We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yikes! Do you think this is enough time?

Bristol
Level Contributor
322 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Yikes! Do you think this is enough time?

Just had confirmation from United Airlines that they have changed my flight time on the return journey,

We land in Dulles Washington from our internal flight at 6.10pm and our outbound flight to Heathrow is 6.50pm surely 40 minutes is impossible as the gate shuts 40 minutes prior to take off.

I would not be worried if it was an internal flight to Orlando as there are other flights after but there will only be one back to Heathrow and if we miss this one we are stuck.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,062 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yikes! Do you think this is enough time?

I would not be comfortable with that scenario. Get United to rebook you on an earlier flight with no change fee.

Bristol
Level Contributor
322 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yikes! Do you think this is enough time?

They have made this change I was supposed to be flying out of Newark with a 2 hour cushion when we arrived from Orlando.

Do you think this time scale is impossible and how long before take off do the gates shut.

Why would they make this change if the Airline did not think it was possible.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,062 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yikes! Do you think this is enough time?

"Why would they make this change if the Airline did not think it was possible."

Who cares? Just try to get it changed.

edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,777 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yikes! Do you think this is enough time?

I would not be happy, if you are seated towards the back of the plane from Orlando, it could take a while to get off. Just a small delay, when taxiing in Orlando or Dulles could cause problems.

Is there a later plane from Dulles to London you can catch?

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
1,732 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yikes! Do you think this is enough time?

40 minutes is madness. No chance you have of making this on time. What happens if a thunderstorm happens in Orlando (which is frequent) and that delays your flight from Orlando.

You need around 1 hour 30 minutes at minimum, 2 hours would be better. I am surprised United won't fly you from MCO to EWR then to UK

Bristol
Level Contributor
322 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yikes! Do you think this is enough time?

My point was that I don't understand why the Airline would change my flight time to a flight that I don't have a hope in hell to making.

What if they refuse to let me change it.

When I booked my flights I made sure I left plenty of time for change over going is fine as they have not changed that one.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
692 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yikes! Do you think this is enough time?

I think they will change it, if not I believe you are their responsibility they need to get you back home anyway they can or accommodate you as you will be officially in "transit". I am assuming you booked the flight as one and not separately.

I always worry about transit times of less than 90mins because I'm unsure if my luggage will make it.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
1,732 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yikes! Do you think this is enough time?

United are pretty good in that way. Its an automatic change, as in no human has done it, but to change the flight, they will do so for you for free. It happened when I was going from EWR to MCO, i asked them to put me on the later as i did not want to miss it and they done so despite me having 1 hour 15 mins (which was JUST enough time to clear CBP - although had the queue been longer...) but give them a call and they will do it :-)

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,996 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yikes! Do you think this is enough time?

Contact United immediately. This connection is almost impossible. You may make it but your checked luggage probably has little chance.

The legal connection is maybe 55 minutes? I'm not sure but it's surely more than 40 minutes. So, call United and express your concern.

K30
Cornwall
Level Contributor
650 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yikes! Do you think this is enough time?

Yikes is right. you ever flown through IAD? The time from getting off the plane to leaving that damn place was the longest I have ever encountered. That is just not enough time to be at all comfortable with. as per previous advice, right UA and change it.

Edited: 03 May 2013, 20:21