We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel help- At a loss after looking at properties

Clarksville, IN
Level Contributor
2,341 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel help- At a loss after looking at properties

So we decided after visiting Disney last year and staying off property that we were going to go back this year and stay on property. This was a big deal to us and we were looking forward to the entire Disney experience. We were going to try to fly down there but we are now 95% sure that we are going to drive.

However, I just looked at all of the Disney properties (can only afford value or moderate) and I am completely unimpressed with the accomodations. I can't really tell you why, but it's just hard to spend that kind of money on a boxy, not modern hotel room when I can get a whole house or condo for less money.

I need help with figuring out whether it is worth it to stay in the less glamorous hotel rooms on property or just do as we always do and stay off property. Is there something I'm missing with the rooms? I'm beginning to forget the advantages to staying on property.

pa
Level Contributor
54,254 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel help- At a loss after looking at properties

Disney Resorts are way more than just your room. It is the Atmosphere, the Amenities, the Cast Members, the Beautiful grounds, the free Transportation, the Dining, the overall ahhhhh factor. Well , it is for us anyway

The Moderate I would suggest is Coronado Springs, it is a lovely Resort, we have stayed many times, always an enjoyable Holiday. We sleep and shower in the room, the rest of the time we are out and about taking advantage of the "Resort" :)

www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2568966

When do you plan to visit ? There are Discounts and Deals

Clarksville, IN
Level Contributor
2,341 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel help- At a loss after looking at properties

Hey Partypa, thanks so much for your response. We are looking to go for about 6 nights somewhere between October 6 and October 19. We are hoping that the free dining plan shows up and that the slight flexibility in our dates will help us catch it if it does. It's looking like we are going to be spending between $2000 for value resorts or $2400 for the moderate resorts (with 4 day tickets). What kinds of discounts exactly will come out?

pa
Level Contributor
54,254 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel help- At a loss after looking at properties

Hopefully the free dining but if not, there will be the Fall room discount. That is usually 20% off at the moderates so you would save about $480

Clarksville, IN
Level Contributor
2,341 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel help- At a loss after looking at properties

Wow, that's really good news. I just have to keep in mind the atmosphere, extra magical hours, and Disney transportation then. There would be no reason for us to use the car on property right?

pa
Level Contributor
54,254 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel help- At a loss after looking at properties

We never rent a car, no need for one. That's saves a bit as well.

Decatur, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel help- At a loss after looking at properties

Also, check out Port Orleans Riverside and Port Orleans French Quarters. We really enjoyed them both and POR was our favorite of the two. They are both moderates and I think you'd like them too.

Clarksville, IN
Level Contributor
2,341 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel help- At a loss after looking at properties

Since we will be driving down we will have our car if we did have to go somewhere. Port Orleans French Quarter is the only one that really looked interesting to me, and the dragon slide at the pool looked pretty cool.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel help- At a loss after looking at properties

If you want to get a lot of information about POFQ (or POR), this is a very good unofficial site that has tons of information:

http://www.portorleans.org/

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
20,701 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel help- At a loss after looking at properties

Disney resorts have two thing to sell:convenience and great public spaces.. The rooms themselves are a poor value for the money.But the pools and health clubs and lobbies are wonderful;top of the line. And while we drive most of the time rather than use their transportation,Disney transportation can be very handy if you don't want to move your car during the day.EMH you can get at the Swan and dolphin and the DTD Hilton. So if what you are looking for is what they have to sell,Disney resorts can be a good choice. We mostly stay offsite in suite hotels but like OKW and AKL very much.

Boston
Level Contributor
30 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel help- At a loss after looking at properties

I highly recommend staying at the Swan or Dolphin. Moderately priced for a location that CANNOT BE BEAT being so close to Epcot, Hollywood Studios and the Boardwalk. Lovely pools. Incredibly comfy beds. (Join the Starwoods program for free.) They do charge for parking. But in my opinion, staying onsite is so incredibly worth it. Have a great trip, no matter where you end up staying.