We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EMH vs Recommended Park

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston
Level Contributor
210 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
EMH vs Recommended Park

Have been working on "The Plan" now for several months. Arriving DW August 31 ~have 4 day Park Hopper with the Water Parks and more. Arrival day ~ DTD for looking around, getting tickets and Photo Pass Plus activated, DQ, and eat dinner; 1 park per day for 4 days plus 1 day between for water park. Will have EMH privileges and plan on being at RD for the morning EMHs (will work better than evening EMHs with our kids).

So.. when I began "The Plan" I chose park days based on early EMH ~ made all ADRs getting exactly what I wanted ~ and then started daily in park activities. Here is the part I do not understand ~ after much more research I discovered our planned park days are NOT recommended, I guess because of being EMH days. I had missed that nugget of info before "The Plan" was developed. So how do you experts with EMH availability base your park days ~ using EMH or park recommendations? Someone suggested changing around my park days to match recommendations, but I hesitate to do so as my perfect ADRs are based on that day's park.

pa
Level Contributor
53,825 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: EMH vs Recommended Park

If you are staying at a Disney Resort by all means take advantage of the EMH. The sites that make those Recommended park days are basing them on Not Going to the EMH park because it will already be filled with Resorts guests but for those Resort Guests, it's Lovely, almost like having the Park to yourself in morning and so much fun late at night. We plan our whole stay around taking advantage of the evening EMH

I am concerned you're getting a Ticket type you Don't really need. If you are going to one Park each day you Don't need the Hopper Option, you will save $57 per person by dropping that. The water Parks and more option is fine since you will visit a water Park and DQ, that is cost effective :)

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
17,300 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: EMH vs Recommended Park

EMH days are not recommended for off site guests, so you will be fine with what you have. Have a great trip :)

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
177 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: EMH vs Recommended Park

At this late stage, I wouldn't change plans. You'll never get your ADR worked back out again, believe me I know. You should be fine in the mornings because even with extra hours most just won't get up for them. If you are going to have issues it will be around lunch when new guests start to enter the park. At this point, if it starts to get too crowded just use your hopper to jump to another park, preferably Epcot or Hollywood as those tour better in the afternoon and evening than AK or MK do. You will be amazed at how much you can see in those first few hours, especially when you have that 1 extra morning hour. It makes a big difference.

Mechanicsville...
Level Contributor
223 posts
359 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: EMH vs Recommended Park

I find that morning EMH hours work best if you are among the first in the park when the rope drops at opening. My family only goes to morning EMH if it’s one of the first days we’re there, and it’s at a park we are really interested in (HWS, MK). Ask yourself if your family is able to be up and at a park at 6:30am? If you are using WDW buses, that means getting on a bus around 6:00am – depending on where you are staying. If you can drive to the park, you have to factor in walking and tram time to get to the gate.

We prefer to go to the park that had evening EMH the night before – most WDW hotel guests will be going to the morning EMH park - if they can get out of bed. For the time you are going, any park is going to get crowed by 10 or 11AM – so go early! I would not change my dinning reservation as good restaurant are hard to get the closer you get to your visit.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: EMH vs Recommended Park

I went through the same situation last month for our first visit - having made my plans to go to the parks to take advantage of EMH but then ended up changing completely and only doing one early morning at MK. I did check to see if I could change all my ADR's and was able to. In fact, I was able to book some of the most popular places - Chef Mickey's for dinner; Ohana and Tusker House for breakfast; Coral Reef for dinner - just a few days before leaving.

Houston
Level Contributor
210 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: EMH vs Recommended Park

Thanks for the feedback ~ guess I did OK. We are staying at Shades of Green so will have EMH available. I went back and forth on the hopper option, but the reason I am keeping it is the tickets are only $28 more (military discount) and on AK day I thought after a short afternoon break we could hop over to MK for dinner and spend some time in the evening getting our bearings and possibly riding a few rides in the new FantasyLand. Also, if the crowds get too heavy for us we can take a break and hop to another park for a parade or fireworks.Trying to keep things somewhat flexible in contrast to my fantasy "commando" schedule.

For an 8:00 AM EMH at AK, or EPCOT, or MK will we need to be on the bus by 6 AM? What if we ride the monorail from the Poly? My schedule has us to be on the bus or monorail by 6:45 AM so I may need to revise.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: EMH vs Recommended Park

You do not need to be there that early. There is no advantage to showing up an hour and a half before the EMH. Be there when it opens, maybe 15 minutes early.

Niagara-on-the-Lake...
Level Contributor
42 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: EMH vs Recommended Park

We are planning that same weekend around EMH,also hoping that the forums etc are right that labour day weekend is slower. On Sunday, it says MK is open until 2am! Not likely we will make it that long but we are planning to beat the heat with water parks, have dinner at Epcot, then head over to Mk for the whole night! Animal kingdom EMH were good in the morning as its cool and the animals are up, I think that weekend the EMH hours are Sunday as well. Cross our fingers for a great week!

Ventnor City, New...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando
Level Contributor
4,159 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: EMH vs Recommended Park

No, you DEFINITELY DON'T need to be at a Disney bus stop at 6 a.m. because:

A) There are no buses doing 6 a.m. pickups

B) There is NO NEED to be at a gate 90 minutes before rope drop ... on any day under any circumstances.

The prior poster may desire to be the very first family there, and that's fine, but I can assure you that if you get there 2 minutes before rope drop you're going to be terrific. Once, I <<< GASP! >>> showed up 5 minutes AFTER an EMH rope drop at Magic Kingdom and still did everything we wanted to do.

It's not accurate that most on-site Disney guests take advantage of EMH. Number one, I'll wager that most Disney guests don't know what EMH is. And number two, most Disney guests aren't willing to get moving that early for morning EMH. We here on message boards either know a lot or want to learn a lot, but we have to realize that we are a tiny minority of Disney vacationers. If you don't believe me, try to give away FASTPASSes you don't need ... most people look at you like you're trying to scam them or hurt them ... but then you find that rate someone who knows exactly the advantage you're giving them for free.

10. Re: EMH vs Recommended Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2014, 06:17