We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Price rise or just a bad time to book?

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
3,631 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Price rise or just a bad time to book?

So we've decided to go back to Disney next year, and take our (will be) nearly 2yr old! yay!

Ive been looking at prices all day and they just seem so high.

In september 2010 we paid £2600 for both of us to stay at old key west with the dining plan with Virgin, including Disney tickets.

Now im getting quotes with everyone to go in September, starting at £2890 just to stay in the Art of Animation, with no dining plan. And if I look at a moderate resort its nearly £4k including just a quick service dining plan.

Has everything shot up in price or should i just wait until later in the year to book?

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,682 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Price rise or just a bad time to book?

Well, things have become more expensive, to be sure. Whether prices will come down or not remains to be seen. I encourage you to do more research and see what you can find. You are still 15-16 months out, so you can wait - some.

However, I think you might want to get your Disney tickets ASAP. Universal just announced a price hike, so I expect the others will do so ANY DAY. They always do.

Edited: 25 May 2013, 21:41
pa
Level Contributor
54,311 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Price rise or just a bad time to book?

What's the exchange rate at the moment ?

I would caution you about buying Dosney tickets separately. If you hope to book a Disney Resort "package" with Any Dining Plan, you need to include your tickets with it

Edited: 25 May 2013, 21:45
Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
3,631 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Price rise or just a bad time to book?

Yes, il have to wait for tickets I'm afraid as we will most likely be booking a package. Although it did work out a little bit cheaper booking through disney and then booking my flights separately. Hubby's got a lot of air miles as he's been going back and forward to Australia so that might help get us one or two free seats, but we'd have to go with BA who I can't stand :/

Ventnor City, New...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando
Level Contributor
4,323 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Price rise or just a bad time to book?

If anything got more expensive, it was NOT on Disney's end. Disney announces its resort prices and package prices for the calendar year and then does not raise those prices. Each day or each week may be different from the one before, but the prices a all published in advance and don't change.

So it must be the airfare or the travel agency fees or the exchange rate.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Price rise or just a bad time to book?

I am guessing it is the exchange rate. As Europe is an economic disaster compared to the US, the dollar has gained a lot in the past few months against most other currencies. People who live in the US don't know how fortunate they are to not have to worry about currency fluctuations when going to WDW.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Price rise or just a bad time to book?

Was it after 2010 that the air duty went up for long haul? On our invoice from Virgin, the value of each flight was less than £200, with £330 being tax / duty etc!

wigan UK
Level Contributor
873 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Price rise or just a bad time to book?

we booked april 2011 for sept 2012. Stayed at POFQ 2 adults 1 infant, car hire, flights and tickets as well came to £3600. we also got the dining plan free when we booked. That was by far the cheapest I could find at the time. Been doing dummy bookings for next year to compare prices and they have definitely gone up!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Price rise or just a bad time to book?

I booked in 2011 for July 2011 POR with virgin flights from Manchester, dining plan and tickets for 3 adults and 1 child with a very good deal of £5100, same holiday now is coming out at £7500! I think it's Virgin who have hiked the prices up. Do shop around as Vurgin themselves have quoted me £10k for same holiday. There's no way I'm paying over £7k, we holiday in Disney every couple of years but I might be looking elsewhere now like Dubai or Abu Dhabi as they have the theme parks and the luxury.

Please make it affordable to the British Disney/Virgin, surely like any business you need your regulars returning not just once in a lifetime holidaymakers or Americans who can drive there or who get cheap internal flights! Even other airlines don't reduce the cost that much!

Edited: 10 October 2013, 01:00
pa
Level Contributor
54,311 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Price rise or just a bad time to book?

CA028, was that new quote for the Current UK Free Dining Offer for 2014 ?

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,698 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Price rise or just a bad time to book?

Orlando evidently remains a cheap place to rent a car, but the hotels and theme parks had a very good summer, so you can expect fewer deals and overall higher prices.