We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My First Trip Report in Ages - Part VIII - Finale

Pleasant View...
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
My First Trip Report in Ages – Part VIII – Finale

There is a magic in the eyes of a child when she sees Cinderella’s castle for the first time. In that magic lie amazement, longing, joy, and the dreams of a once upon a time that has come true.

I saw that magic in Sophie’s eyes, in Olivia’s eyes, and it filled my heart with such delight as cannot be conveyed.

We’re home now, and have set aside boxes with park maps, Key to the World cards, Mickey soaps and shampoos, our celebration badges, and even a few Disney shopping bags, carefully folded and stretched to press the wrinkles out. We’re sorting through 1000+ photos, preparing to make memory books, but the sorting is slowed by the memories each photo brings.

The vast majority of the pictures show happy, smiling faces, and we delight as we remember where we were, what we were doing. There’s the one in Mexico, at Epcot, with the girls in those ridiculously oversized sombreros; this one was taken at Downtown Disney. There’s the one where Stitch licked Sophie’s autograph book, and another where Olivia danced with Buzz Lightyear. About half the photos show the girls in crystal blue water, for they spent a part of every day swimming.

Some of the photos remind us of what we didn’t do, of what went wrong, but we can laugh about those times now. So we missed Soarin’ – we’ll see it next time. So we never made it to Adventureland - it’ll be that much more adventurous when we do make it. We had no time for the Animal Kingdom or Hollywood Studios, and certainly never ventured off Disney property for Universal or Seaworld. Next time.

There are photos of Port Orleans, of our rooms, the lobby, the expansive grounds, and we laugh when we recall how I forever lagged far behind, and how one of the girls would always be with me, slowly matching my cane-assisted pace. We marvel that after the second day, the girls knew their way around the resort as well as I.

There’s the photo of Amanda, head covered, shivering, zipped up in her warmest clothes despite the 87° temperature on the day we flew back. We can laugh now at the irony of her contracting the flu, when she had worried so about keeping her daughters healthy for this trip.

We have Amanda’s lovely photos of snow white clouds, viewed from above, and we remember with a chuckle how fearful she and Olivia had been of flying.

We can laugh at the fact that I was constantly reminding the girls to keep their Key to the World cards safe, yet I was the one to lose my 10-day park hopper.

We see a photo of Fred, walking far ahead, and we shake our heads and remember how he earned the title of Mr. Grumpy Gills; now we feel a twinge of guilt, for a few days after we returned, Fred suffered a very mild stroke, which may or may not have been coming on during our trip, contributing to his foul mood. Not to worry, he’s in good hands. And he has even made an apology, offering a trip for the sole purpose of dining at Be Our Guest.

I would have liked to have met up with a few friends. An old friend was visiting at the same time, as were a couple of new friends. But a very short trip leaves little room for visiting – another promise for another time.

There is no photo of Sophie when she whispered into my ear that Mickey Mouse had given her a wake-up call, but there are those that show her smiling face with her most prized souvenir – an Animator’s Collection Rapunzel doll. And others of Olivia happily sporting her sparkling Minnie Mouse ears. There are photos of the girls squinting in the bright sun, wearing capris and shorts and sleeveless tees, reminding us of the absolutely perfect weather we enjoyed.

So many photos, so many memories.

These photos will be cherished for many years to come; they will be shown to friends and relatives and coworkers. A few will be framed and placed on table tops, bringing a smile each time they’re dusted, a smile that will spark a memory…

…of the magic.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
106 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My First Trip Report in Ages – Part VIII – Finale

Loved ur reports sorry to hear about Fred I wish him a speedy recovery

Brighouse, United...
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My First Trip Report in Ages – Part VIII – Finale

What absolutely fantastic trip reports you have shared with us ethelmeae. I hope Fred is on his way to a full recovery and isn't in hospital for too long.

I have loved reading all your reports, but I really like the bit in this one that says "next time" :-) Happy planning. x

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My First Trip Report in Ages – Part VIII – Finale

Ethel, you have brightened my morning, another beautiful tr. So sorry to hear about Fred, wishing him a speedy recovery.

Already looking forward to your tr's for ' next time'. x

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: My First Trip Report in Ages – Part VIII – Finale

Can't tell you how much I enjoyed reading your reports. You really have to go back soon so you can start them all over again.

Wishing Fred a speedy recovery x.

Basingstoke
Level Contributor
427 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My First Trip Report in Ages – Part VIII – Finale

Ethelmae - if you are not a writer getting books published then you have missed your calling - these are without a doubt the best TR's I have ever read - BAR NONE!

Thanks for sharing with us you great holiday and your memories and I hope Fred gets better very soon.

All the best, Leigh

South Lanarkshire...
Level Contributor
42 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My First Trip Report in Ages – Part VIII – Finale

Loved all your reports but I feel sad knowing there are no more to come. Hope Fred gets well soon and you get to plan your next trip and share the process with us.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My First Trip Report in Ages – Part VIII – Finale

Hurry up and plan the next one, I want more TR's ....

Hugs to Fred xx

Denmark
Level Contributor
12,304 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My First Trip Report in Ages – Part VIII – Finale

Thank You for sharing Your lovely tripreports Ethelma I love them and is still waiting for my second book from You ;-) and poor, poor Fred I hope he gets better fast and hope that our roads meets up in the fall :-)

Brazil
Destination Expert
for Sao Paulo
Level Contributor
7,941 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My First Trip Report in Ages – Part VIII – Finale

Just lovely!!!

Sending all my best wishes to Fred! ...and you! ;-)

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
7,932 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My First Trip Report in Ages – Part VIII – Finale

Another great report. Hope Fred recovers soon to continue telling his new (?) jokes.