We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orlando 2013 Trip Report - Days 7, 8, & 9

Berkshire, United...
Level Contributor
389 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Orlando 2013 Trip Report - Days 7, 8, & 9

Day 7

Up early again, and time for the big one – Magic Kingdom. Wow – it was so busy here today. We arrived at the car park a little later than planned at about 9.15am after taking a wrong turn! Both lines for the ferry and monorail were colossal! We decided to take the ferry, and even though the journey itself takes a little longer, the line looked shorted, and it can carry many more than the monorail. I think this turned out to be the right decision, even though we were waiting to get on the ferry for about 40 minutes. We made our way to the other end of the ferry boat though, rather than going upstairs, and were one of the first off. The bag line queue was again long, similar to the entry gate queue. All in all it took us about 90 minutes to get from the car to be inside the park gates – phew!

We headed straight over to adventure land – got a FP for Thunder Mountain, and waited in line for 30 minutes to ride Splash Mountain. We then made our way over to the Haunted Mansion – which was closed because of technical difficulties. We hung around here for a few minutes, topping up our sunscreen, and all of a sudden the ride opened and everyone started pushing and shoving to get in. we quickly put the sun screen away and followed the crowd, and luckily walked straight on, even though the ride was still being temperamental, and kept stopping and starting on the way round! After this we hopped onto the ferry that takes you around the lake. We made our way over to Fantasyland – which was just not enjoyable at all – it was so hot, and the crowds were insane – we didn’t bother to stop for anything here, as the wait times were also crazy! We walked straight around to tomorrow land, and went on the carousel of progress – I know it’s not a “huge attraction” but I really liked the way it was put together, and thought it was really interesting. We then went on the Monsters Inc Laugh floor – which really was just that – a laugh! I still haven’t worked out how they do it though – but however they do it was very clever. At one point the light shined in my face, and I panicked thinking I was going to have to do something silly, but luckily the face of the lady behind me popped up on the screen – Phew! After this it was about 4.30pm so we headed out, and stopped by at Wal Mart, as I had seen a bargain laptop a few days before that was out of stock at the time. When we went back it was in stock luckily – So got it – an “Ultra Book” for $300 which was a bargain. We picked up some other essentials (bottled water etc.) and popped into TGI’s again for a quick dinner, and then spent the rest of the evening in the hotel pool.

Day 8

And what a day this was! Our plan was to head down to Tampa and go to Busch Gardens until Lunch – then head over to Clearwater Beach for the afternoon and back to Busch for their Summer Nights fireworks. Let’s just say that didn’t exactly go to plan – but more about that later! We left Orlando at about 8.15am and arrived at Busch just after 9.15am for park opening at 9.30am. We started off by going on the River Rapids – which we both loved – but got completely wet through! OH then had a go at getting others wet by paying 25c to blast jets at people going past on the rapids – very funny! New OH went on Sheikra (I didn’t, although I have been on before, but got scared off, as when we were going up on the ride, my seat restraint came loose and I had to click it back into place before that huge drop! – that was a couple of years ago though). Anyway, after that we wondered around to see the tigers and other animals, and took the train through the Serengeti Plain. I wanted to go on Cheetah Hunt, as this is my favorite ride, but the queue was long, so we decided to do this when we were back later in the day. So we got some lunch at Busch, and headed back to the car to make our way to the beach. We had just driven out of our car parking space, and along the parking lot, when this silly woman reversed out of her space without looking and BANG right in the side of the Mustang! Me and my OH looked at each other not quite knowing what to do, when the lady in the car came over and started apologizing. She took all responsibility for what happened, and gave us her insurance detail. So – now what. Well we drove out of Busch Gardens and spotted an Avis branch across the road (conveniently). So we pulled in and spoke to the guy in there. He suggested we swap the car, as the lady had managed to leave a rather large dent, along with several big scrapes to the paint work. He told us we needed to fill in an incident form, which we did, and he tried to get us to swap the Mustang for one of the cars he had at the branch. But being a small branch he had about 5 cars to choose from – and nothing that suited our needs. So – back to Orlando we went. Rather than go all the way back to Sandford, we took it to Orlando Airport, where we managed to swap the car for another Mustang – a white Hardtop one (we didn’t mind, as we had only used the convertible part of the other one twice anyway – too hot!) So, that messed up our plans for the beach and Busch Garden fireworks – but never mind. We once we had the new car, we headed back to the Long Horn Steakhouse for dinner – for another delicious steak (and much better service!). After that we headed back for an early night, as we had both had enough after all the fuss from the day!

Day 9

Today we had a well-deserved chill out day (sort of) we got up at 9.30am, and headed over to Denny’s Diner for a brunch, which was yummy! We then headed over to Blizzard Beach and arrived at about 12.30pm. We made our way around the park, as well as making time to relax in the sun for a while. We did pretty much everything there was to do at Blizzard Beach, and left for the evening at about 7.00pm. We went to Uno’s for dinner, which was yummy! And then headed back to the hotel for another early night.

Mentioned in this post
Magic Kingdom Park
Magic Kingdom Park
59,568 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Splash Mountain
Splash Mountain
319 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Haunted Mansion
Haunted Mansion
305 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Busch Gardens
Busch Gardens
14,740 Reviews
Tampa, FL
Clearwater Beach
Clearwater Beach
10,005 Reviews
Clearwater, FL
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Denny's
Denny's
1,534 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,391 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orlando 2013 Trip Report - Days 7, 8, & 9

Oh bugger about the crash!!!! What a shame you didn't get to go to the beach or the night show at Busch Gardens. Maybe next time if you didn't manage to get back there this trip.

Thanks for sharing your reports. I have 9 mths to wait for our first trip to Florida and the reports help so much :-)

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Berkshire, United...
Level Contributor
389 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orlando 2013 Trip Report - Days 7, 8, & 9

Hi, thanks! I'm glad my reports have helped! Yes, our little incident in the car was a pain - but as you say - there's always next time! I'm sure the next 9 months will fly by for you, and you'll be in Orlando before you know it! I hope you have a really great time :)

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
3. Re: Orlando 2013 Trip Report - Days 7, 8, & 9

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2014, 06:21