We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overwhelmed... is there a link for dummies?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
286 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Overwhelmed... is there a link for dummies?

I live in australia and have never been to Disneyworld or Disneyland. We are coming over and have between 3-6 days to spend at Disney World. I started reading and became overwhelmed with all the info. I didn't even realise how big Disney world is and whether we could do everything in the time we have. We are taking out 7 year old and would welcome any tops or must dos for this age group. Are there any good links to begin with or a Disneyworld for dummies guide? :)

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
382 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overwhelmed... is there a link for dummies?

The Unofficial Guide to Disneyworld has an edition for families with young children. But, for specific questions and information this forum is probably the best source of info that you are likely to find. Chances are that any questions that you have were already asked here many times over, just do a search.

edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,850 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overwhelmed... is there a link for dummies?

I wouldn't worry about what you will miss, just enjoy the bits you manage to do.

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,995 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overwhelmed... is there a link for dummies?

One day, one park. Do what you can, and enjoy the time that you are there. Disney has four theme parks and a couple of water parks. Universal has two parks, and Sea World has a theme park plus Discovery Cove.

Boxborough...
Level Contributor
1,890 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overwhelmed... is there a link for dummies?

Here's a couple of links:

http://yourfirstvisit.net/

http://allears.net/index.html

Commonly asked questions are at the upper right of this page. The search feature is helpful, but not the best I've seen. Other than that ask away, but please, please don't ask about tipping ;)

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,304 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overwhelmed... is there a link for dummies?

This link may help get you started. http://www.floridathoughts.co.uk/

Although it is written for Brits (by a Brit) it has good information for the first time visitor from another country.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overwhelmed... is there a link for dummies?

You should note that there is also an Orlando forum, and that some people spend most of thier time there, while others spend most of their time on this site. If you have any questions that are not WDW in nature (such as Sea World, Universal, etc.), you should post on the Orlando forum to make sure you get as wide a response as possible.

Here is another good link:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
286 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overwhelmed... is there a link for dummies?

Thanks you I will read the suggested links. :)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
286 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overwhelmed... is there a link for dummies?

I just read the weeks to visit rankings and it looks like we have picked a good time to go, 3rd week of Oct 2014. The crowds say low and the hotels say prices are low. What would that mean for the hotels what would we be looking at paying for a hotel per night in the on property hotels in Oct? Rough estimate? Is it much of a saving from peak season. I am not sure if we should stay off site and save some money.

Thanks

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overwhelmed... is there a link for dummies?

Do a dummy booking on the Disney website to see how much it'll cost at the time of year you are going. You are paying for convenience and the Extra Magic Hours, Disney transport etc when staying onsite, you have to weigh up yourself whether you think it is worth the expense or not. We always stay onsite and love it, wouldn't do it any other way.

There are value, moderate, deluxe and Vacation Club Villas onsite prices will vary from around $100 per night to over $500 per night depending on what resort you book.

Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
63 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Overwhelmed... is there a link for dummies?

Hi

I laughed when I saw your post as I was just about to type the same thing. We will be there from 1-10 October and are travelling from mid-north coast of NSW with 2 kids aged 7 & 10. I am feeling completely overwhelmed by all the information. We have booked to stay in an apartment at the Floridays Resort which had really good reviews on this website. We wanted an apartment as it's nicer with the kids and we're meeting family who are travelling from the UK and also staying in an apartment there. Costs were heaps cheaper than staying in a Disney resort and as we also want to go to Universal, we figured that it was just as easy to travel to all the parks from a central point. I hope you have a wonderful trip.