We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

electric vs. gas pool heating in December - does it matter?

d s
London, United...
11 posts
Save Topic
electric vs. gas pool heating in December - does it matter?

we are going to orlando in december. most villas seem to have electric pool heating. I have heard gas can be better - but why? and is it a significant advantage?

Blackwood, United...
Level Contributor
4,940 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: electric vs. gas pool heating in December - does it matter?

If the pool is heated to your liking I would n't imagine it would make any difference if it was gas or electric that done it ! Of course, there may be some experts on here that could give you a more scientific answer :-)

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,942 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: electric vs. gas pool heating in December - does it matter?

It really makes no difference whatsoever -- the water gets heated by being pumped past a heated coil -- it matters not how the coils get heated.

The only possible difference is to whomever is paying the heating bills....but the vast majority of homes in Florida don't *have* gas available (from tank or municipal supply) so it very often isn't even a discussion, as there's no option.

Edited: 27 June 2013, 11:56
Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,420 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: electric vs. gas pool heating in December - does it matter?

Gas would do it more quickly, but is more expensive to operate. Florida doesn't have it's own gas supply it is piped in from other states > gas isn't predominant in residential use. While electric will take longer to heat it's plenty efficient at maintaining a heated temperature considering Florida weather doesn't typically get very cold. It can get cold, and, if it does, you probably aren't going to want to swim heated pool or not.

4. Re: electric vs. gas pool heating in December - does it matter?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 29 January 2014, 01:05
d s
London, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: electric vs. gas pool heating in December - does it matter?

why? i've been told by villa owners that it makes a difference - just cos you dont understand something doesnt make it odd! oddest comment tbh!

6. Re: electric vs. gas pool heating in December - does it matter?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 29 January 2014, 01:05
Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: electric vs. gas pool heating in December - does it matter?

Ok d s enlighten me, or just humour me, why does it make a difference?

Blackwood, United...
Level Contributor
4,940 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: electric vs. gas pool heating in December - does it matter?

d s ......you have been told by villa owners it makes a difference, what kind of difference. Perhaps some villa owners will come on and let us know

Ermington, United...
Level Contributor
575 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: electric vs. gas pool heating in December - does it matter?

Im guessing the difference in how much they charge for pool heat maybe?

Blackwood, United...
Level Contributor
4,940 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: electric vs. gas pool heating in December - does it matter?

As most villa pools will be heated by electric I wouldn't imagine you would see a great deal of difference in the price....but unless the OP comes back on with answer we'll never know :-)