We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather - storms and rain

Kirkcaldy, United...
Level Contributor
652 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Weather - storms and rain

So we fly out this Saturday I've been keeping an eye on the weather for the 12 days we will be there and it seems that thunderstorms and 20%-60% chance of rain keeps cropping up. Hope there is not too much of this to scupper our plans.

From people experience from going this time of year it is more a case that the rain will come on for an hour a day and then that's it? The same with the storms? My friend stays in Jacksonville and says that it is usual for the odd very short burst of bad weather daily but it's nothing to worry about but looking at the weather forecast it all looks doom and gloom.

Hope all my light clothes will not go to waste. I want to be out and about all the time for my 1st visit.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather - storms and rain

Hi Leeanne,

We've been at this time of year a couple of times and are going again on May 4th for 2 weeks.

My experience suggests that your friend in Jacksonville is spot on and any "bad" weather/rain is short lived and easily avoided. I like to call it "4 o'clock rain" as it seemed to always appear at that time but you could normally tell beforehand its coming as the wind picked up and the temperature dropped a little. Whenever we felt this we just headed for an indoor activity and sat it out. It normally doesn't last very long and 15 minutes after its stopped you wouldn't even know it had been raining.

Obviously there could be exceptions to this "rule" but we have found in the past that late April/May are great for long sunny days and I wouldn't pack any of your Scottish wet weather clothing!

Kirkcaldy, United...
Level Contributor
652 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather - storms and rain

Thank you. I hope for lots of sun.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
17,494 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather - storms and rain

"From people experience from going this time of year it is more a case that the rain will come on for an hour a day and then that's it? The same with the storms?"

Yes, we are beginning the spring/summer pattern.

Listen to your friend in Jacksonville. He/she is correct.

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,451 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather - storms and rain

If you don't come until Saturday, the current forecast isn't useful to what you'll get. We did have some heavy rain, showers, and thunderstorms yesterday and through the night with more rain off and on today likely. These things happen with the changing seasons. I'm sure you'll see plenty of sun even if some rain too. Apart from today, the current forecast is actually nothing but sun. Use the link under Top ?s to stay informed by watching local news videos and forecasts.

Pompey
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather - storms and rain

I'm flying over end of next week & hope the Summer pattern is in, I just love the T/Storms you get there. Strangely I don't feel like I've been unless I've witnessed a good few of them.

One thing to note though is that the forecast can change by the hour not just by the day. So you could leave in the moring expecting a 20% chance of rain but come lunchtime forecast may show 80%, although this can work in reverse too. ;-)

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
19,028 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather - storms and rain

Some recent live trip reports have reported rain and coolish weather. So be prepared for anything :)

Cape Canaveral...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather - storms and rain

"Some recent live trip reports have reported rain and coolish weather. So be prepared for anything :)"

We're hoping the cool weather is done here. Should have highs of 80+ pretty much every day now.

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
4,227 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather - storms and rain

We are not in the summer rainy season just yet. It normally starts around the 25th of May in Orlando. As warm as it's been this year it wouldn't surprise me if it came a little early, but until then anything goes.

Almost all the weather we've been having lately as been driven by fronts pasing in one direction or another, or lows and highs moving around. But, we did have one or two days last week where a sea breeze front formed and dropped some rain.

Kissimmee, Florida
Level Contributor
2,760 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather - storms and rain

we went to epcot last sat there was a 50% chance of rain but we did not see a drop. it did cool off at about 6pm well cool for us anyway.

i'm sure you will have a great time, don't worry so about the rain if you do get a little wet you will dry off in no time.

hope you have a magical time!!

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,939 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather - storms and rain

NO_Member_Name is correct. At present, the weather is dominated by masses of air coming from the continent. By the beginning of June, weather will be dominated by local (technical term, meso-scale) happenings, including the sea breezes that form miniature fronts moving inland, generating thunderstorms.

We've had several wet days, but the next two weeks look dry.