We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
7 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Weather

I was looking at the weather for Orlando this morning, and I just thought I'd share this with everyone that might be visiting Orlando in the next couple of days and doesn't know: there's a "50% chance of tropical cyclone formation and a tropical depression or storm could form before the system moves northeastward over Northern Florida late Thursday or Thursday night." (from http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo/gtwo_atl_sub.shtml?area1#contents) NOAA also says that "locally heavy rains and gusty winds are likely over portions of Central and Western Cuba, the Florida Keys, and the Florida Peninsula" during the next couple of days.

I'm sure everyone (myself included) will have (or try to) a good time nonetheless, but I just wanted to post here so that everyone could get as prepared as they need to be! I suppose if it does rain really hard at the theme parks, crowds will be lighter, which will be nice, and I'm pretty sure that Universal stays open unless there's a lot of lightning.

Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
216 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather

I hope the weather isn't too bad for you.

It's early in the year for big storms/hurricanes..

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,684 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather

"It's early in the year for big storms/hurricanes"

Last year, we had some tropical systems in May.

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
17,287 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather

If there's lightening within a certain distance all outdoor rides will close at all parks.

Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
216 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather

@Vic my mistake about the timing of your weather. I suppose weather patterns/timings are changing everywhere.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,167 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather

It really is very early in the year for hurricanes. We've had modest but wet tropical depressions and storms in late May fairly often.

The National Weather Service is warning of coastal flooding on the Gulf coast, along with high surf, rain, etc. Tomorrow (Thursday) is expected to bring heavy rain, so there's a flood watch.

Usually in such cases, heavy rain is patchy, but it's impossible to tell ahead of time who might get a foot of rain, and who might get only a few drops.

The theme parks seldom shut down; it would take something far nastier than our impending bad weather to force closures. So it might not be a bad idea to get wet. Quick-dry synthetic fabrics (including for underwear!) can be helpful.

Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
187 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather

Unfortunately the heavy rain that's affecting the gulf will be moving towards the Orlando area.

That's according to the weather channel that I've become addicted to since returning from Florida last week! Not talking about showers either!!

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,167 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather

The National Weather Service's Melbourne office is expecting the heaviest rain and wind to pass north of the Orlando area. Tomorrow (Thursday) is expected to bring heavy rain, so Orlando has a flood watch in effect through late Thursday night. After that, things begin returning to normal.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
176 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather

The system is now tropical storm Andrea

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,201 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather

We've had some heavy rain off and on for the past 3 hours at our house. I imagine this will be the case for the next couple days as Andrea moves northeast of us.

10. Re: Weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2014, 05:17