We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Think we've decided - eeekkk! Questions?!?!

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
199 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Think we've decided - eeekkk! Questions?!?!

Hi

So we have decided to stay in the Peabody. We decided we wanted more of a suite than just a room.

Has anyone flown with Monarch? I don't fancy it but it's so cheap. Got the travel agents looking into Virgin flights to compare.

We definitely want to do -

Disneyworld

Sea world

Busch gardens

Universal

Epcot

Kennedy space centre (is it too far away, is it worth it?)

Also thinking about heading to Kissimmee for a day - anyone recommend things to do?

We're not too fussed on doing big rides, it's more about enjoying the environment so we're thinking about just buying the Disney day tickets which you can add days on to rather than a 14 day pass.

Any restaurant, sight seeing, shop etc recommendations anyone has that would be great :-)

Thanks

Tre x

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Think we've decided - eeekkk! Questions?!?!

Disneyworld is 4 parks, Magic Kingdom, EPCOT, Hollywood Studios & Animal Kingdom, I would recommend you try and do them all if you have time.

If you are interested in space travel the Kennedy Space Centre is worth it, will you have a car?

Don't quite know what you want to go to Kissimmee for, there's not a lot to see there apart from more souvenir shops the same as they have on IDrive. If you haven't got a car I wouldn't make the effort, if you have a car you could drive down there to have a quick look.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
20,074 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Think we've decided - eeekkk! Questions?!?!

KSC,you will need to have a car or arrange with one of tour buses. I think its well worth it. About an hour from Orlando.For restaurants,we like Narcoosees,Sunshine Season ,Flame Tree Barbecue,HS mama Melrose for one at each Disney park. We like Emerils at Universal. In the general area,we like Carabbas,Seasons 52,Ravenous Pig,Ruth Chris,Shulas Stakhouse and Little Saigon. Unless it gets horribel reviews, we fly with the cheapest-even if the flight lacks frills,it is not your vacation and will save you lots of money to have ice cream sundaes at Ghiradellis or swim with the dolphins. There's not much in Kissimmee. Check www.mousesavers.com for lots of free and cheap things to do-you can spend a whole day at Disney just riding around on the boats and monorail and walking around the various resorts and having a meal there

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
199 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Think we've decided - eeekkk! Questions?!?!

Sorry forgot to say we will be getting a car.

A few people had said Kissimmee was nice but if there isn't much going on it might be best to just spend it at another park or something.

Monarch has had some really bad reviews which is what's putting me off. It's cramped, old etc. I'll see what the agent comes back with at virgin so we can make a better decision.

How much spending money do you think? Not including park tickets.

Thanks

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
161 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Think we've decided - eeekkk! Questions?!?!

Don't know how much Monarch costs but we have always found Virgin to be quite reasonable. Also cramped and hit and miss service though! They have some of the lowest legroom around on Virgin.

dudley uk
Level Contributor
136 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Think we've decided - eeekkk! Questions?!?!

Have you checked out Thomson flights? Although they fly into Stanford same as Monarch not MCO like Virgin or BA. we've always found them pretty comfy on long haul compared to monarch or thomas cook. They'Ve got their new 787 Dreamliner flying later this year.

Edited: 13 May 2013, 21:37
Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Think we've decided - eeekkk! Questions?!?!

Has anyone flown with Monarch? I don't fancy it but it's so cheap.

=====================

You get what you pay for. Monarch will get you there and back with no frills. Take the flights if this doesn't bother you and you can spent the extra in Orlando. Also check out Thomson as has been suggested.

Berkshire, United...
Level Contributor
389 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Think we've decided - eeekkk! Questions?!?!

Having flown with both Virgin and Monarch to Orlando I would strongly advise AGAINST monarch. We flew with them last year and they were absolutely awful. Never ever again! Yes Virgin costs more - but trust me its 100% worth it. Monarch charges for: drinks, snacks, headphones to watch the movies (and no seatback TV with monarch - virgin have seatback a with in demand films TV shows, music etc.) Virgin include unlimited drinks and snacks - their seats are much bigger and comfier.

Also - as others have said I would skip Kissimmee for the day - if you have a car why bot head down to cocoa beach for a chill out day (1hr drive) or head to the Florida Mall or Mall at Millennia (if you like shopping!).

I've never stayed at the Peabody but I've heard good things about it!

Have a great time :) feel free to ask more questions :)

Essex
Level Contributor
284 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Think we've decided - eeekkk! Questions?!?!

Have travelled with all of the carriers but monarch by far the worst

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,686 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Think we've decided - eeekkk! Questions?!?!

Consider flying Aer lingus from LHR to MCO

via Dublin

Youtube " U S Customs at dublin airport "

Google " MCO AIRPORT - ARRIVALS GUIDE "

Edited: 14 May 2013, 16:19
Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
616 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Think we've decided - eeekkk! Questions?!?!

Hi,

We are staying at The Peabody in June for our honeymoon and so far, all email contact has been above and beyond what I would expect.

We are flying monarch PE, which was £99 per person upgrade. Normal economy is apparently not so great but I think PE is OK, especially for the price.

It was £300 less per person for comparable virgin holiday.