We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time in Orlando Advice - Highlands Reserve

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
319 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
First Time in Orlando Advice - Highlands Reserve

Hi Guys!

I am going to Florida for the first time in August. We are staying at Highlands Reserve Villas and have already booked a rental car and all in one park 14 day park tickets. There are 4 adults in total aged 24 - 27.

I am abit concerned after reading reviews about the Villas at Highlands Reserve (mainly Virgin customers) about the villa been run down, dirty etc etc. Has anyone had any experience of staying here?

Is there a supermarket close by that will stock things like gluten free products, rice milk, rice cakes or should I take my own? (I do when travelling to Spain!)

Are there any easy to read guides that people recommend for the first time trip? Don't want information overload!

If anyone has any advice for a nervous first timer please do share!!

Many Thanks,

Steph.

west yorkshire
Level Contributor
781 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time in Orlando Advice - Highlands Reserve

Hi i stayed at highlands 2 years ago , booked villa private the villa i had was fine , didnt have many problems just small ones , theres a big supermarket think its publix near the entrance and a gas station also acouple of other shops . Im sure you will be fine

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time in Orlando Advice - Highlands Reserve

Highlands Reserve are very nice villas. Publix is close by but don't know about gluten free products. A lot of people buy the Brits Guide to Orlando and Disney World, it is one of the best guides if you are a Brit!

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time in Orlando Advice - Highlands Reserve

Highlands Reserve is fantastic we will be there Aug 28th till sept 11th and are staying in the same villa as we stayed 2 yrs ago. villas are based around a fantastic golf course, you can walk to publix if you want and next to publix is an applebees where you get 2 drinks for 1 all day every day. What dates are you going. Also on highway27, about 2miles toward the Interstate 4 , you will find Beef O Bradys where the buffalo wings are to die for. anyway, dont worry it is a very nice area from my experience over the past 20yrs.

UK
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time in Orlando Advice - Highlands Reserve

Pretty sure it was Highlands Reserve we stayed in last year, though it was rented privately and not with Virgin. No problems with the villa (one or two problems with the water being shut off at one point though, but this was sorted quickly). As others have said, there's a Publix nearby and plenty of other shops. I think there's a big Wal-Mart about 10 minutes drive, if not less, to the north.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,954 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time in Orlando Advice - Highlands Reserve

The problem with AOA villas thru a tour operator is heavy usage and new things like carpets and furniture can look old and tired after a relatively short period of being used hard. The better way to rent one, is to rent one privately as these tend to be better looked after.

Also, would not be my choice of area for a first visit as it is pretty far west, so you can't go in/out of parks easily multiple times on the same day.

Having said that, you are plenty close enough for visiting once per day and is a nice devlopement. And there is the publix nearby, as well as an Applebee's and 2 take out places (chinese and pizza).

London, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time in Orlando Advice - Highlands Reserve

It's only 20 mins from Disney in good traffic... you could go in and out more than once a day if you wanted to.

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
319 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Time in Orlando Advice - Highlands Reserve

Thanks for the replies!

Going to purcahse the guide now.

Oh you've got me all excited now Floridadict! You arrive the day we fly back to the UK!

We were advised not to do AOA and pick the area we wanted to be in instead. We did lots of research and this did seem to be one of the better areas to be in... it was only afterwards I found the website with the bad reviews but they were all Virgin customers and we are going with Thomas Cook so hopefully they will be better fingers crossed! We were told it was good location only 20-25 minutes from Disney and an hour to Busch Gardens?

Going to have to do some more research into gluten free products especially the rice milk.

Thanks for all the help :)

Leamington Spa...
Level Contributor
189 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Time in Orlando Advice - Highlands Reserve

Hi

We have stayed at Highlands Reserve on 2 occasions, (2 different villas), booked privately. We were very happy with the villas, and the location was fine. In fact, as it is a Golf course community, everywhere is spotlessly clean and tidy. There are plenty of shops nearby, and it is about a 20 minute drive to WDW. You can either drive to the theme parks via the 192, or go via Championsgate (where there are

more shops and restaurants. Publix supermarket is right next door to Highlands Reserve estate, and there is another Publix near to Championsgate, and also on the 192. My daughter has an intolerance to dairy products, so she did buy rice milk from Publix, so you should be okay.

Hope you have a wonderful time, my family and I are going to Florida 3rd to 24th August, we are counting the days!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: First Time in Orlando Advice - Highlands Reserve

I am staying on the Highlands reserve in a Thomas Cook Style villa in June... Will let you know how I find it :)

Leamington Spa...
Level Contributor
189 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Time in Orlando Advice - Highlands Reserve

I am sure it will be absolutely fine - a lot of these villas have views over the golf course, very relaxing after a day at the theme parks.

Enjoy!!