We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September/October travel with 2 kids

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
159 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
September/October travel with 2 kids

My husband and I would like to take our 2 children (both under 6 years) to Florida for a week to ten days during the end of September, first of October. The flight is going to cost us approximately $2000, so I'd like to cut down on the hotel costs, if at all possible.

We really only plan on staying in Orlando for 2 nights as we only want to go to Magic Kingdom, so our daughter can say she did it. Personally, I think our kids, especially our youngest, wouldn't get too much in terms of "memories" from it, so we'll do it again for a longer stay in another few years. I don't mind paying the cost of the park for 1 day.

We also want to go visit Seaworld for a day.

My questions are:

(1) Is there any particular day of the week that would be better to visit Magic Kingdom?

(2) What hotel would you recommend for those 2 days? I'm okay with a Holiday Inn, Ramada style hotel, but nothing dirty, in a bad neighborhood, etc (breakfast preferably included).

(3) Are the dining options worth it at the Disney resort? Is ti worth it to stay there?

(4) Would you do a Breakfast with the princesses?

(5) Where would you spend the remainder of your vacation (I don't want to hotel hop more than I have to) with kids and why would you choose this particular place (We will have a vehicle but I don't want to travel more than 2 hours)?

Thanks soooooo much!!

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: September/October travel with 2 kids

1. You can look online for crowd calendars where they estimate the crowds for you. There are some free ones and a bit of research should give you the information you are looking for. Use the search function in the forum.

2. If you want to be in the middle of the two parks for a few days then International Drive is where you could look but you could go to Lake Buena Vista or near Seaworld if you get better offers and travel to the other area. Do a search and list a few hotels you find within your budget and you will get more help. Just asking someone to suggest your hotel sometimes gets a lower level of response.

3. No idea. Dont stay at Disney very often. If you are only going for a short stay then I am not sure if you can have the dining plan but I may be wrong.

4. As I have sons, not relevant to our family but I am sure any small girl would be happy with this but if you are on a budget you may want to skip this.

5. Personally I would head for the gulf coast - Clearwater Beach, Anna Maria Island or Sarasota (Siesta Key). You will be able to rent a condo or villa for your family. Lovely beaches on the gulf coast. Clearwater has more family orientated things if you like activities than Anna Maria but if the girls just want to play in the sand and you want quiet, AMI is the place to be.

Have fun. October is my favourite month to visit Florida.

Mechanicsville...
Level Contributor
223 posts
361 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: September/October travel with 2 kids

October is a great time to visit WDW or central FL. I am a Disney Vacation Club (DVC) Member and I have lots of family in the Orlando area, as does my wife, so I go to the Orlando area a lot. To answer your questions:

1. Tuesdays, Wednesdays, or Thursdays are usually less crowded than other days of the week unless it’s a holiday, spring break or Christmas/New Years. Go to the parks as early as you can as the crowds don’t get bad up until around noon.

2. The new Art of Animation Resort is amazing – little kids will go nuts over the Disney characters painted and sculpted all over the resort. It’s a “Value” resort so the price runs about $100 - $135 per night. Maybe even cheaper for Sept/Oct.

3. There are some great restaurants at some of the WDW resorts. For kid’s the ages you have, I’d go to the Whispering Canyon at the Wilderness Lodge. It’s a fun experience and the food is very good. Look at www.allears.net – in their rate and review section to see what others think of WDW food.

4. If your daughters are really into Disney Princesses, do the breakfast; if they are not, skip it. It takes a lot of time, and the Princesses don’t spend much time with the kids.

5. Someone else mentioned the Gulf Coast – I second that. The water is warmer and much calmer than the Atlantic Ocean. The Tampa/St.Pete area is great, as is Sanabel. Both are great beaches. Tampa has more to do for young kids.

Sea World is a great place – my kids loved it when they were under 10.

Good Luck.

pa
Level Contributor
53,895 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: September/October travel with 2 kids

If you can go in September, Disney Resorts are offering Free Dining, a great reason to stay at a Disney Resort but staying at the Disney Resorts are well worth it, even without all the Yummy Free Food. In addition to the Perk of the Free Dining Plan offer, you would be able to take advantage of Extra Magic Hours, free transport to the Magic Kingdom ( even from and back to the Airport ( MCO) and all the Lovely resort amenities. All the Disney Resorts are clean and comfy. There is plenty to enjoy for all of you at all 4 Disney Parks, if you change your mind about only going to Magic Kingdom :)

4. Re: September/October travel with 2 kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2014, 05:17