We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jet Lag

Darwen, United...
Level Contributor
150 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Jet Lag

Could someone please explain Jet Lag & What it will cause when we arrive in Orlando?

Level Contributor
328 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jet Lag

We found that we woke up early for the first few days due to the time difference - but this was an advantage as we had the early admission to Harry Potter at IOA so it was easy to be there by 6.30am!!!

When we came home, the first full day back was tiring but then it seemed ok!!

Darwen, United...
Level Contributor
150 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Jet Lag

Thank You. I wake up early normally anyway, but i think it won't affect me that much as my friends ha! x

Level Contributor
328 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jet Lag

During our holiday we seemed to be up early most days as there was so much to do! We crammed loads into our holiday and were quite often at the parks for rope drop in the morning and still there for the fireworks!!!!

Darwen, United...
Level Contributor
150 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Jet Lag

Sounds very exciting. How long did you go for?

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
14,743 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jet Lag

Katie, I'm nout sure you are serious but here goes.....when you fly to Orlando there is a 5 hour time difference. So, you will get on the plane at say 11.00 am here and arrive in the USA about 9 hours later. That will be 8.00 pm our time but only 3.00 pm USA time. You then have to stay up to a reasonable hour before going to bed. If that is 10.00 pm for you USA time then it will be 3.00 in the morning UK time. This means that you will have been up from say 6.00 am to 3.00 am....21 hours in total. You will therefore be pretty tired for the next day or so and still on UK time and will probably (unless you are one of the lucky few), wake up at 4.00 am or earlier on the first day.

On the way back it is worse as you "lose" the 5 hours and when you get back to the UK your body clock will be all over the place. You are young though so you may not suffer so badly as us older folk!

Darwen, United...
Level Contributor
150 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Jet Lag

I am very serious. Ouch, yeah, i get on a plane from manchester at 11am, then i land at 15.20 USA time. I will be probably okay for a few hours, then it will hit me.

Level Contributor
328 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jet Lag

Katie - we went for 21 nights but ended up staying 22 when our plane was delayed by 24 hours on the way home!

It was our first trip and we just wanted to do loads so we crammed our days and evenings!!! We had a wicked time - just drank loads of water, as it was so hot (it was mid July-beg Aug).

When are you going? Think I read on another post that you're going for 21 nights??

Darwen, United...
Level Contributor
150 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Jet Lag

I'm going on the 31st October 2014. Looking forward to it, as it halloween & we are planning a trip to Halloween Horror Night, then a few drinks

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,457 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jet Lag

The issue is not so much when you get to Florida. You may get a little tired, but no more so than you would having a late night back home. There is so much excitement you will probably not even notice.

Jet lag is a bigger issue flying west to east so on your return, losing those 5 hours can cause people real problems that go beyond mere 'tiredness'. Had mild jet lag once coming home and felt so rough, my head atually felt fuzzy and I was irritable. You feel so tired physicaly, but cannot sleep! It can last a few days.

Happily on other occasions i have been fine and its pretty rare that it causes serious effects. Younger people can cope better and for the majority, it doesnt really happen at all.

Darwen, United...
Level Contributor
150 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Jet Lag

Yeah, we are due to go out on the day we get there as it is halloween :-) X