We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas 2014

newcastle
Level Contributor
3,030 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas 2014

We were supposed to be returning to Florida may 2014 however due to a planned but somehow still unexpected 3rd baby (due nov 2013) this has now been pushed back to may/aug 2015. Distraught at so long without Florida I have been reading trip reports and just read a Christmas one which has brought back my longing to have a Christmas trip.

Have found a fairly decent price, I think for 1 week flying out on 27th dec 2014 and returning on 3rd jan 2015 staying at embassy suites at lake buena vista. (£3,500 for 2 adults 2 children and 1 infant, does that sound ok?) the baby at that point will be 14 months which doesn't sound too horrific for the flight.

My questions are, I know it will be busy that week but will we have missed all the festivities such as MVMCP (have done MNSSHP so did fancy trying the Christmas) or will there still be a lot on. Really want kids to see the Christmas decorations but what else is on. Will it be too busy to enjoy especially for a little one. Do you need special tickets for New Year's Eve or does it just get too mobbed?

If we are returning within the year would we be better with annual passes rather than the uk ultimate tickets twice. It does seem a jump for the annual passes once you want to add the water parks on ( we obviously wouldn't want those at Christmas but may well in the summer)

Also anyone stayed at the embassy suites lake buena vista before? Are there restaurants nearby and can you walk to DTD? Booking that works out £1000 cheaper than flights only with virgin, going off this years prices.

Any advice, even if don't do it!!!

Level Contributor
328 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas 2014

Can't offer any advice about Christmas although the idea of being in Orlando sounds lovely. Congrats on your baby news!!!

Playa Flamenca...
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas 2014

We went from 22 Dec to 4th Jan back in 2010/2011 and the crowds increased the week between Christmas and new year. We missed out on going to MVMCP as it has finished by the time we arrived bout all the parks keep the decorations up into the first week of Jan.

The year we went the weather was very cold and one morning we had to scrape the car windows, something we hadn't done since moving from the U.K. also it was too cold for waterparks and although the pool at the Hard Rock was heated the kids were freezing once they got out. Not every December is as cold as the one we had but it does take until the mid morning/ afternoon to warm up and its best to layer your clothes so you can take stuff of as it warms up.

It was nice to see Orlando and the parks at Christmas but I much prefer the warmer summer weather and using the waterparks.

newcastle
Level Contributor
3,030 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas 2014

Thanks prinxessrach.

Not sure I like the idea of December weather being that cold sunlover!. How did you find the crowds? One thing that does worry me is that I don't like to spend all day and night in the park and I know sometimes they reach capacity so the thought of having to stay there all day to be able to see the fireworks isn't good. Did you find anything special on New Year's Eve?

Playa Flamenca...
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas 2014

We did MK and the Universal parks (front of line pass) before Christmas and on Christmas day after lunch at city walk we went in to just watch the Maceys parade and it was heaving. We went to the sales on the 26th and the parks we went to during the week we made sure we got there for rope drop and left when it started to get to busy, don't forget that the parks close early as its dark by 6.30pm. We didn't go the parks on NYE but went for a meal and then to Celebration Town but ended up not stopping for the fireworks (we have them every festival day the Spanish love fireworks) it was also dark and cold.

Having moved from Newcastle I don't do cold anymore I think that's why I prefer the summer in Orlando to the winter they are two different holidays IMHO. You might enjoy it more with younger children as mine are teenagers and at the time they were 15y and 13y.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
977 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas 2014

If you are really longing to go at Christmas, the decorations will still be up for that week, New Years Eve the parks always reach capacity and close for a certain amount of hours and then re-open.

newcastle
Level Contributor
3,030 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas 2014

Thank you all. If they close and then reopen would it be possible to go early morning leave and then go back in for fireworks?

Is it always cold or is it possible to swim?

Have priced disney hotels but looking at good bit more for that week so don't know if worth it for EMH's.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
977 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas 2014

There is no telling when the parks will reach capacity New Years Eve and close for a few hours. We went New Years Eve one year at 4:00pm and were able to get in, they had just re-opened.

It usually is too cold for swimming outside.

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
19,514 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas 2014

Can you go early December? Less crowds, all the Christmas stuff will be up and running :)

newcastle
Level Contributor
3,030 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas 2014

We thought about late November or December as its my DH b'day but it does mean taking kids out of school and extra holidays. If we went over DH g'day we would be flying out on 29th November so I don't know if crowds would be as bad as think that's around thanksgiving.

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
19,514 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas 2014

Thanksgiving is the 27th next year, so crowds should be gone by the 30th. So first week of December would work and crowds won't be bad at all. Think about it :)