We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sat nav

glasgow
Level Contributor
62 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Sat nav

Is it easy and well signposted to travel from Highland Reserve to Disney and Universal parks or is Sat Nav essential.If so cheapest place to rent one or just get from car hire company.thanks xx

Magic Kingdom Park
Theme Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Disney's Animal Kingdom
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Theme Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Epcot
Theme Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Disney's Typhoon Lagoon Water Park
Water Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Bletchley, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sat nav

Its impossible to get lost if your only going to the Parks, You;ll be on i 4 for Universal thats well signposted, Disney is too. But if you want to get away from the parks [It can be tiring] Then i suggest you buy one from Walmart, Probably almost the same price as Hiring one.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
17,209 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sat nav

Yes, buy one. It's not really necessary, but if you want it - get one to keep.

"Is it easy and well signposted to travel from Highland Reserve to Disney and Universal parks"

Ten minutes spent with Google Maps will show you the way. Do a routing before you leave home, print it and have it in your posession when you drive.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
61 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sat nav

You can pick one up from WalMart for about $120 which comes with lifetime map updates. I've bought a few of them myself. To rent one before you go it'll cost you £30 for two weeks. If you rent directly with the hire company then it'll cost you about £75+ for two weeks.

Although you'll learn the routes to the theme parks I still prefer taking a sat nav. Just takes away some of the stress and as they have lane guidance & traffic alerts it may just avoid you having to sit in a traffic jam.

Boxborough...
Level Contributor
1,890 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sat nav

If you plan on returning to Orlando regularly or are visiting places off the beaten track, then it is probably worth while. If you are only going from your hotel to the parks/restaurants/shopping, then it is not needed. The roads are well marked. I find it helpful to use Google maps to print maps and to use Street View to look at the destination.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sat nav

Is this your first driving trip in the US and Orlando? For tourists driving on the different side of the road in a foreign country and a foreign car on foreign roads, it is different to reading maps and road signs whilst driving. It will make your life alot easier if you have a GPS (sat nav) with you.

Yes you can do without but it will be easier.

glasgow
Level Contributor
62 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sat nav

Thanks for posts x

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sat nav

If you have an iPhone/android smartphone, download Navfree USA, and install the Florida maps. It's free, and is very good, we've used it the last 2 trips.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sat nav

You don't need one to get to the parks.

We got our first one ever- for my husband. We used it this summer in England (fine for the most part) and France- where it took us the wrong way about 20% of the time even though I updated the maps. It took us off a motorway on tiny country roads, wasting time, and tried to take us 15 miles out of our way another time.

I would use it, but I'd be sure to have maps available as well for when it takes you a very silly way. And god forbid there is an accident on the motorway. Had to get off the M6 to catch the ferry home on time and cross-country to chester and the birkenhead tunnel as the M6 was blocked between 18, 19. Kept telling us to turn around, so had to shut her off lol.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,828 posts
1,912 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sat nav

I rented one from the UK for the two weeks I went for. You can use Google to find firms that rent it and its much cheaper than hiring it from the car hire firms.

I use a Sat Nav in my car all the time, and I found it essential in Orlando.

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sat nav

Bought 1 on eBay with American maps ( loads for sale at the mo)

Will us it on my trip then sell on eBay when I get back so should work out almost free !!!