We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the policy on lineholding?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
752 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What is the policy on lineholding?

Way back when, when we first started going to WDW, I read all those books about how to get around WDW in the most efficient way. They wrote that one person is allowed to stand in line for the whole family. Then at the end, the family can join that person.

I noticed many years ago, that was accepted. Lately, I notice that there is much animosity if you do that even though Disney allowed it.

What is the policy now?

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,754 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the policy on lineholding?

Not good etiquette I'm afraid. I would be really p*ssed off if I were in line and a whole family or group suddenly appeared in front of me to join someone. It is classed as queue jumping and Disney do not allow it. I have complained to cast members in the past and people have been sent to the back of the line. No one minds a kid being taken to the bathroom but holding places for a group is a no no as far as I'm concerned.

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
16,973 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the policy on lineholding?

I agree totally with USL. Goodness imagine a bunch of different people on line doing this in front of you, how would you feel?

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,440 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the policy on lineholding?

Agree with the above posters. Imagine if everyone sent just one person to wait in line, and then several (or more!) people showed up at the last minute.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
860 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the policy on lineholding?

Ditto to what everyone said.

pa
Level Contributor
53,716 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the policy on lineholding?

I also agree

The solution is to Understand and use the Free Fast Pass System and no one needs to wait in line :)

http://allears.net/tp/fastpass.htm

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
6,260 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the policy on lineholding?

If that is your plan you should be planning a jaunt to Disneyland Paris, where it runs rampant and Cast Members don't care. It's really poor form to do it in WDW. How would you feel on the receiving end?

Tellico Plains...
Level Contributor
626 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is the policy on lineholding?

This happened alot this past January when I was at Disney and it just got very tiring. So tiring that when it happened at the Dessert Party my entire family had just had enough. It ruined the day at the end because up until the dessert party we had not said anything to anyone about it. We did say something that time but, time was lost.

No one wants to be the person who makes a kid go to the back of the line, Parents please do not put others in that position.

Everyone has their breaking point and it will not make anyones day Magical to be taken there.

Please do not let greed make you look as something you and the person calling you out is not.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What is the policy on lineholding?

I think we all agree on the same thing here! I remember a girl I dated in my 20's. I went to WDW with her family(12) total. I remember her mom calling us to see where we were and asked if we wanted to catch up with them on space mountain. We refused to skip to reach them. We were content in waiting like normal people. Some people just have no shame.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is the policy on lineholding?

surely this also then makes waiting times completly innacurate, If 3 or 4 families in line at a time do this then it would increase waiting times for those that had already been waiting their turn, to me thats def not fair

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
6,260 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is the policy on lineholding?

Wait times are updated every couple of minutes based on guests actual time in line. Cast members hand out red cards every 5-10 minutes and ask guests to hand them in when they reach load. Only the few rides that are still done by sight would be off.