We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter Park

Level Contributor
199 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Winter Park

Just wondering if anyone has been to Winter Park? My mum has seen an article and would now like to go! We are staying at southern dunes and not sure how far away it is or how long the drive is, other than it is north of orlando!! What would people recommend we di there, is it a whole day trip? Thank you:)

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,432 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter Park

An afternoon maybe. Or I guess a day if you plan a number of activities. I'd count on at least 40 minutes or so from Southern Dunes. Park Ave. is a nice street to walk with a variety of shops to browse and various eateries for a drink and or some food. There is a nice scenic boat tour you can take and the Morse Museum with the largest collection of works by Louis Comfort Tiffany. There are a number of good restaurants in the area. Leu Gardens isn't far if you want another nice activity. Nor Downtown Orlando/Lake Eola for that matter.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,976 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter Park

"Just wondering if anyone has been to Winter Park?"

Winter Park is the community next to mine. There are shops, restaurants, an interesting boat tour, etc.

It's an afternoon, maybe more. I'd recommend it as a nice restful day.

southernliving.com/travel/…

Winter Park Scenic Boat Tour

http://www.scenicboattours.com/

clickorlando.com/entertainment/…index.html

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter Park

I'm taking my 78 year old mum to Florida in November- we are staying in a villa off US27 in Davenport- do you think this would be a suitable trip for a senior citizen (easy parking, walking etc)?

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,976 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter Park

Downtown Winter Park (i.e. Park Avenue)is a small town with street parking. I would recommend going on a week day, because the area is popular on the weekends with locals. Window shopping and dining in a restaurant (and there are some good ones) should not be a problem. The Winter Park Boat Tour is a very relaxing 1-hour ride through some of the canals and along the shore of several lakes is also very sedate and just a nice way to see the area, especially if the weather is nice. Now that we are beginning the rainy season, this means that a morning boat tour would be a better choice than an afternoon one.

Level Contributor
199 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter Park

My dad is 72 and my mum is 69 and they suggested it!!

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
308 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Winter Park

We went to Winter Park for the day when we visited Orlando in April. Was a nice relaxing day out, we did the scenic boat tour of the lakes (lasts an hour) then strolled around the shops and stopped off for lunch and a drink at one of the many street cafes. Had ice creams and sat in the large park area in the afternoon. We loved it, thought it was a really nice day away from the main tourist attractions in Orlando and would visit again.

One thing to note is that all the museums, etc are closed on a Monday - we went on a Monday!!!!! Shops are all open though!

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,976 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Winter Park

Here is a follow-up to my previous post as I just saw it. If you and planning to eat dinner in Winter Park (and there are many good restaurants to choose from) this is a good deal:

travelzoo.com/local-deals/…

Bosphorous is a very nice place and they consistently get good reviews. I have eaten there once and enjoyed it very much.

Orlando
Level Contributor
10,427 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Winter Park

"Easy walking and parking? " Easy walking, yes. Easy parking, no. At least, not near the Farmer's market on the weekend. There is a garage with some parking, there is street parking, and a few small parking lots. You may have to drive around for a bit to find something.

Whitefish, Montana
Level Contributor
913 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Winter Park

I live in Winter Park. Great for seniors. Wonderful food. Try Cucina 214. off Park Ave on Welbourne. Park in the garages on either end of Park Ave. Do the boat tour and take water. It can get very warm. Save room for dessert at the Croissant Gourmet on Morse. They make croissants and French pastries throughout the day.

Rollins College also has a great speakers and writers series. Might be worth your trouble to check it out.

Don't go on Mondays or Saturdays.

Level Contributor
362 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Winter Park

Matissegirl why not mon/sat? Are they busy or places closed? Were thinking a day in Winter park in Aug thanks Linda.