We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shorts at fancier restaurants?

Springfield...
Level Contributor
348 posts
180 reviews
Save Topic
Shorts at fancier restaurants?

Under two weeks until the entire family is off for a week of Disney. Thinking about packing and wondering this: on the nights that we have the fancier restaurants like Le Cellier, Brown Derby etc and we are at the park already in our shorts will we feel out of place? Conversely, on the nights we do dress up in the longer dress and the Khakis will we feel overdressed? Just want to be sure we don't feel out of place.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,523 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shorts at fancier restaurants?

Good shorts with a collared or Aloha shirt for men is O.K. I would not wear T-shirts or wifebeaters. If by " longer dress" you mean long dresses, then I would say that you are overdressed. Khakis are fine. Deference is given to the heat, but some people take liberties and wear normal park attire and my opinionated opinion is that this is not sufficient for the better restaurants.

Edited: 24 May 2013, 20:34
Fort Worth
Level Contributor
11,534 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shorts at fancier restaurants?

For the signature restaurants we prefer long pants for the gentlemen and nice pants or dresses for the ladies. Maxi dresses are the current trend, and you will see plenty of them in the restaurants and the parks. You will not be "overdressed". We always return to our resort in the afternoon, so we are showered and changed for a lovely dinner.

Having said this, the official dress code does allow shorts and you will see everything. Wear what you are comfortable wearing.

Enjoy!

Springfield...
Level Contributor
348 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shorts at fancier restaurants?

Thanks, I want to wear my new maxis for the signature restaurants even if I have to go back and change and was trying to get the scoop for my sons and families too....I think if nice shorts they will be ok it sounds like if they don't want to drag kids back and forth. But for the special ones I am going to take a couple of dresses....sounds like no strictly enforced dress code as there is on some cruise lines...Much appreciated!

Fort Worth
Level Contributor
11,534 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Shorts at fancier restaurants?

Your post made me realize that I had not looked at the Disney "dress code" in a while. I was surprised to find that the "in-park" signature restaurants no longer mention a dress code; Hollywood Brown Derby, Le Cellier and Chef Paul.

Outside of the parks, the dress code is posted on the Disney site as follows:

"At this signature dining experience, Guests are asked to adhere to the dress code.

Men may wear khakis, slacks, jeans, or dress shorts and collared shirts. Sport coats are optional.

Women may wear Capri pants, skirts, dresses, jeans or dress shorts.

Not permitted in the dining room are tank tops, swimsuits, swimsuit cover-ups, hats for gentlemen, cut-offs, torn clothing and shirts with offensive language or graphics."

Enjoy wearing your new dresses and dining at two of our favorites; Brown Derby & Le Cellier!

Edited: 25 May 2013, 01:08
Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
10,931 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shorts at fancier restaurants?

I always wear "smarter" shorts & collared shirts, same for my DS......

DW wears "summer dress" similar for DD.......

People sat at next table T Shirts (with logo's) "scruffy shorts" (as if ready for water rides in parks))))))))) kids ready for parks........etc, etc.

Not really Signature Dining clothing & it's getting worse:-(:-(:-(:-(

If they are going to have Dress Codes, they should at least in force it.........

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,523 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shorts at fancier restaurants?

"If they are going to have Dress Codes, they should at least in force it........."

My observation, over the years, is that Disney is very reluctant to risk offending people.Same thing with the groups from a certain South American country that routinely cut in lines. No enforcement.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
20,741 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shorts at fancier restaurants?

Its a personal choice. We would not dress that way in a signature restaurant like the Brown Derby-the ladies wear cotton dresses,the men khakis or nice jeans and a polo or collared shirt. lots of people do wear shorts,even halter tops . I live in a big city and we don't walk around that way here and i would not feel comfortable nor would my husband in shorts....we wear casual but appropriate clothing at restaurants

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,037 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Shorts at fancier restaurants?

We usually dress up a little for the Signatures but DH has worn shorts to the Brown Derby on more than one occasion and he's never been the only one there in "park" attire. It feels different from, say, Narcoossee's, Artist Point or Yachtsman. We dress up more (aka DH puts on long pants) for those.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,157 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shorts at fancier restaurants?

We like to travel and dine. We are all about respecting a dress code. However, at Disney we have found ourselves in a bit tougher situation. You spend the day at the parks, and its not always so easy to get back to your hotel to change and go back out. We feel we dress fairly respectable in the first place, and we always ask when we arrive at the restaurant if we are acceptable.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
20,741 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shorts at fancier restaurants?

Its very easy to have nicer clothes in the car or in a locker and change before you go to dinner. We sometimes do not go back to the hotel to freshen up but after a sweaty park day,we find it simple to change