We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Older Couple visiting Orlando without kids. What to do ?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wokingham, United...
Level Contributor
334 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Older Couple visiting Orlando without kids. What to do ?

We are considering visiting Orlando for the first time in November and are in our 50s and 60s. I'd like to visit the Space center but am unsure about the suitability of the other famous theme parks for us. I'm a bit old for the roller coasters et al .Is it all really just for the kids ?

As I understand it there is a 14 day all access ticket that gets you into both Universal and Disney theme parks but as we are only going to be there for 8 days will this still be better value than paying daily admissions ? I think I'd like to see Epcot center, Disney Hollywood studios Universal studios Busch gardens. The Islands. Animal Kingdom but I'd also like to have a day for the Space center too.

The all access ticket seems quite expensive and any advice on which cost effective way to go would be much appreciated

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,754 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Older Couple visiting Orlando without kids. What to do ?

We're in our 50's and love all the parks. You're never to old for coasters!! If you have never been I would highly recommend the Magic Kingdom, Disney at it's best. It's certainly not just for kids.

Look at www.undercovertourist.com you only need to buy tickets for the amount of days you are visiting. If you want to visit all the Disney parks buy a 4 day magic your way base ticket.

Edited: 09 May 2013, 20:28
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
181 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Older Couple visiting Orlando without kids. What to do ?

If your not into roller coasters you may find universal and Busch a bit limiting as that is their forte. My suggestion would be Epcot, Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom as musts - consider Seaworld that leaves plenty of time for Cape Canaveral and some shopping - 3 Day / 4 Day Disney ticket - one day Seaworld and one day Space Coast.

Thats not to say Bush isn't a great park, it is but you are likely to find 80% of the attractions are not your thing - Youtube will let you see POV (point of view) videos shot from many of the rides - I urge you to do some more research before you buy $100 ticket for 2 or 3 rides and a mediocre meal. Same goes for the 2 Universal Parks.

Orlando, Florida
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Older Couple visiting Orlando without kids. What to do ?

there's also seaworld which is mainly shows and walk though animal habitats.me and my family spend all day there and we don't do any rides there.they also have animal feeding.busch gardens has a few walking trails where you can see animals and a few shows.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,742 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Older Couple visiting Orlando without kids. What to do ?

Are you interested in seeing & doing anything else beside the theme parks and maybe Kennedy Space Center? If so, how much "extra" time would you have?

Edited: 09 May 2013, 20:58
Wokingham, United...
Level Contributor
334 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Older Couple visiting Orlando without kids. What to do ?

Thank you both for your input. I now see by the crowd monitor that I have accidentaly chosen one of the busiest times to visit over the US thanksgiving weekend so that was a bit of a downer as I'm not into queues. I cannot change my dates now sadly.

I'm currently awaiting delivery of my DK eyewitness guide for the parks and Orlando so I'm sure I will have a better idea by then whats what. We do not drive but are considering staying at the North end of International drive near Universal. As I understand it there is a thing called the lynx bus system running up and down the drive . Does anyone know where I might find a timetable for these buses as we do not drive.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,004 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Older Couple visiting Orlando without kids. What to do ?

For the Disney parks:

My DH doesn't do any thrill rides and he liked:

Epcot-great for strolling and eating and drinking. Several nice rides (Spaceship Earth, Soarin', etc) that are quite gentle but fun.

Then either:

Magic Kingdom-many slower rides and classic Disney magic.

or

Animal Kingdom-if you enjoy wildlife, much less in the way of gentle rides than the MK but with excellent shows in Festival of the Lion King and Finding Nemo-the Musical.

Happy Planning!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
181 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Older Couple visiting Orlando without kids. What to do ?

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/

The links on the right will give you insight on each park - you need to do some research before you know what you dont know.

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
17,518 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Older Couple visiting Orlando without kids. What to do ?

I don't do coasters and love all of Disney and Universal/IOA. Plenty to do and see in all the parks :)

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
961 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Older Couple visiting Orlando without kids. What to do ?

We are in our 60s and don't do rides except for certain ones. Don't worry about your dates, the weather should be beautiful. There are great buffets on Thanksgiving, and the other days will be fine for the parks. Definatley do Epcot, there is some great entertainment there Tuesday through Saturdays. They have a ride called Soarin that is fantastic. You feel like you're Soarin over oceans, forests, etc. but you don't move. Try and get a FAST PASS for it early in the morning. Epcot has the best fireworks as well. Another favorite of mine is SeaWorld. The exhibits and shows are fantastic.

Wokingham, United...
Level Contributor
334 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Older Couple visiting Orlando without kids. What to do ?

Sadly here in the UK we dont have a thanksgiving holiday period and I was unaware when I booked my holidays that this period would likely exactly coincide with bumper crowds and long queues for everything. I as a consequence may leave Orlando for another year health permitting as I cannot now change my holidays . If anyone has been previously during this period please let me know what your experiences were of it and whether I should still consider visiting at this time of year

Thank you very much all who responded the information may come in handy again if I decide to visit in the future.:(

Edited: 10 May 2013, 00:30