We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disney Dolphin and Swan vs Beach and Yacht Club Resort

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Disney Dolphin and Swan vs Beach and Yacht Club Resort

We are going to Disney for 7 nights from 27th December 2013 with our two girls who will be aged 5 & 3. We have booked into the Dolphin but after reading some pretty rubbish reviews on here, I'm worried we've made the wrong decision. Just wondering if anyone has stayed there with young children and whether it is as bad as the reviews make out.

Would we be better paying the extra and staying in the Beach & Yacht Club? Or is there another hotel that we should be considering that would be better suited to a 5 & 3 year old.

Probably going too have lots more Disney related questions soon but want to make sure we get the right accommodation sorted first.

Thanks

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,754 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disney Dolphin and Swan vs Beach and Yacht Club Resort

The Swan & Dolphin are nice but are more convention hotels there are definitely better hotels for kids. Will you have a car? If yes then be aware the Swan & Dolphin charge for parking, if no then you will have to pay to get to & from the airport. If you are at an actual Disney resort you will be eligible for the Magical Express service to & from Orlando International airport.

Personally I would change to a Disney resort. Any Disney resort will be great for kids your ages. The moderates are lovely for kids, POR & POFQ are very popular with young families.

pa
Level Contributor
53,725 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Disney Dolphin and Swan vs Beach and Yacht Club Resort

Well, the Dolphin and the Swan are nice enough but they are just hotels, they are not Disney Resorts, therefore you don't get all the Disney Perks. The Beach and Yacht Clubs are very nice but not our first choice with young children for several reasons. The quick service dining options are very limited, the Pool is massive and we find it not very relaxing, need to watch the kids every second, not that you don't always need to be watching them but it feels a bit more Intense there. The ride to the Magic Kingdom is one of the longest from there

OK, the Resort I would highly Recomend checking out

Wilderness Lodge, very relaxing, a quick boat ride to Magic Kingdom, amazingly beautiful, especially at Christmas Time, good dining options, peaceful Beach and always less $ than the other Deluxe Resorts :)

www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2969675

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
3,615 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disney Dolphin and Swan vs Beach and Yacht Club Resort

Having children I would of thought you'd of already looked into the other disney property's. there's animal kingdom lodge and wilderness, which are both very nice, but with children that age they would probably prefer art of animation, although it may not be what you would like.

You would also get free dining for your stay if you swapped to one of the better disney hotels :)

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
9,816 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disney Dolphin and Swan vs Beach and Yacht Club Resort

I would go for Y&B Resort.......

Great for Epcot 5/10 minutes away, Hollywood Studios 20 minute stroll, or boat, Boardwalk, 5/10 minute stroll:-):-):-)

Best pool area at any Disney Hotel........

We've been loads of times with our twins, starting when they were 11 months old.......

Never a concern for us regarding the size of the pool area. Sand bottom pool, zero entry, onto a sand "beach" for the kids, in one area. Swimming area, tubes for hire, to float round on, just a fantastic area.........

Remember there are "plenty" of lifeguards on duty......

As for the lack of quick service....... Boardwalk is a short stroll away & The Boardwalk Bakery has just been refurbished......:-):-):-)

It's a lovely area to holiday in:-):-):-)

Wilderness Lodge is great as well as its perfectly placed for MK, remember though it's not on the monorail loop...... So a "little" more restrictive......

So I would say there's more to walk to (or short boat hop) from Y&B area:-):-):-)

Whichever you choose, there all great resorts........

Fort Worth
Level Contributor
11,167 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Disney Dolphin and Swan vs Beach and Yacht Club Resort

Would select a Disney resort, for all of the reasons mentioned. If you can add "free dining" that's even better. With the ages of your children, I would want to be in the Magic Kingdom area. Polynesian would be my first choice; Wilderness Lodge next. For a moderate resort, Port Orleans Riverside.

Happy planning!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,825 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disney Dolphin and Swan vs Beach and Yacht Club Resort

I actually like the Swan and Dolphin, and even with t he parking charge are cheaper than the equiv Disney hotels. And they have some fab restaurants.

But I have stayed at Beach club, and the pool area is pretty fab. Terrible counter service options though.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
14,987 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Disney Dolphin and Swan vs Beach and Yacht Club Resort

I realize the Y & B are Deluxes (and would choose either over the S&D) but with kids the ages of yours I would consider a Family Suite at Art of Animation-GREAT pool for little ones and over the top theming.

http://allears.net/acc/faq_artan.htm

Edited: 28 May 2013, 14:33
Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
14,987 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Disney Dolphin and Swan vs Beach and Yacht Club Resort

Oh, and at AoA Mom and Dad get their very own bedroom with a door ;-)

Denmark
Level Contributor
12,304 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disney Dolphin and Swan vs Beach and Yacht Club Resort

We did the Dolphin with small kids back then they where 3,5 and 11 and we liked it very much the swimming pools there are great and they do have stuf for kids to do every day , but then again I am a huge fan of staying onsite too lol , I have a review up about Dolphin if You look at that one its a good one ;-) but there has been some years since 2008 , but we always go to eat there when we are in Disney

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Disney Dolphin and Swan vs Beach and Yacht Club Resort

I have normally stayed at the Beach Club instead of the Swan (we have stayed at the BC 6 times, and only two times at the Swan), but was disappointed in the Beach Club last year, as the housekeeping never seemed to get the room clean, and requests to have things fixed in the room never got resolved on the first try. My wife's parents stay at the Swan all of the time, and my wife says that on the next trip we will go back to the Swan and that is fine with me.