We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orlando and beyond

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Papamoa NZ
Level Contributor
66 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Orlando and beyond

We are in Orlando at the end of April 2014. While it appears there is lots to do in Orlando with our year old. We are stuck on where to go from here. Where do the locals fly off and holiday?? We want to go to a really nice, safe resort with a beautiful beach. Any suggestions?? TIA

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orlando and beyond

What, within the US? How far do you want to go? Caribbean? Mexico?

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orlando and beyond

California, Caribbean, Mexico, Brazil, The Worlds your Lobster!!!

Blackwood, United...
Level Contributor
4,900 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orlando and beyond

oyster....Alan !!!!

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Orlando and beyond

This Time next Year Roders!!!

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
3,984 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Orlando and beyond

When we go on vacation we usually head off on a Caribbean cruise. Or, I head up to the New York area for some nice cold weather and maybe a little snow. Snow and cold weather is fun for a week if all you normally get is sunny and 80+ degrees :).

Papamoa NZ
Level Contributor
66 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Orlando and beyond

Beach location not too hard to get too and within 2-3 hours flight distance from Orlando. Looking for snorkling, eating out, stunning scenery some interesting sights to see and great place to R & R with a 5 year old. Cruises are not really our thing but a sort term one could be an option.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Orlando and beyond

Do some research on Caribbean Islands and beaches of Mexico. Find a few places you like the sound of and then start searching / posting questions in the respective destination forums.

Sunrise, Florida
Level Contributor
807 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Orlando and beyond

New Orleans is where we like to go. It's a wonderful city for restaurants and culture. For relaxing and beaches we go to Marco Island, Destin, or the Keys.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,228 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Orlando and beyond

April is high season for the Caribbean. Puerto Rico is part of the US (as a largely self-governing territory), so there aren't problems with immigration and customs. Aguadilla (with an airport) caters to surfers and is a beautiful area.

Closer to Florida, Bahamas and Dominican Republic have nice resorts. Bahamas reefs are low on biological diversity but spectacular anyway. Maybe Abaco?? Mexico's Yucatán resorts may be too popular for their own good--they cater to people who once would have gone to Florida's Daytona Beach (which has faded).

Florida is weak for stunning scenery and snorkeling. The Keys will be very busy.

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
3,984 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Orlando and beyond

I'd probably consider taking a one year old to St. Thomas or the Bahamas (because the Bahamas are so close to Miami). I'd be real leery about taking a kid that young to Mexico, although I have no specific reason why. I don't know enough about the other islands, but would probably lean against them. I suppose you could check out Cuba, although I don't know anything about the place and won't be heading there for the forseeable future.

One thing about a cruise ship is that you're traveling in a bubble. No matter where you go you've always got good quality facilities and food right there. They also have baby sitters and kids camp facilities.