We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sun screen problem!

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
2,998 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Sun screen problem!

Serious question which I’ve posted on a few different forums.

I use Boots own brand of sun tan lotion and whenever I’m lying round the pool and the sweat runs in my eyes, they sting all day!

I’ve tried using an eye wash, which helps a little.

My question is ‘what sun screen do you use’?

Better still, have you had the same trouble and changed your sun screen…..did it stop the stinging?

It’s starting to bug me.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Smyrna, TN
Level Contributor
193 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sun screen problem!

I'm partial to Australian Gold. When I first began using it I could only find it in Florida, now it seems to be readily available in a lot of locations. I have never had a problem with it stinging my eyes (although I try to be careful when applying). You might want to think about using a product made specifically for the face as it would be more gentle.

New Orleans
Level Contributor
122 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sun screen problem!

I wonder if the sunblock sticks might work better for your face? I use a sunscreen moisturizer my dermatologist recommended for use on the face, it's called Elta, and I've also not had a problem with any burning when it gets in my eyes.

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
2,998 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sun screen problem!

Good suggestions......Thanks!

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
16,759 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sun screen problem!

I don't like using regular suncreen on my face. I use Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch on my face. As the name suggests it's not at all greasy feeling and I've never had the problem with it dripping into my eyes like regular sunscreen often does. I also do my best to apply it before I leave the house as you really should with any of them. At the end of a long day in the sun whether it's the pool, beach, or parks, I don't think anything feels great on your face. Time for soap and water!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,777 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sun screen problem!

Use a clear spray (apply with your fingers around your face), or use the sticks.

I use sunglasses when sunbathing, so dont get runny eye.

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
2,998 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sun screen problem!

Thanks to everyone.

I've had some great advice all over the world.

It seems like I'm the only idiot left putting the wrong sun tan lotion on my head.

I have been educated!

Cheers

Davy !!!

Cumbria
Level Contributor
228 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sun screen problem!

Hi, I had exactly the same issue until I used Coppertone sport (spray or cream). The spray is better and easy to apply as it is a mist. When you sweat it doesn't sting your eyes at all. You can purchase cheaply at Walmart or if in uk via Amazon. I wouldn't be without it.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,777 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sun screen problem!

That sport spray is the 'clear' type I was suggesting (although you can get it in the other brands).

I spray it on my fingers and apply carefully to my face. Once it dries, it doesn't run into your eyes. Although I dont put it above my eyes much as I use sunglasses and only apply to my forehead and not the upper lids.

Scotland
Level Contributor
443 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sun screen problem!

I use the ambre solaire sun screen stick on my kids faces for that reason, one of them always got bothered with stinging eyes but not with the stick.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
19,285 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sun screen problem!

You are not an idiot-you have to try a variety of sunblock brands before finding one that is effective,doesn't irritate your skin or your eyes. We have thrown away many varieties over the years. What works for us is Neutrogena spray which is terrific but we dont' spray it on our faces,we put it on our hands and apply it that way. It doesn't have a heavy fragrance,doesn't sting and works great. The only drawback;it leaks if you don't keep the spray can upright.