We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

uk drivers

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
uk drivers

hi

Do we need a drivers permit to drive in Orlando?

thanks

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,754 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: uk drivers

In the search box above, type in IDP. There have been absolutely loads of discussions about this in the last week or so. If you find an answer in the 100's of posts let me know! lol

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: uk drivers

As I said on another post, police locally will not ticket if you do not have an IDP. The law is likely to be repealed soon. However, your insurance could easily be null and void because you are driving against the law. Get the permit!

Livingston...
Level Contributor
501 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: uk drivers

Ask your car hire company :) they will be able to advise you best around the time you are leaving. If its something you require it should be written in your confirmation somewhere to say bring it.

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
9,870 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: uk drivers

May I ask you the question the other way up?

What harm will you incur if you obtain one? The cost (which is utterly trivial) is all that comes to mind.

There is obviously some doubt and confusion over this; technically it is law (as I understand it) and so there is some risk, however slight it may be, that it will come to matter in one way or another. Given the really trivial cost of these, I can't understand why anyone would take that risk at all. It seems utterly pointless debating or worrying about it.

Just do it and be totally sure. Having one and never needing it won't cause any grief, whereas NOT having one and then the small risk you needed one actually materialises will. It's a no-brainer.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: uk drivers

thanks all, not travelling till end of year so hopefully be repealed.

booked through virgin holidays in 08 and it was never mentioned then nor asked for at the desk in orlando.

still keeps us all on our toes

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: uk drivers

err, yes thanks Scan for that.

If i need one i have no objections getting one. I have no intentions of being petty crook over it.

If I dont need one, I wont.

Livingston...
Level Contributor
501 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: uk drivers

Have you booked through virgin again? I have them liked on Facebook and they released a statement on there advising that right now its not required. It might be helpful to follow them on there or twitter if you use it. Their social media team seems to be very helpful!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: uk drivers

hi Michaela,

Not booked yet as its difficult to plan that far ahead with my work, but thanks for the heads up. we like virgin for these type of trips too, so will be pretty much our no.1 choice

thanks

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,525 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: uk drivers

Yes, you need your driver's license -- both parts. It will be required by the rental car company before you can take possession of your vehicle, and must be available for display in case of an accident or traffic stop by police.

The recent controversy in Florida was regarding a new law that required an "international driver's permit" for any driver from outside the US. That's a document defined by international agreement, containing standardized translations of the terms of your license. That makes a foreign license readable by domestic officials.

The Florida lawmakers didn't consider two things. First, foreign licenses written in English do not require translation, and it was an unnecessary burden on visitors from English-speaking countries. Second, Florida law cannot contravene federal law or federal treaties with other countries. The 1949 Geneva convention requires subscribing nations to honor certain qualifying driving credentials, and Florida cannot interfere with any explicit agreements between nations. There is a separate agreement among North American nations, including Canada.

Most English-speaking visitors recognized the redundancy of the law, but didn't want to take the risk of non-compliance. There was also fear that CDW would be invalidated without perfect credentials, but that would be unlikely if the rental car company had already accepted the license alone.

Florida has reportedly announced that enforcement of the law has been suspended and the original sponsor of the law has said it needs to be modified.

Edit note: I started writing this before previous comments, and was interrupted by phone calls, and now note those other comments.

Edited: 25 February 2013, 14:22
Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: uk drivers

Virgin have said they are not required BUT it is still a law in the state of Florida, it has been suspended in the sense that no one will be prosecuted by law enforcement officers etc.

It is still unclear, in the unfortunate need of making an insurance claim, how easily the insurance companies will use this suspension, as a loop hole to get out of paying up.

Nothing will be known for sure until after 1st March and the earliest anything can be done about changing that law is 1st June, so anyone travelling in the mean time would be best getting an IDP, just to be on the safe side. Anyone travelling early June that would have to travel a long distance to purchase one or wait for postal service, would also be best to get one soon.

So as Scan says; "What harm will you incur if you obtain one?"

Edit, ditto PhotoTravels edit, lol.

Edited: 25 February 2013, 14:35