off of Disney property. I think the next time we go to the area will probably dip our toe in the Universal pool because my kids are now 13 and 10 and I think it will be worthwhile for them to go there, too.

But starting when my kids were 5 and 2.5, I honestly couldn't think of a better place to take them.

My wife and I both work full-time in demanding jobs, our schedules are very tight and very routinized, and we're always driving everywhere. One of the things I absolutely cherish about a week in the Disney cocoon is that I get to escape the real world for a week ...

... I don't have to have a car key in my pocket. I can effortlessly take Disney Transport wherever I need to go. There are very few places (other than an all-inclusive beach resort) where I can skip driving for a week.

... I don't have to carry a wallet or even think about money. I can charge everything to my room charge.

... I don't have to arrange and pay for airport transfers, Disney takes care of that for me (they even take care of my luggage, too! Skipping baggage claim makes me feel like a VIP compared with every other place I travel).

I know this may sound like such nothing, like it's such silliness, but for me the feel of being carefree is a huge part of my vacation experience. I can't vacation anywhere else and get that feel (except, as I said, an all-inclusive resort that is obviously going to be tiny and limiting compared with the 47 square miles of WDW).

Another reason I've limited myself to Disney is the sheer size of it. I have 27 hotels to choose from. I've gone 6 times as an adult (two times were before I had kids) and I've stayed in 5 different resort hotels. So it's different every time for me, and I like variety. Beyond variety, I want the time to see and experience everything. There are 4 theme parks, two water parks and a huge outdoor mall. I don't want to miss out on anything. If I go off to Universal or SeaWorld for a day or two or three, that means I have to miss something Disney. I don't want to skip Disney's Animal Kingdom, for example, because if I don't ride Expedition Everest or Dinosaur I'll feel like I cheated myself. Same thing if I have to skip Disney's Hollywood Studios and miss Rock 'n' Roller Coaster and Twilight Zone Tower of Terror. Same thing if I have to skip Epcot and miss Soarin' and Test Track and Mission:Space. And I'm not skipping Magic Kingdom no matter what.

The other reason I may recommend doing only Disney is cost. Disney has evil geniuses working for them. Whoever thought of making the 5th through 10th days of theme park tickets only $10 each is an evil genius. If I'm in Orlando for 5 days and I know I want to do Disney theme parks for 4 days, here are my choices for my family of 4: I can send $40 for another day in Disney parks, or I can spend $400 to go to Universal or SeaWorld for one day. It's SOOOO tempting to save hundreds of dollars and just go back to another Disney park.

As for beaches, I live at the beach in New Jersey (and I've got the FEMA registration number that goes along with it) so I personally don't feel the need to take a day out to hit the beach.

So those are pretty much the reasons I've been a Disney-only Dad.

I can't see how a travel agent would make more money steering someone to one place or another, as long as that person is traveling away from home. If I'm a TA and I earn a commission on Disney park tickets, I imagine I'd also earn a commission on Universal tickets, or on the car rental that person would need to drive to the beach or the space center, and so on. So I don't think suspicion about people being travel agents would even make sense.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
SeaWorld Orlando
SeaWorld Orlando
29,478 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Disney's Animal Kingdom
Disney's Animal Kingdom
28,953 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Dinosaur
Dinosaur
157 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Disney's Hollywood Studios
Disney's Hollywood...
24,887 Reviews
Orlando, FL
The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
The Twilight Zone Tower...
404 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Soarin'
Soarin'
549 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Magic Kingdom Park
Magic Kingdom Park
59,568 Reviews
Orlando, FL
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Just wondering. . .

cleverocks busch gardens is also a really good park for teens(8 roller coaters(most of any park in fl),3 water rides and plenty of other things to do.also seaworld has two really great rollercoaters(manta(only flying coaster in fl)kraken and atlantis(water ride with a 60 foot drop) among many other things.both are great parks for all ages and are more fun than uni. is.