We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay on Disney or Not .. That is the question!

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Topic
Stay on Disney or Not .. That is the question!

Hi all, me again

We have flights booked to go to Orlando next October 2014 for 16 nights, 2 adults and 3 children ages will be 14, 9 and 5.

Just looking for some advice as not booked accommodation yet and I'm getting stressed as whether or not to stay on International Drive for the full duration probably staying at The Es Sonesta Suites or whether to pay more money and do 7 nights on International Drive then 9 nights at a Disney hotel, either Saratoga Springs or Old Key West.

As there is 5 of us Disney is quite expensive but I can't work out if in the long run it will be a better option, currently with these hotels we would get the DDP free and also we will not be hiring a car so will be wanting to use shuttles/taxis/feet!!

I know it is personal preference but as I have never done Disney or Orlando before I am very very traumatised by it - my OH has left it all to me to sort and says 'he'll go with whatever I decide on'

I have been trawling through Tripadvisor forums, reviews and Allears site and I'm completely overwhelmed (Though also very giddy!!)

Many thanks in advance for an advice received

1. Re: Stay on Disney or Not .. That is the question!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 July 2013, 12:10
Blackwood, United...
Level Contributor
4,901 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay on Disney or Not .. That is the question!

Do NOT listen to the last poster......you DON'T need a travel agent ! Their post advertising themselves will hopefully be removed soon !

Edited: 11 July 2013, 11:27
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
692 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay on Disney or Not .. That is the question!

A split stay, when you don't have a car, is very sensible if you can afford it.

I had considered that until we had to change our plans. Though I would look at how I would do the split (how many days at Disney)

Level Contributor
1,051 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay on Disney or Not .. That is the question!

Hi Kaz - the first time we went 6 years ago, we stayed on I Drive and had the time of our lives! That said, we didn't have a car so we waited around a lot for buses and shuttles or forked out for taxis so we wasted a lot of time and energy. We also felt we had to stay at the parks all day rather than taking a break midday because of the effort involved in going back later but we didn't know any different at that point.

We've been back every year since and discovered the Disney resorts and haven't looked back! Our fav is SAratoga Springs and we have always got it with free dining which makes it very cost effective (for us) because we would be buying the Disney tickets anyway - most of our spends on holiday goes on food so that cost is, in the main, taken away when on the dining plan. I realise its not for everyone though. In addition, staying at a Disney resort is something else, we love the whole experience of it and the buses/boats are so convenient, as are extra magic hours. I think you will love your Orlando holiday no matter where you stay - the key is not to stress about it (my family leave ALL of the booking to me as well so I understand the pressure to 'get it right')! My preference would be to stay at Disney but if we couldn't afford it one year, I would stay on I Drive again because I love Florida in general!!! :)

Manchester
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay on Disney or Not .. That is the question!

Thanks, I'm looking to do all of Disney so would stay there longest doing the 9 nights, though we'd also like to do Discovery Cove, Sea World and Universal hence why the split stay, I noticed Disney do not do transfers to these parks so thought it'd would be more trouble plus the cost of a Disney hotel is quite expensive.

I'm worried about wasting alot of time hanging around for shuttles and thought seeing as we wanted to mainly do Disney that it would be better staying on site though after reading reviews on here I'm not so sure as many people have mentioned that the Disney transportation system isn't regular! So I can't judge whether its cost effective or worth it!

Fch12, thanks, holidays are always left upto me to do but I feel overwhelmed by Florida as it'll be a trip of a lifetime so want to make sure we cover all the parks etc we want to do

!

Mortlake, Australia
Level Contributor
283 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay on Disney or Not .. That is the question!

I made all the decisions for our holiday accommodation too - so stressful! In the end I decided to stay at Disney and I was pleased with the choice. We stayed at Port Orleans Riverside & it was wonderful. Nothing beats Mickey Mouse ears on your shampoo. I just chose the resort that had the best special rates at the time.

pa
Level Contributor
54,023 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay on Disney or Not .. That is the question!

Disney transportation is very "regular", the buses, boats and monorail run continuously for all guests between the Resorts and the Parks

The Free Dining Offer is a very nice deal especially for a family of 5

For a visit to Universal, get the Ticket and transport option, they pick you up at your Disney Resort www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com/universal To visit Seaworld, the Pubic Bus is the easiest choice, it is a short trip www.golynx.com

Saratoga Springs is very nice, all the Disney Resorts are, staying at them can be a Holiday all by itself :)

www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2466719

http://allears.net/acc/faq_ss.htm

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
19,908 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stay on Disney or Not .. That is the question!

The DDP is never "free"-when you select it,you lose your room discount which can be considerable. So run the numbers before you make a choice-Disney is not giving anything away. If you are doing Disney and have no car,then staying at a Disney hotel or a Downtown Disney hotel is a good choice. Disney transportation is mediocre in our considerable experience;the buses come irregularly and are often crowded. The boats are very pleasant and very slow. The monorail is limited to 3 hotels and 2 parks.But if you have no car,well,you can make it work for you.I think a split stay would be a great choice. The ES/sonesta(used to be the STaybridge suites) is a big favorite of ours;clean,spacious,full kitchen,free breakfast. A split stay makes sense;we like OKW very much,its the only DVC we stay at now having experienced the very reduced square footage of some others.I would not recommend 5 people in one hotel room;a little too much togetherness. If Disney resorts will break your budget,there's plenty of nice suite hotels near Disney in LBV

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,306 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stay on Disney or Not .. That is the question!

I would either do a split stay between being on Disney property the first part of the trip and then on property at Universal the second. or stay on property at Disney. Without a car it is the best, easiest way to go.

A Moderate Resort with a Dining Plan can be a cost efficient way to go or even a Value Resort. A Dining Plan gives you a good idea of the total cost since the cost of eating is no longer variable, it is a fixed cost.

If you stay off property at a villa or the like, you have to add in the cost and time of transportation to the theme parks, cost and time of getting to restaurants or a grocery store and the time and requirements to cook meals in.

You mentioned Allears, have you been on the DISboards.com and WDWinfo.com boards? I find those to be the most helpful forums, especially on the minutia of planning.

pa
Level Contributor
54,023 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Stay on Disney or Not .. That is the question!

You can't lose what you never had or what isn't available so to make that comparison is not realistic

The Current UK resident Free Dining Offer is available, it includes an additional discount on the room and a Free Disney Gift Card. It is very nice the Lucky UK folks get this offer

For the rest of us, If there is no current room discount, the Free Dining Plan ( which is indeed free ) is a very nice deal. A family of 5 will be saving almost $300 per night. Even if there is a room discount, you would not be saving $300 a night, at best, assuming you booked SSR, you would save about 30% off the room rate per night which on average for a 2 bed villa ( family of 5 would need that ) is $650 a night, total discount would be $200 a night. Our family has no problem staying in 1 room and more often than not, stay at POR when there are 5 of us. We quite like eachother and it is perfectly normal when on holiday to all stay together. The room is for sleeping and cleaning up. We stay at Disney Resorts to enjoy the "Resort" not the room. We are out and about taking advantage of the amenities, the beautiful grounds and outdoor spaces