We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downtown Orlando

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
67 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Downtown Orlando

I am going to Orlando in September with my girlfriend. We are both in our 28 and staying on International Drive next to the premium outlets. Whilst we are there we want to go to a proper nightclub and I was thinking Downtown Orlando would be the best place to go. Ideally hip hop/RnB music.

Also am I right in thinking we could get the Lynx bus route 8 there? We would probably need to get a cab back. Any idea of much that would be?

Thanks in advance.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,826 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Downtown Orlando

Is it really worth it? It is an hour there on a bus and then a $30, maybe more, cab ride back. I wouldn't say that Orlando is noted for great clubs. I'd go to BB Kings or the House of Blues and call it a night.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,485 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Downtown Orlando

Downtown Orlando, as in Church St is not the safest place to be late at night

try "Universal City" and "Pleasure Island" far safer.

London
Level Contributor
67 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Downtown Orlando

My girlfriend has never been to the States before and she thinks the clubs wil be amazing. Maybe I can get away with just going City Walk as I'm not that fussed.

Is downtown worth a visit anyway? Is there much going on at Church Street Station these days?

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
3,984 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Downtown Orlando

Downtown Orlando is safe, and well worth a visit at night if you're younger and want to go bar hopping. They do have a number of clubs, although it's been too many decades since I was in any of them. There are numerous bars and restaurants, and a lot of activity at night. Do stay on the skyscraper side of the interstate though. A block or two west starts getting into the badlands.

Pleasure Island is gone, as is most of what was Church Steet, although there should be a few places open. City Walk is OK, although it is kind of touristy.

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
9,918 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Downtown Orlando

I'm not a night life person so this isn't a recoimmendation. If you want to go DownTown then you get there either on

- LYNX 8; runs all day every day, frequently, but is fairly slow

- LYNX 38; runs a 15 minute frequency (30 at weekends) but only at peak hours - see schedule: www.golynx.com/plan-trip/maps-schedules.stml Calls at stops on I-Drive north of Sea World (and a few other stops in the Sea World area) up to WetNWild. Is faster than 8.

- LYNX 50 from Sea Harbor Drive. This is the quickest service - via the Interstate - but only if it's convenient for you to catch it. Runs every 30 minutes all day every day till quite late. You say you are staying on I-Drive "next to Premium Outlets". That's rather vague, especially as there are two Premiums on or near IDrive several miles apart. However, if you are coming from the south end, then hopping off the 8 on Sea Harbor Drive and transferring to a 50 (no extra cost - ask for a transfer ticket when you pay) will save time, traffic permitting.

London
Level Contributor
67 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Downtown Orlando

Thanks for the responses. I might just take a drive down there one night and see what's going on. If I decide it is worth going back for a few drinks we will catch the bus :)

I think we are at the southern end, our hotel is literally adjacent to premium outlets. Its the Hilton Grand Vacation Suites on I-Drive.

Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
3,491 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Downtown Orlando

"Howl at the Moon", there is one right on I Drive

http://bit.ly/ReadytoHowl

http://bit.ly/Howl_DontStop

I guarantee you'll have a great night.

David

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
9,918 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Downtown Orlando

South end:- So, get a northbound 8, pay $2 and ask for a transfer ticket. Alight on Sea Harbor Drive and transfer to 50, using the transfer ticket.

9. Re: Downtown Orlando

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2014, 06:20