We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Special Needs Child - What Attractions To Visit - 3 Days

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wichita,ks
Level Contributor
26 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Special Needs Child - What Attractions To Visit - 3 Days

Hi!

We will be in Orlando for three days beginning of July and then venture on to Daytona Beach. I am trying to figure out what attractions we should visit and which ones to bypass. My daughter is 9 and has Down syndrome, and doesn't like to ride a lot of rides. Any other families with special needs children find some attractions better fit for their children over others? She also loves dinner shows. Any reviews on a great dinner show for kids and adults please send my way. We really appreciate all the help with information and ideas!

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
39,082 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Special Needs Child - What Attractions To Visit - 3 Days

I still maintain Hoop Dee Doo Review at Disney's Ft. Wilderness is the best dinner show in the area, but you may not be able to get a reservation at this late a date for it; it's very popular and books up fast, but give it a try if you like.

What theme parks will you be visiting? Only Disney or others as well?

Wichita,ks
Level Contributor
26 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Special Needs Child - What Attractions To Visit - 3 Days

Thank you for the dinner show info! We are staying right smack in middle of Orlando. We are open to doing any of the parks. I just can't decide which ones we should do and which ones are not worth our time. We are open to doing any of the parks. I just don't want to waste time and money on one that isn't worth it for my daughter.

bristol
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Special Needs Child - What Attractions To Visit - 3 Days

One of my children has autism and social and communication difficulties. He doesn't like rides either. He found Magic Kingdom more suitable because the rides there are more an 'experience' really rather than the thrilling scary rides at Universal. Magic Kingdom is a more gentle pace, we found. He found universal overwhelming and overstimulating.

If you go to guest services, just inside the gate, they will issue you with an exit pass, to avoid queuing if your daughter is unable to queue. You need to provide up to date medical evidence of her condition, if her needs aren't clear to them, but they are extremely kind and helpful.

I found Disney exceedlingly tolerant and helpful of children with special needs, but universal not so much.

edinburgh
Level Contributor
221 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Special Needs Child - What Attractions To Visit - 3 Days

Bri

I think your daughter might like Discovery Cove and swimming with the dolphins.

It's a brilliant experience and a really excellent park with some very highly trained staff who are just brilliant with all the kids. Very safe, good food, great pictures. Great day.

When we visited last year I noticed a variety of people with different disabilities who were all able to enjoy the dolphin swim. I thought the staff had a great deal of class and were very professional.

Hope you have a great time whatever you choose!

edinstu.

Wichita,ks
Level Contributor
26 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Special Needs Child - What Attractions To Visit - 3 Days

Thank you both for the helpful information! It is greatly appreciated. I think we will try out Magic Kingdom and Discovery Cove for sure. I think my daughter will enjoy both.

Thank you edinstu we plan on having a terrific time :-)

Bri

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Special Needs Child - What Attractions To Visit - 3 Days

In all likelihood your daughter would qualify for a Guest Assistance Card at WDW:

…go.com/questions.aspx…

micechat.com/26813-disney-guest-assistance-c…

Kissimmee, Florida
Level Contributor
2,760 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Special Needs Child - What Attractions To Visit - 3 Days

i think she would like animal kingdom park,there is alot to see and they have a wounderfull lion king show.

we have a family members with downs and he realy likes all of the disney parks he don't ride most of the rides,but realy likes the shows in AKP.

hope you have a magical time!!

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
6,402 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Special Needs Child - What Attractions To Visit - 3 Days

Another vote for Animal Kingdom. That park has several shows and also the great walkabouts to see the animals. If she doesn't mind a short train ride there is Conservation Station where she can interact with the animals in a "pettting zoo" type set up.

Disney Hollywood Studios is another "show-centric" park, but many of those shows are loud and feature explosions - not sure if that is something she would not care for.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
19,615 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Special Needs Child - What Attractions To Visit - 3 Days

Animal Kingdom and Seaworld are probably the best choices. MK is very crowded,noisy and can be way too stimulating for anyone. The shows at the AK are terrific and the Safari ride is great for everyone,engaging without being scary. And Seaworld is very well laid out so you can go from show to show and interact with the animals in between. discovery cove is fabulous but very expensive and may offer a lot of perks(like the one week pass to SeaWorld) that you won't use.

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,392 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Special Needs Child - What Attractions To Visit - 3 Days

Sea World has some good shows. Have you checked into LaNouba? Very expensive, but highly rated.