We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Do-able is July?

newcastle
Level Contributor
383 posts
Save Topic
How Do-able is July?

We were originally planning on going Sept/Oct next year for 3 weeks - 2 weeks Orlando, 1 week Hawaii on the way home.

My son is now thinking of going to Uni next year and if we go as planned he will miss about a week of Uni. The other alternative is to go in July when Uni has a 4 week break.

I have heard terrible things about the crowds at this time of the year. Thinking we would stay offsite at Disney for 10 nights, head straight for the big rides and get fastpasses, skip any rides that we aren't particularly interested in. Stay onsite at Universal for 4 nights to make use of their Express Pass and maybe avoid the parks altogether on 4th July.

I know it will be super crowded but is it do-able? The heat won't really bother us as we are used to humid weather in summer and travel regularly to Thailand.

I know it will also cost more - but it costs so much to come from Australia anyway that it probably won't make that much of a difference.

Any tips for making it manageable at this time? Thanks.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,840 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Do-able is July?

Of course July is doable. Just remember one thing.

Summer is the rainy season. Be prepared for afternoon thunderstorms.

Lisburn, N.Ireland
Level Contributor
629 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How Do-able is July?

Get out of bed early & it's not a problem

newcastle
Level Contributor
383 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How Do-able is July?

It's not a problem for us to put in long days at the park. My kids are 19 and 16 so we can get up early and go to bed late.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
143 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How Do-able is July?

We went last July, and as other posters have said if you get there early it's doable. We are going back this year in June/July with our 6 year old and just plan to be at parks for rope drop.

Swansea, Wales...
Level Contributor
95 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How Do-able is July?

I had a very long break in uni - end of May through to the end of September. Are you sure he hasn't got more than just 4 weeks in July?

newcastle
Level Contributor
383 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How Do-able is July?

Only 4 weeks then. Uni breaks for 3 months over xmas in australia.

Halifax
Level Contributor
764 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How Do-able is July?

We always go in July or August, as per above you need to get up early and use fast pass at disney

If going to universal consider a night onsite for 2 days of express pass

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,062 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How Do-able is July?

July is LESS doable but still doable.

It is a crowded period (esp the first week around the 4th), unlike your previous choice. If you went in July you'd have to deal with more crowds so getting up early each day would be Vital.

I might be inclined to move your Sept/Oct trip one week so he can get to Uni on time. First week of Uni is golden, and he doesn't want to miss it.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,734 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How Do-able is July?

The July weather is somewhat like summer in Cairns. For some reason, the theme parks attract plenty of customers that time of year. I'd maximize time spent in Hawaii (which is even more expensive, alas).

newcastle
Level Contributor
383 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How Do-able is July?

If we go in sept/oct he would definately miss a week of uni as uni break is only 2 weeks then and we would be away for 3 weeks so moving it a week isn't really an option.

Unfortunately we are left with the choice of going sept/oct and he miss a week, or going in july and he not miss any.