We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a short Disney trip with a cranky kid + whiney Mom

Curacao
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a short Disney trip with a cranky kid + whiney Mom

I'll be visiting Orlando for 6 days at the end of July. Since my 11-yr old son has never visited any of the parks, I'm thinking about taking him for 1 or 2 days to one of the parks.

He gets cranky easily, so I'm planning to go early and leave before it gets too hot. Throw in this mix - my Mom who cannot walk long distances or stand up for long is also coming. For her I'm planning on renting an electric wheelchair.

At this point I'm totally overwhelmed. We don't need to see or do everything. Just some highlights for 2 days. What would you recommend?

We have reservations at Hampton Inn Lake Buena Vista with a rental car as we will be visiting malls, etc.

Do you think it's better (more fun) to stay INSIDE Disney?

Thanks so much for any advice/suggestion you might have!

Curacao
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a short Disney trip with a cranky kid + whiney Mom

Update - we booked the Drury Inn + Suites instead - based on Tripadvisor.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,229 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a short Disney trip with a cranky kid + whiney Mom

Hi there, are you only thinking of visiting one of the parks?

There are so many to choose from: universal parks, Disney parks, Seaworld, Busch Gardens etc

Do you want a park you'll all enjoy or is the visit mainly for your son?

What sort of rides do you like?

Are you thinking of just spending the morning at the park & returning in the evening once it's cooler? Or just morning?

:0)

Curacao
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a short Disney trip with a cranky kid + whiney Mom

Thanks so much.

I am thinking of visiting 2 parks (2 days). No big thrill rides, just family fun without too much scary stuff.

So something the 3 of us will get to enjoy without over-stressing.

Maybe Magic Kingdom and Epcot? Or Epcot and MGM?

Another thing got me thinking - Drury Inn & Suites is literally double the price of Hampton Inn Lake Buena Vista. Is it also twice better? Should we switch and save some money or stay put?

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
972 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a short Disney trip with a cranky kid + whiney Mom

I haven't stayed at those hotels but the Hampton Inn sounds fine and it has a shuttle to the Disney Parks. I would save the money by staying there. The electic wheelchair will be great for your mom and as long as you leave the parks by no later then 2:00 you should miss the hottest part of the day and the rain. You can always return at night after 6:00 when it starts to cool down

As for the parks all of you will enjoy Seaworld and your son will probably enjoy Magic Kingdom the most.

Have a great vacation.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a short Disney trip with a cranky kid + whiney Mom

Love the title of this post! Thanks for the smile :)

Maybe the parks will de-crank-etize him, and he'll be dazzled...!!!???

Have Fun!

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,457 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a short Disney trip with a cranky kid + whiney Mom

Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom will keep you all entertained.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
14,741 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning a short Disney trip with a cranky kid + whiney Mom

You tend to get what you pay for with hotels. We were booked into the Hampton Inn LBV last year (really good price) but when we got to our suite it was really old and tatty and we didn't like the hotel at all. We checked out and stayed somewhere else. It gets rave reviews on TA so maybe we are just too fussy!

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,229 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning a short Disney trip with a cranky kid + whiney Mom

Hi again, sorry I don't know the hotels.

Have you thought about staying a couple of nights at a Disney hotel?

It'd make it really easy for you getting to and from the parks, especially if say you were to go to Magic Kingdom in the morning, leave when it gets too hot/busy & back in the evening for parade/fireworks.

The Disney buses are set up for use with mobility scooters.

As far as parks.. If your son hasn't visited Disney & you don't want thrill rides, l'd say Magic Kingdom was a good park to choose.

Lots of good family rides, nice places to eat, parades and fireworks.

https:/…

I'd have a look at the links before choosing 2nd park.. All of them have got their charms, really depends on what you as a family prefer.

Hope this helps

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,018 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning a short Disney trip with a cranky kid + whiney Mom

I can't comment on the facilities (never stayed at either hotel) but the Drury is really better situated for an Universal trip than a Disney one. There are plenty of choices that will put you a lot closer to Epcot and the Magic Kingdom. If you don't wish to book a Disney resort I would recommend staying in the Lake Buena Vista area.

A Disney resort would give you very reliable transportation to all of the Disney parks and access to Extra Magic hours in the parks. You're going during a very busy (and very HOT) time. It will be easier to head back to the room for a break from an onsite hotel. You could hit your park of choice in the mornings, return for a rest/swim during the hottest part of the day and then head back out in the relatively cooler evening hours.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,563 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning a short Disney trip with a cranky kid + whiney Mom

Given your intent to possibly leave the park by mid-afternoon to provide rest for a "cranky" kid, and the needs of your mother with mobility issues, I would look at staying right in, or very near, Disney. The internal transportation system is very good, and runs frequently all day. If it's a Disney resort, you can also take advantage of EMH, which helps to alleviate the impact of crowds that contribute to crankiness.

Some of the off-site hotel shuttles may be free, but operate on limited schedules. This can limit your ability to go early, come back to the hotel for a nap or swim, and then go back to the park for the evening. You do state that you will have a car, but will find that getting from the parking lot to the park itself, and vice-versa, can take 30-40 minutes (MK is the worst, because of the two-stage transportation caused by the TTC), compared to just jumping on a bus (or monorail or boat) to your Disney resort right outside the park.

Disney also provides free transportation to/from MCO airport if you stay on-site.

If cost is an issue, look at the Disney All-Star resorts, which are "value" based.

As for the scooter, you should consider if you will rent one from the park, which is specific to that one locale, or rent from a company, which allows you to take the scooter all over, including back to the hotel, to the malls, etc.