We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restricted use road?

Kirkcaldy, United...
Level Contributor
652 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Restricted use road?

So I've been looking on Google maps to get an idea of distance from the villa to the parks and all that (we will have a sat Nav but I'm a bit of a geek and a huge planner). Anyway on some of the roads it says that the roads are restricted.

In what way are they restricted? I think I saw it on Epcot and Kennedy

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
2,511 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restricted use road?

Hi Leeanne.

Just been on Google maps can't see any restricted roads anywhere.

But like you google Earth /Maps is very usefull.

ajg

Ocala, Florida
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Restricted use road?

they may be cast member only roads at epcot.

Kirkcaldy, United...
Level Contributor
652 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restricted use road?

I put in for directions and put from sandy ridge drive in davenport to Kennedy space centre. There is a long road that you are on for over 36 miles which says its a toll road and in red it says restricted and/or private road.

I wondered if at some point on the road it was maybe manned by security or that.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
18,418 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restricted use road?

You know you won't need google maps from sandy ridge to parks get onto I4 or the 192 and the parks are signposted every mile or so you really cannot miss them

Sometimes you can drive yourself mad with over planning

Va
Level Contributor
11,418 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restricted use road?

private road = toll road. The mapping programs avoid those unless you allow it. It is a legal issue because people have sued them because they were routed that way only to find that there was a toll.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
18,418 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restricted use road?

Leeanne if you have GPS you don't need google maps

When you programme in your destination on GPS if there are toll roads you will get the option to avoid them if you wish

The parks are programmed in under POI (points of interest)

Kirkcaldy, United...
Level Contributor
652 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restricted use road?

I know I overplan and look into things far too much. I've got a USA sat nav and all that and I don't think I am bothered if I have to pay a toll or not - as long as I get to where I'm going in the quickest or easiest way and all that. This may be a wrong statement since I've never been to Orlando let alone drove there.

You will not know the worry and stress this is causing me. I'm not going to say I'm a nervous driver as I'm kinda not but I can be nervous on roads that I've not been on and when cars ate tailgating me. I get tailed a lot in the UK as my tiny little car takes an age to get up to a good enough speed so people are constantly harnessing me.

I've never ever driven abroad and although I am happy when I'm on motorways in Scotland - the roads that I am usually on and people say the i4 is just like a motorway I'm still worried. Perhaps when I come back I can report back that I had a blast and that there was no worries but until I've got there and had the experience of the "wrong side of the road" then I'm trying to research what I can.

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
4,205 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restricted use road?

My guess is that the restricted roads are inside some sort of closed area, like the road that runs around the back of the World Showcase at EPCOT so employees can get to work. You have to go through a gate to get there. The same goes for KSC. The GPS probably considers anything inside the inner security perimeter to be restricted.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
2,511 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restricted use road?

Leeanne.

Don't be worried about driving in Florida, it's so easy and layed back.

Steering wheel on rwong side

Drive on wrong side of road

No gears to play with

You can turn right on a red light, unless there is a sign saying NO TURN ON RED.

The hardest bit to get used to is turning LEFT on a multi lane junction, apart from that it's realy easy

Have a look at the links below to give you some idea.

Driving the Length of I-Drive

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WG8vkGSCuQ

www.tripwheels.com/

Driving to Contepery

www.youtube.com/watch…

uscarhire.com/florida-trips/driving_tips.aspx

myflorida.org.uk/htm_pages/my_florida_useful…

www.kissimmee-us192.com/british/driving.htm

…about.com/od/…fla_driving.htm

floridarentavilla.co.uk/infopages/florida_ca…

ajg

Edited: 01 April 2013, 22:20
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restricted use road?

At EPCOT, there are back roads not open to the general public -- they are service roads to the back of many of the attractions. Some are just signposted, others are protected by gates or guards.

At Kennedy and Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, there are many restricted roads as much of the site is an operational, secured area (some top secret military satellites are assembled and launched from there). Watch for signs and guard booths. The two ways for the public to get to the Visitor Complex are over the NASA Causeway from Titusville, and up highway SR3 from the Cocoa Beach / Merritt Island area.