We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any Aussies Compare Discovery Cove + SW to The Gold Coast SW

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
233 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Any Aussies Compare Discovery Cove + SW to The Gold Coast SW

Hi,

Can any Aussies or travelers to Oz compare Discovery Cove and Seaworld Orlando to the Seaworld park on the Gold Coast, Queensland?

Other than the whales at Orlando Seaworld are there any differences?

Not sure whether we should spend the dollars to go to Discovery Cove if it's much the same.

Thanks

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
39,407 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any Aussies Compare Discovery Cove + SW to The Gold Coast SW

Well, I can't compare, but I can say you won't find too many who regret a trip to Discovery Cove and all it comes with, especially for the dolphin swim.

Are you talking about the show with the killer whales (Shamu)?

sydney
Level Contributor
762 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any Aussies Compare Discovery Cove + SW to The Gold Coast SW

I have been to SeaWorld Gold Coast & Sea World San Diego.

My opinion is if you have seen one, why go again, though must admit the Americans do everything bigger & better & probably put SW GC to shame, we saw the killer whale in San Diego.

I wont be going to any water parks or Sea World when we are in Orlando in Sept for 13 days, in my opinion too much else to see, that is way better than what we have at home.

You are in Brisbane , so you can head off to Wet n Wild anytime, do stuff you cant do at home.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
233 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any Aussies Compare Discovery Cove + SW to The Gold Coast SW

Hi Thanks for your replies.

We have been to Seaworld Gold Coast many times and you can swim with the dolphins there.

I was wondering if it was worth going and seeing the whale show and Antarctica at present I'm thinking us a 14 day drip with 4 days Disney, 2 days Universal, KSC, Aquatica, Wet n Wild, Seaworld, a shopping day, and one day to return to our fave park.

sydney
Level Contributor
762 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any Aussies Compare Discovery Cove + SW to The Gold Coast SW

We have 13 days djsgc and are doing 2 days Mk, 1 day AK, 1 day Epcot, 1 day HS, 2 days Universal, also Kennedy & Airboat , 1 day going to outlets,

We also want to go to Downtown Disney & The Boardwalk, 1 day to do nothing .

It seems like a good plan , but I know when we get there, things will change.

I find in the states , everything takes a while to get to and from.

When are you going??

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
233 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any Aussies Compare Discovery Cove + SW to The Gold Coast SW

I will be going with my 4 kids 17,14,12,10 so I'm looking for a time with cheaps flights as that will be our major cost and don't want to go in a peak period or when it's too cold. As far as I can work out it seems booking a year ahead is the best time to book and then I'll snap up cheap flights when they're available, so thinking mid October 2014

newcastle
Level Contributor
383 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Any Aussies Compare Discovery Cove + SW to The Gold Coast SW

We are hoping to go Sept/Oct next year. We are going to skip Sea World as we went to Sea World in San Diego. Also been to Gold Coast. Apart from the whales, I actually think our Sea World is nicer - that's in comparison to San Diego.

We are just planning on doing MK, AK, HS, Epcot, a water park, Universal, IOA and Space Center. Then have a stop over in Hawaii on the way home.

Now to win the lotto ...

Bermagui, Australia
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any Aussies Compare Discovery Cove + SW to The Gold Coast SW

You can't compare any of the pathetic Australian parks to the USA ones. Once you go to the parks in the USA you will realise how pitiful ours are here. Go and enjoy the parks you will love them.

Bermagui, Australia
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any Aussies Compare Discovery Cove + SW to The Gold Coast SW

Oh and to add seaworld in Orlando is far superior to the San Diego park

sydney
Level Contributor
762 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any Aussies Compare Discovery Cove + SW to The Gold Coast SW

I booked out flights in Feb this year to travel Sept this year, I kept an eye our for specials. V Australia usually have cheap ones at this time to Los Angeles.

I got V Australia to L.A return and it is all on a Delta ticket, so we got Sydney to LAX to New York to Orlando to LAX to Sydney with stop overs in all the above, actually staying twice in L,A to break up the 14hr flight.

I got these for $1,453 each adult, my kids are over 12, so they are adults.

As this is all on a Delta ticket even though we flying V Australia ( Delta in states) it includes baggage, so don't have to pay for that in states. You need to watch that if you book separate you will have to pay for baggage.

All in all I am happy with that price.

Also we are going a week a half before Sept school holidays start & come back 2nd last day of holidays.

Oh, another thing, we got the Disney Dining plan for FREE as they usually have it every year in Sept, something to consider, if they continue the trend.

I have been told on here, Sept is fairly quite time as US schools have gone back, fingers crossed.

It is a lot of planning, but I think it will be worth it in the end.

Good Luck with it all.

sydney
Level Contributor
762 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any Aussies Compare Discovery Cove + SW to The Gold Coast SW

I agree with Galaga girl, your kids wont want to go back to the theme parks at the Gold Coast after going to the ones in the states. IMHO,