We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worried about rain!

New York, New York
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Worried about rain!

We leave tomorrow, may 2, and the next few days seem kind if rainy. We return on may 6, I'm worried our trip will be a washout! Any advice?

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,991 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worried about rain!

The five day forecast shows a CHANCE of rain ranging from 70% Friday to 30% on Sunday. However, the last two days, it has only rained in the evening. Take small folding umbrellas and/or ponchos. It may rain, but I don't think you will have to worry about a washout

Orlando
Level Contributor
10,435 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worried about rain!

If you are worried about rain. buy a pancho. It is not like members on Trip Advisor have a magical ability to stop Mother Nature.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worried about rain!

lol surffish!

New York, New York
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Worried about rain!

Didn't expect that kind of snark on this board. We're really excited for our first trip to disney, and I'm looking for advice for things to do if it's raining. But glad you got to get a joke in!

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worried about rain!

Our first trip it started raining buckets, like nothing I have seen before. We were like , like huh, isn't anyone think this is a little strange. Everyone just ducked inside for a few minutes and it cleared in an hour. Workers said it does this all the time, no big deal. We have been all sunny days and mixed days, the mixed days are much better. You get a hot one and it gets pretty bad in the afternoon

Elk Grove Village...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Worried about rain!

Rain in Orlando is not like rain in New York. In warmer months it is very common to have afternoon storms that last 30 minutes to an hour. However, it is extremely uncommon to lose an entire day to rain. Even when it does rain, it might be raining at one park and not at another.

At the parks, unless there is lightning, everything stays open. Even if there is lightning, only a handful of rides close until the lightning goes away.

If it does rain, you have a couple of options. You can find something to do inside. Take that as an opportunity to do some shopping, or go to a character meet and greet, or find an indoor ride or show. Or you can choose to get wet (either with a poncho or without). That's actually the choice that we usually make (usually with ponchos). The lines for outdoor rides, particularly when the lines themselves are outdoors, generally get really small during the rain.

Don't let the "one icon for the day" weather forecast scare you. Yes, you could very easily see some rain while you are there, but it probably won't last long, and it shouldn't keep you from enjoying your trip.

Wheaton, Illinois
Level Contributor
131 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Worried about rain!

I understand your concern. You never want to see rain in the forecast every day of your much anticipated vacation! I used to travel to this area of FL monthly for work, and now find myself down there often for fun. My experience with rain in FL is that it comes in quick bursts and is then gone just as quickly. The sun comes out and dries everything right back up. Don't let it worry you too much. Bring ponchos or umbrellas as suggested, and a rain cover for a stoller if applicable, and I find that there are a lot of covered areas as well as indoor rides and attractions to keep your family entertained during any rainy times. It really shouldn't ruin your trip this time of year. We are headed down on Saturday, so we might be racing your family to the Tiki Room to wait out some stormy looking clouds. ;)

Indiana
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
412 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Worried about rain!

What Gleece said.

It rarely rains all day in Orlando. It's usually a pop up storm here and there in the early afternoon and then the sun comes back out in the evening.

We went last June and it rained everyday for a little bit. We just ducked into a shop or got in a line for a ride and we were fine. The only time it really got to us was the night we were are the Magic Kingdom and it stormed bad enough to cancel out the light and fireworks. That did suck.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Worried about rain!

It always rains, and rains hard when we go, but we won't be there in early May, so you have nothing to worry about. Actually, out of 9 trips, we had four without lots of rain, and one of those was in early May. The tropical season comes later, and that is when you can get really bad rain every day.

Edited: 01 May 2013, 15:13
New York, New York
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Worried about rain!

Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions!