We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rocket Launches

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Rocket Launches

There are two coming up soon May 15th and 22nd.

The 15th May is an Atlas V and the 22nd is a Delta 4 rocket. My question is which is likely to be more impressive? I have been twice to see a shuttle launch and on both occasions it was postponed, I would like to see one (or both) of these two while there in a few weeks time.

Pompey
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rocket Launches

I would say the Delta4 as it's using 4 Solid Rocket Boosters and the launch time is scheduled for 8:30pm local time (Dusk/Night?). the Atlas has no boosters and is scheduled for 5:40-6:00pm (Daytime).

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rocket Launches

Cheers Bluesbro. I will aim for the 22nd then.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,517 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rocket Launches

Yes, the Delta 4 + 4 solid boosters will make more noise, and I agree that a night or even a late dusk launch is more spectacular, especially if you can watch from a place where the blast is reflected in the water. However, the visitors' complex will still be open (you can watch from the parking lot by paying only the parking fee) for the Atlas launch, allowing you to get closer to the pad (37), which makes for a better view.

Neither will have the thrust of the space shuttle, but are well worth the trip. But, as you know, delays are common, so I wouldn't pass up the first launch counting on the second launch going up as scheduled.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rocket Launches

I wonder if I could talk my DW into a trip to the coast on the 15th?

On all my trips I never got to see a shuttle launch up close so would be good to see a rocket go up.

Watched a nightime shuttle launch from Main Street one year, spectacular but not the same.

Pompey
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rocket Launches

Have been lucky enough to have seen around 10 Shuttle launches over the years, some from Kissimmee or Orlando and some from Cocoa/Titusville. There was nothing like being up close & personal (albeit from 5-10ish miles away), you didn't just see & hear it you felt it too from that distance. It's such a shame that we probably won't be able to experience anything that awesome again. :-(

Birmingham
Level Contributor
420 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rocket Launches

wow this is very exciting!! I was lucky enough to see a launch 8 years ago, cant remeber what it was but it was really amazing. The 15th May is our last day so I hope it will go ahead as would love to see another one!!

derby
Level Contributor
232 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rocket Launches

will it be visible from i-drive ?

Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
124 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rocket Launches

Following on from steamanda's question, how much of the launch can usually be seen from Orlando? I assume not much, and that it's better to be at KSC or nearby?

Pompey
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rocket Launches

This is what a shuttle launch looks like from I-Drive.

imageshack.us/photo/…

The biggest rocket now is nowhere this good. You really need to get closer to make it worthwhile. ;-)

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,517 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rocket Launches

From Orlando, you might be able to see a speck of flame and a white trail in the sky if there are no clouds or mist and the sun allows (the flame in a night launch is more visible). However, unless you were looking for it, you could easily miss it, and there would be no sound whatsoever. The rumbling noise of the rocket is a big part of the experience. If you are lucky enough to be in the area during a launch, I would invest the 45-60 minutes to drive over to KSC, Titusville, or Cape Canaveral / Cocoa Beach to be up close. Even when only 15-20 miles away from KSC, the sound is somewhat diminished, and the rocket can be well up in the air by the time the sound reaches you.