We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Beach or Naples??

Birmingham
Level Contributor
420 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
South Beach or Naples??

We are looking to head to the coast for a couple of days for some R&R but cant decide on location.

We are two mid fourties, our daughter 19 and her boyfriend 22. We want to chill at pool, beach. People watch with a glass of wine in the evening and some lovely food perhaps fresh fish and soak up the local ambience

I really cant decide which location to go for> We were origionally set on South Beach but now I am thinking it may be like an American Blackpool??

Thanks for any help

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,665 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South Beach or Naples??

wow, talk about polar opposites! I have been to both, and if you want to relax, go to Naples. I was not impressed with the "local ambience" in South Beach. Naples is peaceful and beautiful

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,398 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South Beach or Naples??

I think Blackpool is perhaps more like an English Daytona Beach.

Miami Beach has become an international attraction for the wealthy, with astonishingly expensive condominiums going up at the very south end, and works by star architects popping up (Gehry's home for the New World Symphony and a parking deck by Herzog and De Meuron, for example). One of the big events of the year is Art Basel, a big art sale.

Naples is stuffed with wealthy retirees, has an excellent orchestra, and has loads of golf courses.

Edited: 23 March 2013, 15:48
Level Contributor
1,076 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South Beach or Naples??

Naples is gorgeous. DS and I spent a week there. Great shopping, gorgeous food, lots of boats and great for visiting Everglades etc if yiu are willing to drive a bit. I really enjoyed the zoo there and did some fab kayaking if you're feeling adventurous.

Sunrise, Florida
Level Contributor
807 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South Beach or Naples??

Marco Island is just South of Naples and has THE best beach possibly in the WORLD! It is like talcum powder. The Marriot is the best choice there, You can rent these tiki huts on the beach,,,,the best.

http://www.marcoislandmarriott.com/

Edited: 23 March 2013, 16:20
Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
17,892 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: South Beach or Naples??

I didn't care for the dark green water at Naples. We stayed at the marco marriott (water is a lighter green there), but there's nothing really going on at night, it's pretty quiet. I would try South Beach or somewhere on the east coast, waves are more fun (in my opinion). What time of year are you going?

Birmingham
Level Contributor
420 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: South Beach or Naples??

Hi, Thank you for all the replies. We are going on 30th April and are planning heading to a beach around 10th May for 2 or 3 nights.

Decisions, decisions. i really can't make my mind up!!

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
17,892 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: South Beach or Naples??

I'll throw fort lauderdale into the mix, my neighbor went twice and loved it :)

Blackwood, United...
Level Contributor
4,901 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: South Beach or Naples??

Naples , without a doubt. Beautiful place. Roll on November till I'm back there :-)

Winter Garden...
Level Contributor
1 post
159 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: South Beach or Naples??

Two extremely different areas. Naples, as you know is on the Gulf. Many people consider the Gulf to be warmer, and calmer than the Atlantic (east) side. They'd be right. Many people also consider it less clean. Probably right.

Naples is an ok place. Nice enough, but tends toward the calmer (ummmm boring maybe?) side? I used to live on the West Coast of Florida, just north of Naples, so you'll allow me my opinion, eh?

Now, SoBe on the other hand is action! Fun, and loads of HIGH end shops. Great places to dine for all price points. The beaches are great, and so are the hotels. We really liked staying on Ocean Drive (but there are better places to dine than Ocean Drive).

The drive to the Keys is do-able from SoBe too. Miami itself is a fabulous city. For me? No contest. SoBe all the way.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: South Beach or Naples??

Another recommendation for South Beach :) We loved our meals at Spiga & Grillfish.