We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Average Process Time at Orlando Airport

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bawtry, United...
Level Contributor
386 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Average Process Time at Orlando Airport

HI

Having always traveled into the States through Miami and spent 2 hours plus going through immigration we are flying into Orlando next week an wondered how long on average it will take to get through Immigration and the Car Hire System at Orlando Airport

Thanks in advance

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,683 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Average Process Time at Orlando Airport

"... and the Car Hire System at Orlando Airport"

If you join the loyalty program of the company you are using, you could easily save 30 minutes, maybe more, if late afternoon lines are long.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,667 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Average Process Time at Orlando Airport

We arrive from London into MCO, stay over in the airport hotel, then get the hire car early the next morning when there are no queues. Means we can enjoy a drink on the flight (part of the holiday) and chill out totally on our first night.

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
9,870 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Average Process Time at Orlando Airport

Highly variable. I have been in a taxi 20 minutes after aircraft doors open, and I have, with a similar arrival time, been in line for 40 minutes at immigration. I have spoken to others who arrived on an earlier flight who were still in the queue and had been there for around an hour. It all depends on just how your arrival co-incides with other international arrivals.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,754 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Average Process Time at Orlando Airport

It's a bit like " how long is a piece of string?" lol

We have taken nearly 2 hours to get through immigration alone at MCO, however last November we were sitting in our car hire within 40 minutes of landing. It really depends what flights have arrived before yours. Vic is right about the car hire, if you join the rental company's loyalty program you can skip the rental desks and go straight to the garage. We always book with Avis and go straight to the garage into the car and off we go.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,683 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Average Process Time at Orlando Airport

Clubworldfan makes a good point. Spending the first night in a hotel near (or in) the airport enables you to shake off some of the jet lag.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,667 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Average Process Time at Orlando Airport

And it is an integral part of the holiday, the Hyatt in the airport collect the luggage while the wife checks in the hotel, shower, change into something more comfortable, head to the pool for sundowner cocktails. Up at 6am for leisurely breakfast, then off to the car hire place. No rushing about and the airport is so quiet. No need to check out until lunchtime, so we can either take luggage early onto the next hotel, or chill around the pool area or downtown Disney. We don't go for the traditional 14 days, so these stays either side of the 'main holiday' are a nice relaxing bonus

Bawtry, United...
Level Contributor
386 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Average Process Time at Orlando Airport

Thanks all for the advice unfortunately our first night is booked and paid for so we will head straight for our hotel on this occasion but good to know for future ( we are coming out at Christmas again). I guess the wait is as long as it is but compared to last year and a 3 hour wait in Miami it sound like we have made the right choice flying into Orlando

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,667 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Average Process Time at Orlando Airport

You could try Tampa next time, BA is the only international arrival at that time, a breeze to get through

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,525 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Average Process Time at Orlando Airport

Also depends on whether you are dealing with an on-site or off-site rental car company. Most of the majors are on-site, which doesn't require a shuttle. Just walk across the drive to the garage, without even stopping at the terminal counter if you have a loyalty card.

Customs delays are variable, but there is some potential for longer waits if the Obama administration elects to direct budget cuts to the customs staff. In my experience, MIA is typically a longer wait than MCO, but I am usually coming in from South America or the the Caribbean, not Europe.

Seahouses, United...
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Average Process Time at Orlando Airport

I dont call getting up at 6am a leisurely start. lol I cannot see the point of staying at the airport hotel unless your accomodation is a long way away as you can be in the tourist area in about 30mins. Also I believe it is not cheap. We may be lucky but have never had jet lag arriving in the USA in some 50 plus trips and we always sleep until about 9am on the first day.

As to time taken to get through..we have been lucky as the last twice in Jan when we have arrived we have been in the car within 45mins of arriving. no problems.