We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not-your usual 'Florida in February' question

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
722 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Not-your usual 'Florida in February' question

I know there are half a million topics on weather and crowds in Orlando in February, my question is a bit more unusual!

Can anyone who has been in February give me an idea of what the plant/animal life is like at that time of year? We may be booking a two week break for early next year and we would like to do more of what we did last time, i.e. walking trails, canoeing, etc. in addition to the parks. Is Florida a sort of year-round place for plant life, or would the nature parks look as bare as they do over here in spring? I know spring is manatee season so we are looking forward to seeing them in the wild somewhere, but are there any other animals we may miss out on seeing due to the (relatively) colder temps?

Average temps for Feb seem to be about what we've had here in Dublin for the past couple of weeks so that is more than fine with us! I take it the seafront would be a few degrees cooler though? (One of the parks we want to go to again is Honeymoon Island right on the coast)

Thanks!

Edited: 14 July 2013, 20:24
Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
39,060 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Not-your usual 'Florida in February' question

Well, the further north you go in the state of Florida, the more "deciduous" the trees become and therefore shed their leaves in the winter. The further south you go, you find more "palm" type trees which don't.

Central Florida has a combination of the two, but you won't find oak, hickory, dogwood, or similar trees with leaves on them that time of year. However, palms and pines will still have some foliage for the most part, so you'll have a little of both worlds.

If it turns out to be a warm February, you may find plants beginning to bloom by mid month.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
796 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Not-your usual 'Florida in February' question

Crystal River and Homosassa are the 2 best places to see manatees. You can swim with them in Crystal River.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,669 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Not-your usual 'Florida in February' question

"Can anyone who has been in February give me an idea of what the plant/animal life is like at that time of year?"

" in addition to the parks. Is Florida a sort of year-round place for plant life, or would the nature parks look as bare as they do over here in spring?"

There are some deciduous trees, but many evergreens like pines . You will see some bare trees, but many others that are green. Usually, by Late February-early March, the oaks are beginning to form new leaves so the area will not look too bare. As for animals, all the regulars will still be around plus some migratory birds. There should be no shortage of wildlife.

' I know spring is manatee season"

Actually winter is (or as long as the water temperature in the rivers is below 70º-72ºF), but you should be able to see plenty of them in February at Blue Spring State Park.

Edited: 14 July 2013, 21:07
Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
16,872 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Not-your usual 'Florida in February' question

Close to Orlando I would also pick Blue Spring for manatees at that time of year.

Check our Leu Gardens. It's a lovely way to pass a few hours especially when it's not really hot as in February. There is always something in bloom. They typically wait until after Valentine's Day to prune down the roses - try to get there before then. Nearby in Downtown at Lake Eola you can find a resident swan population. If you've never been to Gatorland give it a go - the impressive breeding marsh is also a natural rookery so a popular place for birdwatchers and photographers

5. Re: Not-your usual 'Florida in February' question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2014, 06:18