We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early start with kids each day?

New York, New York
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Early start with kids each day?

I'm trying to decide if its realistic to have scheduled breakfasts before the parks open each day. Currently, I have reservations for breakfast at Akershus at Epcot at 8:10 and the following day at Tusker House in AK at 8:15. I have a 2 and 4 year old who are up by 6:30 each day regularly but I'm worried that this may be too ambitious and I might be better off keeping them up late. But, it might be nice to have an early start in the parks before they open. Staying at Wilderness Lodge...

pa
Level Contributor
54,412 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Early start with kids each day?

I wouldn't plan two in a row

If I had to pick, it would be the Storybook Princes breakfast at Epcot, it is delightful, the food and all the Princesses. It is quite a treat to enter the World Showcase before it is open to the public, so beautiful and peaceful :)

england
Level Contributor
4,901 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early start with kids each day?

I haven't done two mornings in a row for breakfasts before but it isn't impossible....I wouldn't try it everyday though. Yes its nice to get into the parks early but not a huge advantage.

We are all early risers so tend to get up and get in the parks early then leave for a rest then come back a bit later on . I wouldn't want breakfast every morning though

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early start with kids each day?

We've had fantastic luck with taking the advice from posters here and getting an early start every day. Walking into the parks early is just a wonderful experience. We like to get everything ready the night before so that our morning prep is only 20-30 minutes. If you are going in the summer, the early morning is cooler and great for picture taking.

I think it all depends on your kids and you. Even with a midday nap/swim, we've never been able to keep our kids up late. Even as they have gotten older, they are just wired for excitement and getting up early and want to get to bed by 10. Seriously.

Me: Let's go to the Magic Kingdom tonight! They're open til 2 am!

Children: Please no. Can we go to sleep now?

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
18,605 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Early start with kids each day?

The days you don't have a reservation for breakfast consider bringing breakfast stuff from home, that's we do now wherever we go. Much less stress then getting everyone down to eat and then people want to go back up to the room (brush teeth, etc.), saves so much time in the morning. When we leave the room we are ready to go (we sometimes have 8-10 people so these works well for us).

Level Contributor
1,081 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Early start with kids each day?

If it were me I'd do it. I know that many people say that their children can stay up late at WDW but for us with our nieces we had more success with early starts and they were happily up and out before 8am nearly every day for 2 weeks. We will plan the same for our 5 and 3 yr old sons this year. 2 days in a row should be fine.

Barbados
Level Contributor
1,336 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Early start with kids each day?

We have done Crystal Palace before park opening and also Tusker House. Both were great experiences! We got to each one well before our ADR, because people are often late and you might get seated early because of this! In MK we were able to take all our castle photos while 1 person went to check us in - no crowds, we could take any angles and the light was wonderful! We asked for the bill early in our meal so we didn't have to wait for it at the end. We were waiting at the Tomorrowland ropes when they dropped. At AK we did the same, and were the first at the rope just in front of the safari - we were also in the very first safari group to ride! I highly recommend it.

Elk Grove Village...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Early start with kids each day?

It really depends on your kids. For us, it wouldn't be practical to do back-to-back breakfasts that early. But then my kids typically get up between 7:30-8:00 a.m. Central time. The time change works against us doing early breakfasts very often, and we prefer not to reset our kids' body clocks. So we are much more likely to keep our kids out late than to get them up early. But that's what works for us. If your kids are used to getting up early, then it may work well for you to have have several early breakfasts.

Ventnor City, New...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando
Level Contributor
4,358 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Early start with kids each day?

Follow the kids' routines, as well as their moods. If they're early risers but not nite owls, then go with that.

My advice (but this is just a guess about how YOUR kids would do with this): Eat breakfast in your room (we usually get a grocery delivery to help with this) ... it's a more leisurely way to get the day started early but allows more lounging around time (which my kids required) rather than having to get dressed to go out to breakfast. This way, you can leave the room in time for rope drop without having to leave mega-early for a pre-rope drop breakfast.

Plan a character meal for lunch (if all the break they need is sitting for a meal), or if they need more midday rest, go back to your resort midday and let them nap and maybe also catch a swim (seems like an odd combo, I know, but it worked wonders for our kids) and then catch a character dinner instead of more park time.

In my experience, if your kids are early risers, getting them to a park first thing in the morning not only catches them at their emotional best but also gives you the advantage of the shortest lines and lowest crowds of the day.

Edited: 24 March 2013, 22:22
9. Re: Early start with kids each day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2014, 04:17