We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hire car insurance in Florida

Doncaster, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Hire car insurance in Florida

Is it cheaper to but insurance from tour operator or pay when car is picked up in Orlando ? Tour operator quoting over £30 per day (thats with a 30% reduction )

Seaham, United...
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hire car insurance in Florida

We usually book our car and insurance through a UK broker. It works out much cheaper than taking the 'free' car.

There are various packages available but we always book the one with two drivers and a full tank of petrol (Gold or Platinum) These packages come with full insurance cover and you will have nothing else to pay when you collect your car unless you decide to upgrade on collection. I would not recommend this. Make sure you book the correct size car for your party and you will not need any upgrade regardless of what the desk clerk may try to tell you.

Look at these websites for quotes:

www.tripwheels.com

www.usrentacar.co.uk

www.uscarhire.co.uk

These companies are all well recommended on this forum. You will find many people who back a package will tell you that booking your car with a broker will work out cheaper for you. We saved a lot of money on our last booking with Thomson by not taking the 'free' car. On that occassion I booked the car rental through Virgin Atlantic as they were offering the best deal for my dates. That is why I would suggest looking at more than one website.

Regards,

Deaconblue

UK
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hire car insurance in Florida

Who's that with?

Normally we get the car direct through the car rental company itself and book online beforehand. I think we've managed to get the car, with insurance etc. for less than £30 a day. Can't remember who with though etc.

I think this reminds me of last year's trip to Florida, where we were looking at going through Thomson (we did, for the flights only). Car hire was included, but it didn't include insurance which, if we were renting the car through Thomson, we HAD to get. We looked at costs and saw that getting the car through the car rental company direct (in our case, Dollar) and booking online would cost us less for the car and insurance (insurance is generally included) than if we got the car free with Thomson and bought their insurance.

Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
3,196 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hire car insurance in Florida

Assuming you're not under 21, and travelling for 14 nights, even £30 per day gives you a total of £420, which is still £30-50 more than hiring a luxury car with a uk-broker, including all mandatory insurances.

I have used uscarhire as a comparison, although there are several more, like tripwheels, floridacarhire etc;

Economy car- £243 or £17.30 per day.

Compact- £255 or £18.20 per day.

Intermediate- £272 or £19.40 per day.

Full-size- £304 or £21.70 per day.

Intermediate suv ( Ford escape or similar) - £317 or £22.60 per day.

Premium- £349 or £24.90 per day.

7-seat passenger van ( Dodge grand caravan or similar) - £370 or £26.40 per day.

Luxury- £390 or £27.80 per day.

All the above are based on 14-day rental periods for driver over 21, including full CDW.

Doncaster, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hire car insurance in Florida

The figure I quoted was for the additional insurance only, car included in package deal. Do I have to use tour operators,Thomson, insurance or can I arrange separately in the UK ?

Seaham, United...
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hire car insurance in Florida

Thomson will not allow you to insure independently, only with them or when you collect the car.

What myself and others are trying to tell you is that you can get a fully insured car through a broker for LESS than the cost of the insurance through Thomson.

You do not have to take the car from Thomson. Feeling pushed into taking the tour operators 'free' car and fully paid insurance is a common theme with first time travellers to Florida.

Regards,

Deaconblue

Blackpool
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hire car insurance in Florida

Not sure about the others but if you go through the uscarhire.co.uk web site you will get breakdown and windscreen insurance for $2.50 per day, the same insurance from the car hir companies is around$8 per day.

If you breakdown, get a flat tyre or haved to be towed in "You are not covered with the ordinary rental agreements".

It will also probably be cheaper to hire through an outside company anyway. Tour operators prices are very high - they want a big cut too

7. Re: Hire car insurance in Florida

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2014, 06:18