We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather for August

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
Weather for August

Going to Orlando in 6 days and i'm looking on AccuWeather (not sure how realiable they/it is) and the weather for 1st through 10th looks very poor. Especially 1st (the day we go), 4th, 5th and 6th. I know the weather can change, especially since some of the dates are still about 14 days away and even the weather for 1st onwards can change as it's still 6 days away. How realiable is the forecast that's 4/5+ days away?

How realiable is AccuWeather when it comes to the forecast? See, I don't mind abit of thunder and abit of rain but on the 1st alone it says 3 hours of rain and on the 4rd it says 4 hours!! It feels like it's going to be a washout if this is true? I know it's summer, which is the rainy season but I don't know if any of the rides at the parks close because of rain? When it does rain is it still warm?

I don't know what to think/expect when it. Also now i've asked, I feel like i've jinked it anymore lol

accuweather.com/en/…

Edited: 26 July 2013, 22:26
Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,161 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather for August

Accuweather is probably reasonably accurate, but may be misleading. Summer weather in Florida has a large component of local-scale happenings, including sea breezes (which depending on the day may be mainly from the Gulf, the Atlantic, or equally strong from both coasts). Sea breeze "fronts" generate thunderstorms, especially when the fronts from the Gulf and Atlantic collide....often enough, over Orlando. Thunderstorms, in turn, generate outflows of cool air that cause surrounding warm air to rise, making more thunderstorms.

With all this going on, some areas will receive heavy rain for part of the day, others won't. Storms can develop and dissipate fast. It's nothing like the business of having sheets of cloud covering the sky and dropping light to moderate rain all day, or for days on end.

There is a chance of tropical weather systems (tropical waves, depressions, storms, and rarely hurricanes) creating a day or more of wet, blustery weather, but the chances are higher in September.

A 50 to 60 percent chance of rain may merely mean a passing shower, with sun most of the day.

For a bit of contrast, here's the National Weather Service site that covers Orlando:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mlb/

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather for August

So basically, I should view Orlando as like the UK? Some parts of the UK getting nice weather, other parts getting ok-good weather and the rest getting ok-bad(ish) weather? If that makes any sense?

Edited: 26 July 2013, 23:48
Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
176 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather for August

The weather also changes very quickly, from good to bad and bad to good.

Regarding whether it is still warm when it rains, yes it really is still very warm and, after the rain, can be very humid.

Don't think about the weather prospects for your vacation...it definitely won't be a washout and you may even be glad of some rain. You'll enjoy it regardless

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather for August

Yeah, we probably will be glad of abit of rain on them really sunny humid days. How does the rain affect the rides at the parks? (Disney, Universal & Sea World). Do they shut if it's raining like they would in the UK theme parks? Here you just need a little bit of drizzle and their shut for hours... even the water rides!!! lol

Also, does Thunderstorms affect Orlando Int Airport often, affecting the delay and arrivals of planes? As we arrive around 7:20pm, don't know how often storms affect mid-evening?

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
17,267 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather for August

Outdoor rides will close if there's lightening within a certain distance. We've been in August a few times and this only happened twice. If you get heavy rain that is not stopping they will probably close the outdoor rides, this happened maybe 2 or 3 times. We love going in August and wouldn't hesitate going at that time again. One time it was raining in downtown disney where we were and back at the hotel (beach club at disney) where my friend's husband and son were it didn't rain at all. Don't worry, have a great trip :)

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather for August

Trippa, looking at the weather forecast ain't gonna change anything. Be positive, get out there and have a great time, rain or shine.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,669 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather for August

"How realiable is AccuWeather when it comes to the forecast?"

Not very reliable. Let me give several reasons why I feel this way.

1. They never give the probability of any precipitation (expressed as a %) Without knowing this people conclude that it's going to rain all day when the probability may be 10% or even 20%.

2. They attempt to give monthly forecasts when anyone who know our weather knows that about five days out is about as accurate as you can get. This is just plain stupid in my opinion and they mislead a lot of people who are not aware of their shortcomings.

" I don't mind abit of thunder and abit of rain but on the 1st alone it says 3 hours of rain and on the 4rd it says 4 hours!! It feels like it's going to be a washout if this is true?"

That is completely, 100% wrong. Unless we have a major tropical weather system coming through (the media will be all over this story), there are no washouts coming. Stop using Accuweather and use weather.com instead.

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather for August

Thanks for the information. Only started visiting AccuWeather since yesterday, used weather.com a few times but forgot about them completely. Looking at weather.com it looks better than AccuWeather when it comes to forecasts and explaining the forecast in goo detail.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,161 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather for August

Orlando weather is unlike the UK in that the peninsula's land mass heats up quickly in the sun. It's a perfect breeding ground for showers and storms (cumulus clouds). It's fairly normal to get a brief downpour, followed by the cool, humid post-rain temperatures while the clouds last.

10. Re: Weather for August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2014, 06:19