We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a 3 day visit in October. My head is spinning

Seattle
Level Contributor
621 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a 3 day visit in October. My head is spinning

We're 4 adults (50-55) planning a 3 day visit in October. There are so many options I'm not sure where to start. I know 3 days is not much but we're going to the Bahamas afterwards. None of us have been to Disney in the last 40+ years. 2 of us are turning 50 & we want to celebrate our birthdays in Disney. I know I'll need to do a lot of research but please give me a head start, I have so many questions!!!

1. Which Parks are the best for adults & would be realistic to visit in the 3 days we are there?

2. We would prefer a suite/apartment with 2 bedrooms but not sure if those are available nearby. We won't have a car. Since we have only 3 days, we don't want to spend lots of time commuting but we don't want to break the bank either. Hoping for $200-$300/night or $100-150/night/room if we get 2 separate rooms. Should we stay at one of the Disney Hotel, another hotel nearby (which area), use vrbo or other?

3. Best way to get discounts on Disney Hotels or Hotels nearby, bidding on Priceline, travel agencies, mousesavers.com, others???

If you can help with these to start it would be greatly appreciated. It would help me focus in some directions instead of spinning all over the place :-)

pa
Level Contributor
54,105 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a 3 day visit in October. My head is spinning

1) one day for each, Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Animal Kingdom ( hard to leave out Hollywood Studios but if one has to go, I vote for that to be left off the list :)

2) staying at a Disney Resort will give you several extra parks, which will come in handy for such a short trip, especially without a car. The free and easy transport to all the Parks as well as from and back to the Airport are just the beginning. Extra Magic Hours are also included, they will come in handy to get the most out of your days and or nights. I would suggest 2 rooms at Coronado Springs, a moderate with a "Deluxe Adult" feel

www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2568966

3) book direct with Disney or an official Disney Travel Agent such as AAA, if a member or www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com

That way when the Fall Room discounts are announced, you can Modify your reservation to include them. Booking a Disney Holiday is different than just booking a hotel, I do not Recomend third party budget websites or airlines

Boxborough...
Level Contributor
1,890 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a 3 day visit in October. My head is spinning

Start your research at allears.net for lots of in formation on Disney. Your head will really be spinning. At least for a while.

For parks, the two best are the Magic Kingdom and Epcot. I'm 57 and the MK is still my favorite. It lets me unleash the inner child. Then just choose either Animal Kingdom or Hollywood Studios. A very subjective choice.

Since you won't have a car, then you are probably best staying onsite. Some of the true experts here will have lots to say about what resort will suit your needs.

Seattle
Level Contributor
621 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a 3 day visit in October. My head is spinning

Thank you both for your quick response! I can now breath :-)

I called the # given on www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com for the Sheraton Vistana Villages & by using the discount code given I'm able to get a 2 bedrooms Villa for $135/night + tx. The reviews seem good on TA & that seems a really good price. Do you think this is a good enough location for our situation?

The Coronado seems nice too but we would have to get 2 separate rooms & it seems so much more expensive that way. Am I missing something?

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,015 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a 3 day visit in October. My head is spinning

We're staying at SVV in September but won't be spending much (if any) time in the parks. If you'll be flying in you'll need to factor on the cost of airport transfers or, if you'll be renting a car, the expenses of that, including the $14/day parking fee at the theme parks. If we were planning such a short and Disney-centric trip I would try my best to stay onsite. It will just make things so much easier.

We go every year in October and there have always been discounts on the Disney Resorts. I don't think they've been announced yet this year for October.

Make sure, no matter where you stay, make sure to hit the Food and Wine Festival at Epcot. Even my Disney hating hubby enjoys it :-)

Proctor, Minnesota
Level Contributor
290 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a 3 day visit in October. My head is spinning

1. The parks are going to depend on personal preference. For me and my wife (we're in our early 40's), we'd go with Magic Kingdom, Epcot, and we love Hollywood Studios. Be sure to check out Downtown Disney and the boardwalk at the Epcot resort area if you have time in the evenings.

2. I'd suggest staying at a Disney Resort without a car. The bus transport to and from the airport is great, as well as the transportation system within Disney. If you get 2 rooms at a Disney resort, ask for rooms next to each other, or adjoining rooms, if possible. We did this in December at Pop Century, and were able to open the doors in between, which made it great for planning and hanging out.

3. Sign up at different places for deals to be emailed to you, and look into getting a Disney Visa card. We have emails coming weekly from different places with deals. Our favorite is the free meal plan, which we've now been able to use on two separate trips!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a 3 day visit in October. My head is spinning

Magic Kingdom and Epcot for sure. The on day 3, decide if you want to re-visit on of those parks. If not, Animal Kingdom has my vote

I'm another for staying on site because:

-Short trip, so this will help make the most of your time

-Free transportation to and from the airport and to and from the parks, if you are not renting a car, this would be a huge benefit to you

-Access to EMH at the parks, and with only a few days, you may want to take advantage

Disney is more expensive yes, but the convenience is why we stay there. Keep your eyes peeled for the fall discounts to be released which may help bring the price of Coronado back in line.

Fort Worth
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning a 3 day visit in October. My head is spinning

EMH=Extra Magic Hours, where Disney parks open early and stay open late, just for Disney resort guests. They are magical!

pa
Level Contributor
54,105 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning a 3 day visit in October. My head is spinning

Disney Resorts don't have to be more expensive, add up the additional transportation charges from and back to the Airport & the Parks, Hotel Fees, taxes and possible Parking Charges, then compare. The price for Disney Resorts already includes all of that, no extra charges. Two rooms will give you all your own space

The Room Discounts for October should be 20% - 25% off at the Moderate Resorts. There may also be free dining, which would save 4 Adults over $200 a night, a very good deal that will allow you to eat very well for free :)

Carmel, Indiana
Level Contributor
471 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning a 3 day visit in October. My head is spinning

I have been 3 times and my choices are : Magic Kingdom, Epcot (you HAVE to do Soarin) and Animal Kingdom. Honestly, there are only a few things I like to do at Hollywood Studios and so many more at the other places.

Tellico Plains...
Level Contributor
635 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning a 3 day visit in October. My head is spinning

I think without a doubt you should stay at Disney World Resort. The off site resort often charges for parking at their resort you will also pay to park at Disney unless you take a bus in that will have very limiting pickup times. If you are not renting a car you will be paying taxi fare everywhere you go. The offsite resort may also charge a waterpark fee even if you are not planning on being at the pool. They will sometimes nickol and dime you to death.

Disney will provide bus transportation on a regular basis hours before the park opens and hours after the park closes. They have no hidden fee and you can charge things to your room as well as have things sent back to your resort free of charge. So the thing you just had to have at 9:00am will not have gotten beat and banged up by lunch. You can also add tips, drinks to room so that you do not need to carry cash around or pull out your credit card every time.

The fall discounts are not out yet but they will be sometime by the end of summer.

Also while staying at Disney they are more than happy to help with Birthday Celebrations. Let them know when making the dining reservation and they will make it special.