We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do these calculations make sense

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Johannesburg
Level Contributor
430 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Do these calculations make sense

I'm deciding whether to keep our rental cars that we bring to Orlando from Fort Lauderdale for our 6 day stay but the calculation show that this may not be wise.

If I use the 2 Rental vehicles (minivan and passenger shuttle) for 1 day from FLL to OL:

Minivan- $116

Van-$148

Gas- $120

tolls

Approx cost: $400

for 5 more days lncluding parking and $180 more for gas and more rental days cost about $1420 ($1000 difference)

If I return the cars the first day and use taxis as follows:

Holiday Inn Downtown Disney- Mall: return $30

Day 2 hotel- Universal: $50 return

hotel- millenium mall: $70

Hotel- IOA- $60

Hotel- wet wild: $50

Hotel- MK- Free transport

hotel- Airport: $46

total taxi fare for 4 cabs approx: 310 x4= $1240

So about $240 more without the hassle of driving and the convenience of the 4 families going at different times.

Makes sense?

edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,711 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do these calculations make sense

I think you answer your on question with

" without the hassle of driving and the convenience of the 4 families going at different times "

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
430 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do these calculations make sense

That's only IF my calculations are correct. If th edifferences in price are way out then the inconvenience may be worth it

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do these calculations make sense

I think you may be light on some of the fares. You can use this calculator . Popular trips are already calculated at the bottom of the page - www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Orlando

A car would also give flexibility for eating out too.

Edited: 16 April 2013, 13:45
Johannesburg
Level Contributor
430 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do these calculations make sense

yeah thanks I see that. But I figure I'll make up for it if we use the buses/trams. Even if it's $300 more it will still be more convenient. My issue was if my calculations were out by $400-500

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do these calculations make sense

For the trip to Orlando premium outlets at Vineland Avenue you could organise the complimentary shuttle for those who want to go shopping- …premiumoutlets.com/Outlet/Orlando/directions

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do these calculations make sense

I don't think it's that far out. If you are happy to pay a few hundred extra then go for it. If your hotel is not pre-paid you could look at moving nearer Universal as looks like you will be speeding more time up around there.

You can always rent a car/van for some of the group when you get there if you change your mind

Edited: 16 April 2013, 14:05
Johannesburg
Level Contributor
430 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do these calculations make sense

I was thinking of that but DTD just seemed easier for my folks to gewt around with the buses etc. They won't be joining us to the parks.

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
9,953 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do these calculations make sense

You might save even more. If some of your "groups" can agree to merge taxi rides, and you then orgainise a taxi van (rather than car) you'd get more people in for the same cost. So, fewer hires, which brings it down further. Add to that - some trips by service bus (fare $2), even if only in one direction, might increase the gap yet further.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do these calculations make sense

Ok, that makes sense. They can go to DTD or arrange a shuttle to take them to the outlets or just hang out at the hotel when you are at the parks. Depending on how many there are of you, you may want to keep the large shuttle van for going to the parks and drop off the mini van when you arrive. Obviously that will only work if you can fit all the park visitors in to the van.

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
430 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do these calculations make sense

yeah thanks- we will fit the "park groups" into the van but the costs saving won't be much if we get the Van Taxi like SCAN60 suggested. Using the Bus/trams and shopping shuttle when we need will make it attractive to drop all the rentals off and use the taxis when we need.