We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a QUIET WDW hotel and pool for older couple?

Lancashire, UK
7 posts
Save Topic
Looking for a QUIET WDW hotel and pool for older couple?

Hello, although I have been reading both this and the Disneyworld forum off and on for a couple of months now, this will be my first post and wonder if anyone can advise please?

I've been thinking of taking my wife back to WDW for our holiday this year in late Sept / early Oct. We would stay on site as we do not drive. We last visited 11 years ago for our second wedding anniversary, staying for two weeks at Port Orleans Riverside, same time of year. We found POR suited us at it was very quiet and peaceful, we did not use the main pool as that was too busy and noisy for us but we did enjoy one of the quiet pools. We found the rooms to be adequate but would have preferred a balcony.

With this in mind I have read quite a few TA reviews on some of the deluxe resorts and also on POR, realising things may have changed since our last visit. I have also watched walk through videos on You Tube of most of the WDW hotels and all seem to have LOUD music playing at the main pools. Whilst I expect the main pools to be noisy from children, I'm sure the loud music / activities weren't going on when we last visited. On the POR video the loud music could still be heard when the "cameraman" was over on the other side near the Mansion buildings, possibly meaning that the "quiet" pools aren't actually quiet? Animal Kingdom Lodge doesn't appear to have a quiet pool and on that video the pool noise could be heard almost everywhere the cameraman went.

What we are looking for is the safety and convenience of staying onsite but in a quieter atmosphere. We would not be visiting the parks all the time so want to be able to spend quiet days around the pool.

My questions then are these:

1) Is what we want possible at a WDW hotel and if so where? We liked POR and also like the look of AKL? Not sure about somewhere like Saratoga Springs although many TA reviewers say it is very quiet.

2) Does the loud music go on at all WDW main pools and does it go on all day or just at certain times of the day? If it is only at scheduled times we could plan our pool time to avoid it could've we?

3) Can the music from the main pool be heard at the quieter pools?

Thank you for any information or advise you can offer.

Mentioned in this post
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
Disney's Port Orleans...
9,129 Reviews
Orlando, FL
World of Disney
Disney Parks & Activities, Gift & Speciality Shops
Disney's Animal Kingdom
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Theme Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Epcot
Theme Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique
Disney Parks & Activities, Gift & Speciality Shops
Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a QUIET WDW hotel and pool for older couple?

answered on the Orlando forum :)

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
442 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a QUIET WDW hotel and pool for older couple?

For moderate Reort, consider Coronado Springs if you are looking to do something other than Port Orleans. For Deluxe resorts I would consider Wilderness Lodge. Also look into the following DVC resorts: Old Key West, Bay Lake Tower, and Tree house Villas. I think all of those would suit you fine. We have never stayed at Tree House and Old Key West, but we have visited both properties. Tree House provides a lot of serenity but still gives you the luxury of using the transportation.

Mentioned in this post
Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort
Bay Lake Tower at...
1,803 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Disney's Old Key West Resort
Disney's Old Key West...
2,703 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Disney's Port Orleans...
9,129 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Disney's Coronado...
6,500 Reviews
Orlando, FL
pa
Level Contributor
54,735 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a QUIET WDW hotel and pool for older couple?

I would also Recomend Coronado Springs, a more adult atmosphere, very nice quiet pools and very good dining options

www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2568966

And the Wilderness Lodge, relaxing and peaceful. There is a wonderful Quiet pool and hot tub, off the beaten path so to speak. Very nice dining options. Beach area, that is never crowded :)

www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2969675

The Animal Kingdom Lodge is wonderful but there is no quiet pool. The Main Pool is the Main Attraction ( besides the Animal Viewing locations of course ) so most everyone is always gathered around the Pool Area, not the most peaceful place to be

www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2961001

Edited: 20 May 2013, 00:02
Mentioned in this post
Disney's Coronado...
6,500 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a QUIET WDW hotel and pool for older couple?

The Swan and Daolphin have an excellent pool area, with far fewer children than most WDW hotels. To me, it's the best pool area for adults because it' s so large, has fewer children, and better yet, the center of the pool area is over 5 feet deep, too deep for most kids to stand, so there's plenty of room for adults to swim. There are so many different pools and sections that the kids tend to congegate in the shallower sections. It's also a beautiful area, with lots of palm trees and a tropical atmosphere. I hate loud music blasting at the pool, and have encountered it there only rarely - generally only if there's a convention. On those rare occasions, I simply take my chair down to the large lovely the beach lining the lake, with views across to Epcot- no noise there.

Edited: 20 May 2013, 00:17
Mentioned in this post
Epcot
Epcot
24,406 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a QUIET WDW hotel and pool for older couple?

It's so exciting you've decided to come back to WDW! There are tons of resorts on property so I'm sure that you'll be able to find one you like.

If you're looking to stay on the moderate resort level, Port Orleans Riverside is still a good option. Generally speaking the music by the pool is only during the day during the children's activities and usually by the main pool only. If you're looking to try something different, Coronado Springs is my favorite moderate resort. It's very spread out and spacious, and definitely very quiet. The main pool can get noisy, but there are also three quiet pools you could enjoy if you choose. Coronado is a very relaxing atmosphere that I think would be very good for what you're looking for, and it's around the same price as POR.

If you're looking to try a deluxe resort level, Animal Kingdom Lodge and Wilderness Lodge are both good options. WL is just a boat ride from MK if you choose to visit the parks, and is very quiet and peaceful. I feel that Wilderness Lodge is very often overlooked - which is a shame because it has some beautiful theming and the Whispering Canyon Cafe is fabulous! AKL is great as well - it doesn't even feel like you're in Florida when you see a giraffe walking by your window! AKL is the cheapest deluxe resort as well, so it's a good way to sort of ease into a deluxe resort. The pools at AKL are not as quiet as those at WL though, so definitely take that into consideration when deciding.

IMO Saratoga Springs is very quiet but kind of plain. It's also more expensive, and I would rather spend the money on something like AKL instead. Saratoga is definitely nice but not my favorite by any means.

I hope this helps your decision! Whatever you choose, I hope you have a fantastic trip to WDW and love your resort :)

Mentioned in this post
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Disney's Animal Kingdom...
7,324 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Disney's Port Orleans...
9,129 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Disney's Coronado...
6,500 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Whispering Canyon Cafe
Whispering Canyon Cafe
2,195 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Florida
Florida
United States
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a QUIET WDW hotel and pool for older couple?

I meant the Swan and Dolphin.

Lancashire, UK
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a QUIET WDW hotel and pool for older couple?

Thank you all for your replies so far.

Partypa, could you tell me please at the Wilderness Lodge does the music at the main pool go on all day long or just at specific times and can it be heard at the quiet pool and the beach?

Would I be right in thinking that the pools are quieter in the morning until say early afternoon? I'm thinking that maybe they get busy later in the afternoon when people are coming back from the parks for a break and swim - am I right on this? If so we could maybe turn our schedule around and have pool time until early afternoon and then go out to the parks?

pa
Level Contributor
54,735 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for a QUIET WDW hotel and pool for older couple?

The Wilderness Lodge has the Main Pool Games and music in the afternoon, not all day long. You would be correct in thinking the morning is quieter :)

We often do just that, relax around the Resort til afternoon and head to the Parks when everyone else is coming back for a rest and a swim

The Quiet Pool is very nice and far enough away from the Main Pool it really is more relaxing. I have always believed that most folks staying in the Lodge think the Quiet Pool is just for those staying I the Villas, we won't tell them any differently ok ? :-)

Fort Worth
Level Contributor
11,544 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for a QUIET WDW hotel and pool for older couple?

I would suggest the Boardwalk Inn, in a courtyard room. Very peaceful gardens and nice quiet pool just outside your door. You have all of the Epcot and Boardwalk area dining/entertainment venues, as well as Hollywood Studios within walking distance or a short boat ride. Fewer families stay at Boardwalk as children tend to prefer storm-along-bay, just across the lake, at Yacht/Beach.

For a moderate, I would go with Coronado Springs.

Happy planning!

Mentioned in this post
Disney's Coronado...
6,500 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Epcot
Epcot
24,406 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Hollywood
Hollywood
Broward County, FL
10. Re: Looking for a QUIET WDW hotel and pool for older couple?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2014, 06:16