We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Trip To Disney Traveling W/ 15yr old & 10yr old Advice!

Chicago
Level Contributor
162 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
1st Trip To Disney Traveling W/ 15yr old & 10yr old Advice!

This is our 1st family trip to Disney and none of us have been to Disney including myself and I'm 30 yrs old! We are staying in Kissimmee, FL in a condo offsite disney properties in Mid Aug for 5 days. What is traffic and parking prices like for theme parks and beaches? How is the weather and am I going to swept up by a hurricane. Are florida children usually in school in Aug? We will have a rental car so we can explore florida. Any ideas on what I can do at Disney and around the florida area with older children? Also any nice local bars or entertainment for myself. Please send me any links you have for attractions any and all ideas and help is welcomed this is a speacial trip to me I always wanted to be Cinderella!!!!!!

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
18,597 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Trip To Disney Traveling W/ 15yr old & 10yr old Advice!

Mid August (we've been at that time a few times) is still very crowded and of course hot and humid. Lots of kids in different states don't go back till after labor day. We've always managed just fine though. We usually stay on site though at whichever parks we're visiting.

Disney has 4 parks and the 2 waterparks and downtown disney (shopping and restaurants). So 5 days would be perfect for Disney. If you want to do other stuff you'll have to decide what's most important to you. You could do the 4 main parks (4 days) and a beach day.

We were there once with hurricane charley but that is rare. It may or may not rain in the afternoon every day. We've had weeks where it only rained once :)

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
41,433 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Trip To Disney Traveling W/ 15yr old & 10yr old Advice!

As for beach parking, are you wanting to park directly on the beach in the sand? For the few places that allow this on the Atlantic side, it's usually $5 or so.

Parking prices for Disney theme parks is $14 per day, but you only pay once even if you move the car from one parking lot to another (each Disney park has it's own parking lots because the parks are located miles apart from one another in some cases). Disney water parks have no parking fee.

Parking at Universal Orlando is $15 per day, and both parks use the same parking garage facilities so no moving of vehicles are necessary to park hop.

Parking at SeaWorld is also $15 per day.

Traffic getting to WDW from Kissimmee isn't too bad, but it really depends on where in Kissimmee you are staying. If you are on the west side, you won't need very long to commute, but if you are on the east side, it will take a little longer.

Traffic from Kissimmee to Universal can be heavy in the morning rush-hour commute, so I would give myself 45 minutes for that drive up i-4.

Traffic to SeaWorld, if you go up I-4 to that park, will be the same as going to Universal, just not as far. Give yourself 30 minutes for that drive.

Mid August isn't too extremely likely to see tropical storms or hurricanes, and the last one to make a direct hit on Orlando was in 2004 with Charley, but it's always a possibility. However, I wouldn't let it stop me from planning the trip. It will rain most afternoons and evenings, typical FL summer weather, but it's usually not severe and doesn't last very long. It will be very hot, humid, muggy, and you will sweat gallons outside and freeze inside with the "cranked up" A/C in all the indoor facilities.

Most local schools will be back in session by Aug. 19th this year; that's the end of the "summer season" for prices anyway.

Be sure to plan a trip to Downtown Disney for a "rest day" away from the parks, and there's plenty of "entertainment" style recreational venues around the Kissimmee area. There's mini-golf, go-karts, wildlife parks like Gatorland, museums, attractions like the Titanic Exhibit or Wonder Works, air-boat adventures, hot-air balloon rides, and many others.

Are you planning to go to any water parks, Disney or otherwise?

There's some "day trips" you could take to non-beach areas like Merritt Island wildlife refuge, or Kennedy Space Center.

There's a very nice zip line facility not too far from Kissimmee you might check out as well:

floridaecosafaris.reachlocal.com/…

Decatur, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st Trip To Disney Traveling W/ 15yr old & 10yr old Advice!

I always like to suggest reading Unofficial Guide to WDW. You will learn a lot about the theme parks, restaurants, lodging, etc. It includes Sea World and Universal parks. You can't go wrong reading it. I got my last one thru Amazon but your local library may even have it.

But it sounds like you only have 5 days and there is so much to do.

Parking for theme parks I believe is $14 per day. DTD is great, But you can do that for an evening visit. Get ice cream at Ghiradellis, yum. There is no charge to park at DTD

I too would make it a WDW trip with one day at the beach. Cocoa Beach is the closest at about an hour away.

We are lucky and have visited WDW since MK opened in early 70s. Our family, grown sons and all still enjoy our holidays there.

Edited: 19 April 2013, 16:38
Chicago
Level Contributor
162 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st Trip To Disney Traveling W/ 15yr old & 10yr old Advice!

Hey there no I don't plan on parking in the sand on the beach LOL. I live in Chicago we have to pay to park at all our beaches here now for about the last 5 yrs it's fairly new to us to pay to park at beaches. I thought I would ask since this is our situation here in Chicago. I don't know if we will go to any waterparks we are staying at Liki Tiki Village and they have a few pools. I want to go to maybe two Disney parks I'm not going to get a hopper pass because I want to explore one park at a time. I heard the parks are so big it takes a whole day. I don't want to do all disney parks the whole time since I will be in florida for the first time I want to take advantage of activities outside of disney. Since I never been to Disney I'm not sure what parks or activities that will keep a 15 & 10 year old from being bored or saying "its kiddie". Everyone information is helpful. One more question do you save more money being tickets online or at disney when you arrive?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
692 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st Trip To Disney Traveling W/ 15yr old & 10yr old Advice!

I think your kids might enjoy universal more and maybe (dare I say it) only go to one Disney park or even none!

For 5 days I wouldn't worry about a rest day but maybe have a later start for a couple of days.

Why not give the kids access to teh websites and let them come back to you with a choice each and have fun with them working out which parks will be fun to go to.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
977 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st Trip To Disney Traveling W/ 15yr old & 10yr old Advice!

Going in August I would advise getting to the parks in the morning or evening after 6pm. You will have less chance of it rainning then. It will also be less humid. I know everyone will enjoy Seaworld, make sure to get to the shows 30 minutes ahead of time for good seats.

Chicago
Level Contributor
162 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st Trip To Disney Traveling W/ 15yr old & 10yr old Advice!

Bump

pa
Level Contributor
54,408 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st Trip To Disney Traveling W/ 15yr old & 10yr old Advice!

Since it is your First Trip to

"Disney World"

I highly Recomend a visit to all 4 Parks ( a 4 day ticket is only a few dollars more than a 3 day ) The Parks are quite big and there is plenty for all of you to enjoy at each one

www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/themeparks.htm

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,779 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st Trip To Disney Traveling W/ 15yr old & 10yr old Advice!

The kids are old enough to read guidebooks (they're still valuable, even if sales are plummeting) and look at websites, and come up with some ideas for what to do. You won't have time to do Disney and Universal exhaustively. You're coming from a city with world-class attractions, so expect Orlando to be more than a bit provincial.

A number of the theme park items are unique/impressive. Harry Potter at Universal, a number of rides at Disney. The aquarium at Epcot is interesting in large part because it was an engineering marvel when it was built. Of course it's been surpassed, but if the kids are budding engineers... Typhoon Lagoon's wave pool has, I think, the most impressive waves in North America (I wonder about Siam Park in the Canaries), and Blizzard Beach supposedly has the tallest, fastest water slide.

If you go to what Lake Ontario residents call the Real Ocean, Cocoa Beach is close, with Lori Wilson Park popular (you pay for parking). It should have lifeguards. If you have to park on the beach, go to New Smyrna Beach or Daytona Beach. Both are farther. There might be a chance for surf at beaches, should there be an offshore hurricane. In that event, it could be fun to go to a beach to watch the surfers.

Locally, school starts Mon., August 12, in Seminole County (northern suburbs), Aug 19 in Orange County (Orlando ).

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st Trip To Disney Traveling W/ 15yr old & 10yr old Advice!

if you have time you want to go to busch gardens in tampa(8 roller coaters most of any theme park in fl. 3 diffent water rides among a ton of other things.) also seaworld has two amazing roller coaters and a water ride.