We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear at Christmas?

Tiffin, Ohio
Level Contributor
10 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
What to wear at Christmas?

This will be our first Christmas-time trip to Orlando. What is the appropriate apparel? If we go to the luau at the Polynesian, what shall I wear? This may seem like a silly topic, but we are from Ohio and have not ventured out of state much for the holidays. I am guessing that my wool sweaters and skirts may be out of place in a Florida holiday.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Ohio
Ohio
United States
Florida
Florida
United States
pa
Level Contributor
54,826 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear at Christmas?

Well, your woollies may not be out of place, it can get pretty chilly in Orlando at Christmas time, nothing as drastic as we get up north but still, we have had to wear hoodies and hats and even gloves on occasion

Pack clothes you can layer, for the evenings, jeans will most likely be in order

More important than your clothes, bring a lot of Patience, it is the Busiest, Craziest time to visit . If you do want to go to any special dinner shows or dining experiences, book them ASAP

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
13,164 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear at Christmas?

Brightly coloured Santa Hat:-) maybe with LED lights;-) & a huge bobble..

My two always wear them, I struggle to get them to take them off.

They wouldn't put them on at home:-)

Then as partypa says....

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,543 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear at Christmas?

Red and green!

You'll have to be prepared for a range of temperatures. It's capable of a range from 30s to 80s though those highs and lows are not sustained temperatures. There is a good chance you'll be able to wear shorts during the day. At night, almost certainly you'll want jeans or pants and at least a sweatshirt. Coats, hats, gloves potentially if we have a front. In short, be prepared. Bring layers.

Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,067 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear at Christmas?

Layers. Long pants,light long sleeved T shirts for daytime,a sweater,fleecies,glves,hats,bring them all. its chilly at night even if it is warm during the day. We have worn our ski parka during the day in Orlando. Never worn shorts or tank tops at Christmas but we do swim-the Disney pools(and many others) are heated though the air is often cold. Better to be prepared than shivering at a nightime parade

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Tiffin, Ohio
Level Contributor
10 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear at Christmas?

I am so glad I asked. Thank you all for the advice. I think I may have been unprepared otherwise. We are hoping to swim at the resort during the day and had heard the Polnesian pools are warm enough for Ohio standards. But I would not have thought to pack gloves for the parade and fireworks part of the evening.

Mentioned in this post
Ohio
Ohio
United States
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
37,374 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to wear at Christmas?

You'll have to wait a few days before your departure to decide for certain. You could be in gloves and sweaters and not even thinking of swimming, or you could be in shorts and flip-flops and trying to stay cool -- there's just no way to tell at this point.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What to wear at Christmas?

Your souvenir Minnie or Mickey t-shirt that you buy on your first day :)

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,627 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to wear at Christmas?

In mid December 2009, we took what would be considered a "short" trip to WDW for us, being we were there only from late Tuesday to Saturday morning.

In those short four days, we went from wearing only shorts and t-shirts to needing heavy winter clothes as a cold front came through and dropped the daily high temp over 30 degrees in one day's time.

Pack for multiple seasons, and put an emphasis on items you can layer and shed easily.

Edited: 23 July 2013, 15:42
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to wear at Christmas?

I would say to keep checking the weather channel for the 10 day forecast up until the day you leave! I have been there in December twice (and am going again this December :)) and one year it was fairly mild, meaning i was wearing long sleeve shirts and was pretty warm in them, but two years ago they had an extreme chill and we wore jackets and long sleeves and shoes/socks every day we were there.

Here's to hoping this December is another mild one!!

Tiffin, Ohio
Level Contributor
10 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to wear at Christmas?

So, is it socially acceptable to wear "summer-time" clothes in December if the weather permits it?